Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 01:20 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Don't be silly.

You are at 41 N not 60N.

The transition between winter and spring is VERY quick here. Daylight hours increase dramatically and by around mid-april the chance of snow dramatically reduce.

Sun is too strong by mid-march for to last any long period of time unless its really really cold up above.
Stormont Castle, Belfast winter/spring averages:

February: 8/2, March: 10/3, April: 12/4

On what planet is that a very quick seasonal transition?!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,871,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I was referring to two weeks of near 70s weather not snow, that doesn't happen normally in March anywhere in the region, I know my climate rather well. Latitude is only one of many factors controlling climate.
Again, you may well do but I still disagree. I am of the opinion that there is a threshold which is reached. I believe that once it gets to March no matter how inland you are, the chances of snow at that latitude decrease dramatically and the chances of it staying long decrease dramatically (at sea level). So even if latitude is not one of the factors when it gets to a certain time of the year it is. For example, its pretty much impossible to see snow in June, May,July or August were you live and frost is probably unheard of in June.

The sun does not care were you are. If you are at the same latitude as someone else you will both get the same strength of sun.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It was the warmest March on record, so yes, it is rare. Maybe one day near 70 F towards the end of the month isn't unheard of, but nearly two weeks in the early and mid part of the month with highs well into the 70s was highly unusual.
Yea but not at your latitude. Also, it often reaches 70f here in April so it can't be that rare.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I prefer a later, cooler Spring, though not necessarily slow (a Spring that drags on from February to June is a real drag). I prefer March to be full-on winter. At that point I'm not ready for Spring. I'd like the snowpack to diminish in April along with some warm spells and rain (plus a bit of sun), but still some big wet snows occurring. By May most of the snow should be gone, with a few minor snows occurring through the rest of the month, and the second stage of Spring (blooming and so forth) taking hold by the end of the month. This would ideally be followed by a pleasantly warm summer (highs in the 60's) which would resemble late Spring in a balanced climate.

As you might guess I prefer a cooler climate than what I'd consider the norm, which is a balanced four season climate, featuring a real summer (warmth and heat dominant), a real winter (cold and snow dominant), plus two transition seasons (Spring and Autumn). In that scenario the snowpack would break up in March, followed by the onset of blooming season sometime later in April, with summery weather (warmth and heat dominate) not really taking hold until June.

It's worth noting that in a sense Spring in continental climates is actually two different seasons. There's Breakup, when the snowpack melts off and rain starts to become a regular feature of the weather (as opposed to snow). Then there's Spring proper, or Blooming Season, when the grass is green, flowers are in bloom, and it's mild to warm most of the time, with frost or ephemeral snow occurring occasionally. These two seasons could be referred to as the first and second stages of Spring.
By most standards, March would be considered a winter month in my dream climate considering the average high is 34 F/1 C. It's essentially a slightly milder winter month in which rain and days above freezing become a little more common, though such days can occur during the heart of winter in my dream climate.

Snow is possible into May and freezes are common as late is the middle of June. But for the most part, spring is in full swing by Memorial Day. Usually the first days in the 60s occur in May.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Again, you may well do but I still disagree. I am of the opinion that there is a threshold which is reached. I believe that once it gets to March no matter how inland you are, the chances of snow at that latitude decrease dramatically and the chances of it staying long decrease dramatically (at sea level). So even if latitude is not one of the factors when it gets to a certain time of the year it is. For example, its pretty much impossible to see snow in June, May,July or August were you live and frost is probably unheard of in June.

The strong does not care were you are. If you are at the same latitude as someone else you will both get the same strength of sun.
I agree with you about snow, but that's not I was talking about, I was talking about lots of 70°F weather in March.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Two weeks well into the 70s is not normal for this area in March.
It isn't RARE for your LATITUDE.

It will be reaching those temps by the end of march I bet.
You switched the subject for some reason. And getting one day of 70°F weather is very different from two weeks worth of it.

As for snow, I've had an April with 1+ foot of snow, didn't last all that long, but snow is definitely possible.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Yea but not at your latitude. Also, it often reaches 70f here in April so it can't be that rare.
Again, one day is not the same as two weeks. I'm not sure why you think you know what's normal for my climate more than me.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree with you about snow, but that's not I was talking about, I was talking about lots of 70°F weather in March.

You switched the subject for some reason. And getting one day of 70°F weather is very different from two weeks worth of it.

As for snow, I've had an April with 1+ foot of snow, didn't last all that long, but snow is definitely possible.
Oh were you. Well I still think that factor exists. The warm up in USA is very fast. Generally somewhere with those winter maxes would not get much above 60f in the summer so the USA is similar to Spain, Italy or Turkey in the Summer. I mean 90F is pretty much boiling hot.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Eh, two weeks in the 70s are not common at 41 N in March...at least in the US. More factors to consider other than latitude.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Oh were you. Well I still think that factor exists. The warm up in USA is very fast. Generally somewhere with those winter maxes would not get much above 60f in the summer so the USA is similar to Spain, Italy or Turkey in the Summer. I mean 90F is pretty much boiling hot.
It does heat up fast, but March is much closer to winter than summer, colder than November, warmer than December. Checking my stats, most Marches have 0 days 70 or above, average is 1 skewed by months with an unusually hot spell. Last March got 8 days. April averages 5 days, May 17.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,786,429 times
Quote:
No offence but people from snowy places say that all the time and then when they go somewhere that gets rain instead of snow they always always say that they'd prefer to get back to the snow. You will not agree with me, but I am right. Rain is BORING dark and DULL.
I wish that I found rain boring it might make me like snow more. I really love the atmosphere of rainy days but I also want a long hot dry summer to compliment the wet winter. I realize that my climate preferences are rather peculiar and like few others on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather