Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

Depends where you go. The sea breeze undeniably has a massive effect on air temperature here.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Why wouldn't it? I mean it dosnt rise much above 13/14c.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I disagree the sea breeze can drop the tempetaure here from 24c to 14c in as little as 30 minutes.
That doesn't sound like a sea breeze to me. More like a change in airflow. It helps to understand the difference between the two. Different places have different patterns, but even so, a 10 C drop in 30 minutes doesn't sound like a sea breeze.

If there is a temp drop due to a sea breeze here, it is usually only in the order of 1-3C. The coldest nights come on days without sea breeze.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:38 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
16 degrees inside room again and my nose is running.

As to the above. Sea breezes can make a massive difference in temperature in this country. Especially along the east coast in summer and spring there can be a sea breeze lowering the temperature 7-10°C early afternoon often associated with claggy low cloud off the north sea; it develops once the inland temperatures have got pretty warm and comes rushing in. When I lived in Lincolnshire this happened, it would get really warm first then at 1PM suddenly a cold wind (even in clear conditions) would accelerate (no change in wind direction) and the temp would drop solid. And yes it is a sea breeze.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Sea breezes have a big effect on summer temps here, but more from limiting high temps, rather than bringing big drops in temperature. The cloud that forms from sea breeze most often is cumulonimbus,which collapses into low strata in the evening, giving warmer than average nights

I think the sea breeze in the UK sounds different to here. Only the lower South Island east coast would have conditions similar to those described in east coast UK. Probably because they both have colder sea temps. The sea breeze starting suddenly sounds quite different as well. The first gentle breezes can start around 9- 10 am on the hottest days.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
That doesn't sound like a sea breeze to me. More like a change in airflow. It helps to understand the difference between the two. Different places have different patterns, but even so, a 10 C drop in 30 minutes doesn't sound like a sea breeze.

If there is a temp drop due to a sea breeze here, it is usually only in the order of 1-3C. The coldest nights come on days without sea breeze.
You have to trust me the sea temperatures are really low here in the summer (13c) so they can have a massive effect on warm days if the wind is blowing off them. I don't have any snapshots but I'm sure if you look it up you'll easily find it. It's definately not a change in airflow.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
You have to trust me the sea temperatures are really low here in the summer (13c) so they can have a massive effect on warm days if the wind is blowing off them. I don't have any snapshots but I'm sure if you look it up you'll easily find it. It's definately not a change in airflow.
I know the sea temp is only 13C, it's not that warm here either at 18.6C for the warmest month.

It doesn't sound entirely like a sea breeze though. If your land/sea temp differential is that great (24C on land and 13C on the water), then your sea breeze would be starting earlier in the day, and gradually. Instead yours seem to start very suddenly, which indicate a blocking action - the air inland was able to warm, without the convection drawing colder air from the sea- because of an inversion or a offsetting wind (different air flows). That situation isn't entirely due to a sea breeze.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Well, i guess you'll have to read up about it. What I describe is accurate and it happens all over the British isles several times in the summer.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Well, i guess you'll have to read up about it. What I describe is accurate and it happens all over the British isles several times in the summer.
I not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying it doesn't sound like sea breeze alone. A blocking action stops the sea breeze from happening earlier and gradually - a bit like water damming up. The same thing can happen here (although without a 10C temp drop) at times, but I'm am able to see that there are other factors at play than just a sea breeze. The clouds inland will often tell the story.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM

777 posts, read 1,061,919 times
Seabreezes here can and will drop the temp on hot days especially in spring when the ocean and bay are still ice cold. SSTs in Port Phillip Bay are just shy of 17C atm, and when you get a breeze off such cold water it will turn a 30C day into a 20C one quick smart. As I said before, some southern coastal suburbs in Melbourne had overnight lows of 13-14C while the city and northern/inland suburbs had lows of about 22C during a warm spell back in the first week of this month. A seabreeze was present but didn't penetrate far enough north and inland to affect the city and inland suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather