Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times

Advertisements

My phone is Nokia brick from 2008. Works a charm. I don't give a crap about some fancy smart-phone does-everything whizz-machine. I don't want all that pointless distraction.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
My phone is Nokia brick from 2008. Works a charm. I don't give a crap about some fancy smart-phone does-everything whizz-machine. I don't want all that pointless distraction.
Same here. I don't have a 3G or 4G plan on my phone so the touchscreen phone is a waste. It was a hand-me-down so I don't care lol. I detest it when I see people glued to their phones out in public. Saw it a lot in Britain and here a lot as well but barely in Germany

Old 04-20-2013, 03:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Mine was from 2007. Solid phone no doubt. Just hated the picture quality. Of course it served its main purpose...communication.

I have a Galaxy S III and love it. I listen to music all the time now (my iPod disappeared), surf the web or look up information when I'm away from the computer, read from the Kindle app, and use the GPS system. That's probably the best since I no longer get lost driving to new places. It was also great to have when I was traveling across the country earlier this year. Easier than carrying around a bulky laptop.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Mine was from 2007. Solid phone no doubt. Just hated the picture quality. Of course it served its main purpose...communication.

I have a Galaxy S III and love it. I listen to music all the time now (my iPod disappeared), surf the web or look up information when I'm away from the computer, read from the Kindle app, and use the GPS system. That's probably the best since I no longer get lost driving to new places. It was also great to have when I was traveling across the country earlier this year. Easier than carrying around a bulky laptop.
I'm more old school. I carry a map book around for backup along with my TomTom lol. Gadgets have definitely not caught up with me

Old 04-20-2013, 05:02 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
I love technology! Yes it can be seen as a distraction but I think it's great. I still use Tom Tom sat nav though, it's never let me down. I'm an apple fan too so you name it i have it!

The best phone I ever owned though was a Nokia 3210. It was indestructible!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
I don't own a GPS. I just love looking at maps, plus I think they're better for leisure trips, as one can spot tourist attractions and scenic routes more easily. Some people also seem to loose their sense of direction when using such devices. For example, once, wanting to head east on this freeway interchange, my friend took one of the right lanes since he saw that the route headed right on his phone GPS and despite me telling him to stay on the left. We ended up in a traffic jam approaching central Paris while we wanted to escape the city. The Metz-Nancy sign apparently didn't ring a bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The laptop I'm typing this message on is a Toshiba Satellite I bought in 2008. I know this laptop is going to last another several years. I haven't had to replace a single thing on this machine, except I replaced my battery for a higher capacity one, replaced the AC adapter, and swapped out the old 5400rpm hard drive for a 7200rpm one. I've dropped this laptop on the floor before as well.
Same laptop here, no parts replaced. Works well, though it overheats quickly.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I don't own a GPS. I just love looking at maps, plus I think they're better for leisure trips, as one can spot tourist attractions and scenic routes more easily. Some people also seem to loose their sense of direction when using such devices. For example, once, wanting to head east on this freeway interchange, my friend took one of the right lanes since he saw that the route headed right on his phone GPS and despite me telling him to stay on the left. We ended up in a traffic jam approaching central Paris while we wanted to escape the city. The Metz-Nancy sign apparently didn't ring a bell.

Yeah when you're a local or very familiar with somewhere it's better to use your gut instincts and sense of direction than GPS.

If it overheats quickly, buy a can of compressed air and blow air onto the CPU fan and blow the dust out. If you want to get adventurous, open up your laptop and blow the air directly on the CPU cooler. I have a Satellite L305D, old stuff. Though, certainly not old when I bought it 5 years ago . if it wasn't for the fact that ATI/AMD don't update their legacy Linux drivers, I'd be using Linux right now and not Windows.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Thanks, I'll try it! Though I'll never try to open a laptop.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

I love maps too, looking at the Geography etc. I can spend hours on google maps because it is so interesting.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Moron reporter on CNN was just like, "it's freezing. What is going on? It's April." Keep in mind he's in Boston, Massachusetts. Meanwhile the current temperature is exactly the average high for this date.
Ha, I was watching and saw the same thing. I then looked at the temps in Boston and it was 15c which is hardly cold. In fact it is a degree above normal. They have been spoiled by warm weather I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather