Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times

Advertisements

Theory test sounds like an odd word, like it's science or something. We have a driving rules test, but they make it very easy, I think just about everyone passes it. It's only for getting a permit. I failed my road test the first. NY makes you do a parellel park and 3 point turn.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Well its not easy if you don't revise.

I got 40 out of 50 and you have to get 43. Lol.. typical.
But I seem to get like 38 to 41 each time I do a practise test so I need to get my result unto 50 this time before going and doing it. I think its just pot luck because the boundary is quite high tbh. I mean 86%.

And I can do a three point turn well but only did parallel once. My driving instructor is quite irritating though because he keeps telling me to brake at every corner and when we are coming upto a junction and i'm doing 40 he will make me brake like 200 yards from the junction then i'm coming upto the junction at like 2mph. I'm personally not going to do half the stuff I was taught to do because its just daft and I don't know if its a good idea to do that but um I'll do it lol.

I watched my next door neighbour drive into school one day and she was braking at every corner and she was only doing 20mph. Seriously they teach us stuff that is just so daft.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Well its not easy if you don't revise.

I got 40 out of 50 and you have to get 43. Lol.. typical.
But I seem to get like 38 to 41 each time I do a practise test so I need to get my result unto 50 this time before going and doing it. I think its just pot luck because the boundary is quite high tbh. I mean 86%.

And I can do a three point turn well but only did parallel once. My driving instructor is quite irritating though because he keeps telling me to brake at every corner and when we are coming unto a junction and i'm doing 40 he will make me brake like 200 yards from the junction then i'm coming upto the junction at like 2mph. I'm personally not going to do half the stuff I was taught to do because its just daft and I don't know if its a good idea to do that but um I'll do it lol.

I watched my next door neighbour drive into school one day and she was braking at every corner and she was only doing 20mph. Seriously they teach us stuff that is just so daft.
Be glad you don't live in Germany - I've heard that getting a driver's license there is as difficult as getting a Private Pilot's license here in the States...lol. They take driving seriously over there.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Theory test sounds like an odd word, like it's science or something. We have a driving rules test, but they make it very easy, I think just about everyone passes it. It's only for getting a permit. I failed my road test the first. NY makes you do a parellel park and 3 point turn.
Well it's different there. Here, the theory test and the driving test is just about entrapment, difficult unlikely situations so that you know the rules by heart and stay aware. I managed the theory test, but barely passed the driving test. My sister had to do the theory test 3 times.

Now, of course I can make a 3-point-turn in seconds without even rotating my head.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Mac15: Haven't you taken a few practical lessons already? Strange, here we have to pass the theory test before taking the first driving lesson.

Thankfully, I passed both the first time. The process still took nearly 2 years (yeah took my time). The last lesson before the final test the instructor told me something in the lines of: "I see that you're taking the next next Thursday... Well, good luck, you'll really need it". Gee, driving lessons were terrible. Never again.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Mac15: Haven't you taken a few practical lessons already? Strange, here we have to pass the theory test before taking the first driving lesson.
Typical French. Theory first, practice later. I took the first driving lesson on a quiet side street and a couple of lessons later I were on the highway and in the city center.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Lol. Makes sense to me though. If you don't know jack about the rules, how will you able to operate a vehicle in traffic?

On the first lesson, the instructor took me to this busy highway at rush hour:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=paris&...114.73,,0,9.52

Test tells me that you know the rules? Then prove it!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Be glad you don't live in Germany - I've heard that getting a driver's license there is as difficult as getting a Private Pilot's license here in the States...lol. They take driving seriously over there.
Hmm well they will be hard.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Thankfully, I passed both the first time. The process still took nearly 2 years (yeah took my time). The last lesson before the final test the instructor told me something in the lines of: "I see that you're taking the next next Thursday... Well, good luck, you'll really need it". Gee, driving lessons were terrible. Never again.
Yes. I've done 27 hours of lessons.

I can do pretty much everything but I don't think he trusts me. Every two weeks or so he lets me do something new like he let me goto 5th gear yesterday.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Lol. Makes sense to me though. If you don't know jack about the rules, how will you able to operate a vehicle in traffic?

On the first lesson, the instructor took me to this busy highway at rush hour:
https://maps.google.fr/maps?q=paris&...114.73,,0,9.52

Test tells me that you know the rules? Then prove it!
I don't mind dual carriageways but I friggen hate roundabouts and hills.

oh my god. One time I was out and the car starting rolling down this hill and I nearly died.
I will be getting an automatic car, a manual is just far to risky. Although I can change gears without even looking now so its not bal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather