Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your favourite season?
Spring 18 23.08%
Summer 24 30.77%
Fall 19 24.36%
Winter 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:45 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbereth View Post
I don't think the Canadians would change their minds
^^ Yeah, why would August days of 75-80 F with partly-cloudy skies change our minds?

(if anything, it would help most Canadians hate the approaching autumn and winter even more )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 11:19 AM

175 posts, read 324,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
^^ Yeah, why would August days of 75-80 F with partly-cloudy skies change our minds?

(if anything, it would help most Canadians hate the approaching autumn and winter even more )

That's right. Aside from Southern Ontario, we don't have much of a summer to hate it anyway Some of the warmest parts of Canada (Victoria, Vancouver, St. John's) actually have really mild summers.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
That's right. Aside from Southern Ontario, we don't have much of a summer to hate it anyway Some of the warmest parts of Canada (Victoria, Vancouver, St. John's) actually have really mild summers.
Actually, our summers can be quite nice, and can be quite long... potentially. (
Some years summer starts in early May and last until late-Sep, even-early Oct (1-in-5 summers?)
*By long summer, I meant summer in the Ontario sense, which is 65+ F and sun predominates most daylight hours.

Anyways, so I don't have to reload pictures,
check out these pics from Labour Day: (which has similar weather to August)
//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...we-take-2.html
(my pics are post #17, near the bottom of pg 2 )

Take a careful look and you will probably see through that group of people, no one looks particularly hot, (red faced from heat) sweaty or cold.
(Should show why most people here hate the beginning of autumn, with the sudden 15-30 F drop in temps from the first cool/cold snap )

Old 04-11-2010, 08:50 PM

175 posts, read 324,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Actually, our summers can be quite nice, and can be quite long... potentially. (
Some years summer starts in early May and last until late-Sep, even-early Oct (1-in-5 summers?)
*By long summer, I meant summer in the Ontario sense, which is 65+ F and sun predominates most daylight hours.

Anyways, so I don't have to reload pictures,
check out these pics from Labour Day: (which has similar weather to August)
//www.city-data.com/forum/austr...we-take-2.html
(my pics are post #17, near the bottom of pg 2 )

Take a careful look and you will probably see through that group of people, no one looks particularly hot, (red faced from heat) sweaty or cold.
(Should show why most people here hate the beginning of autumn, with the sudden 15-30 F drop in temps from the first cool/cold snap )
You're surely talking about Southern Ontario summer, of which I agree completely But what I was trying to say was, most of Canada (even places with milder winter than Southern Ontario such as Vancouver area, St. John's, Halifax, etc) actually has very mild summer. I just can't imagine people living in these areas hating summer as it's not that hot that it's unbearable NYC is different in the sense that, sometimes, it gets hot enough that you're starting to hate it...

Those were some nice pictures by the way.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
You're surely talking about Southern Ontario summer, of which I agree completely But what I was trying to say was, most of Canada (even places with milder winter than Southern Ontario such as Vancouver area, St. John's, Halifax, etc) actually has very mild summer. I just can't imagine people living in these areas hating summer as it's not that hot that it's unbearable NYC is different in the sense that, sometimes, it gets hot enough that you're starting to hate it...

Those were some nice pictures by the way.
"Ontario sense" I meant it as a quick way of saying southern Ontario.
Didn't mean to exclude northern Ontario in particular, but 80-90% of Ontario's population lives in southern Ontario, though it's a much smaller land area.

Imho, all of southern Ontario (save extreme SW Ontario like Windsor/Chatham; known for very-high humidty) has mild summers.
Of course what's considered "mild" is relative.

Glad you liked them.
Hope other members liked them too.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
I totally agree. If I lived in Canada, I definitely would not be saying in September, "well thank god this is over". Maybe if I were dying for some winter sports but probably not even then.

For the record, I voted for summer as my favorite season. I just have 2 gripes:
1. Temperature wise NYC summers are fine but I just wish they were a little less humid.
2. I love sleeping with windows open and on many summer nights here it is too hot to sleep comfortably.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Fall is my favorite season. The dreadful heat, humidity, and stagnant, polluted air of late summer finally leave, and the first cool fronts are delightful. It's better than spring because there is typically less severe weather, and is the best time for a vacation to the mountains on a motorcycle, with the golden aspen leaves changing.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Fall is my favorite season. The dreadful heat, humidity, and stagnant, polluted air of late summer finally leave, and the first cool fronts are delightful. It's better than spring because there is typically less severe weather, and is the best time for a vacation to the mountains on a motorcycle, with the golden aspen leaves changing.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:48 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Summer of course, followed by Spring. I wish Summer was a tad hotter (I know I'm crazy), and this Spring weather is perfect.

Gripes:
Fall: feels extra cold because you're just coming from Summer heat, I hate this season the most because it means Summer is going away.
Winter: I hate cold, big Winter coats, & brown trees.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 PM

290 posts, read 388,627 times
I can never decide:

The warmth of Summer,
The colours of Autumn,
The early nights of Winter,
Or the fresh smell of Spring.

I think hot weather and Sun wins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather