Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes you do. Some of you anglophones need to stop being so callous and get off your high horse already. No wonder Brits are not well received in Europe, it's that arrogant attitude you guys have that everyone should speak to and cater to you in English. **** off with that ****. British Empire is long over, only reason why English is important is not because of the UK, it's because of America.
Couldn't have said it better myself, the ignorance he displays right there is the same ignorance a lot of southern Americans display as well it's shameful really, that in 2013 people can still be so ignorant...

Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
That was actually quite rude to say that. If it weren't for the english americans wouldn't speak english. Duh...

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Yes you do. Some of you anglophones need to stop being so callous and get off your high horse already. No wonder Brits are not well received in Europe, it's that arrogant attitude you guys have that everyone should speak to and cater to you in English. **** off with that ****. British Empire is long over, only reason why English is important is not because of the UK, it's because of America.
You can't let Owen get to you - that's a very silly post. I didn't expect that from you. I also don't expect to see stupid terms like 'Anglos' being thrown around as if it has any meaning.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
That was actually quite rude to say that. If it weren't for the english americans wouldn't speak english. Duh...
He means present day, not in 1795.

It was a bit ridiculous for him to say that, but it was more ridiculous for you to make a stupid comment like "we don't need to know about those countries" um yes you do, you may not vacation there and those countries may not affect you directly, but at least keeping up with things that go on in other parts of the world keeps you from looking like an ignorant, arrogant asswipe.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Woah woah woah! We don't all think like owen!

And to say English is only important because of the US is ridiculous!
I know that, but there are a lot more Anglophones on average that think like that vs anyone else......except the French!

Well...hmmm I'd say English spread from the UK because of land conquering. US spread English because of economics. But, I'd say the spread of American English became prominent since the 1960s or thereabouts. Before that, it was all British that people were exposed to

Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Well it was more that we don't actually need to learn to get by. I'm not arrogant its the truth. Goto Spain, Italy etc English is everywhere.

I think thats something to be proud of and I think it's fantastic actually.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Not sure it's anything to proud of, but it is convenient.

Quote:
That was rather rude, but alex985 was referring to the US South, you're not from there. Just because they speak English there, too, doesn't mean it's the same.

Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Well, I apologize for my aggressive tone.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Quote:
Slow down a bit...

Don't let some ignorant kid from Northern Island make your you mind up about this. Who cares about how "important" English is because of America.... fact is, it CAME from this country, like it or not. That is fact, no opinion. Why didn't the mainstream language of America become Spanish or something else etc? Oh because the George Washington was English.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:01 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Well it was more that we don't actually need to learn to get by. I'm not arrogant its the truth. Goto Spain, Italy etc English is everywhere.

I think thats something to be proud of and I think it's fantastic actually.
It is rather arrogant. And a bit ignorant. While in many countries, a lot of people or even the majority will have some knowledge of English, or excellent knowledge, it shows good manners and an interest in the country you are visiting if you bother to learn the local lingo. People will certainly receive you better if they know you have put the effort into learning a few phrases, even if you speak it poorly. I certainly don't expect people to learn every language in the world, but learning a few simple phrases really isn't that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather