Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not sure it's anything to proud of, but it is convenient.

That was rather rude, but alex985 was referring to the US South, you're not from there. Just because they speak English there, too, doesn't mean it's the same.
I think he was referring to theunbrainwashed's comment not mine...

You thought my comment about the South was rude , it's true. I lived in a small town outside of Atlanta and I encountered LOTS of people like that...I'm not going to sit here and say everyone was like that and for the most part people were very friendly, but I encountered lots of people like that...more so than other regions.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
I know! All I was saying is that it isn't a necessity for us anglophone folks to learn other languages, I wasn't meaning to cause a whole stirr lol. Sorry.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No wonder Brits are not well received in Europe, it's that arrogant attitude you guys have that everyone should speak to and cater to you in English. **** off with that ****. British Empire is long over, only reason why English is important is not because of the UK, it's because of America.
That's bullsh*t. And every time I've been to Europe I've got on fine with everybody and also tried to speak the language. Resorting to generalizations about a group of people based on one person's comment on a forum is the epitome of obtuseness.

And don't get me started on the British Empire. Half them countries that were in it are now little overcrowded screwed up destitute shells of their former selves. Not that I care haha. Their idiot corrupt dictator leaders can let it crumble. We did it best! They didn't want it so F off to them then. The former Rhodesia... and look at it now. LOL.

And something like that from history is hardly a matter of care to any British personally now... apart from thinking how much better off some of those countries... were.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:05 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post

You thought my comment about the South was rude , it's true. I lived in a small town outside of Atlanta and I encountered LOTS of people like that...I'm not going to sit here and say everyone was like that and for the most part people were very friendly, but I encountered lots of people like that...more so than other regions.
But can you not understand where those people are coming from? Like about jobs and stuff.

I'm sure the cubans would have an absolute fit if the americans came in and took half of their jobs! I know for one that the Spanish do not like the brits.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I know.

Quote:
No, I understand what you're saying, I think decades ago in the Northeast it was assumed all hispanics were Puerto Rican. What I was complaining about was how you made a complaint about southerners and owenc turned into everyone into "all anglophones", he's not the same "we". Just Americans speak English doesn't mean it's the same.

//www.city-data.com/forum/31128768-post5754.html

Old 08-25-2013, 08:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Ok, I really do apologize. My comments were out of line and broadbrushing. it was uncalled for. Let's all kiss, make up, and have some Newcastle Brown

Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post

And don't get me started on the British Empire. Half them countries that were in it are now little overcrowded screwed up destitute shells of their former selves. Not that I care haha. Their idiot corrupt dictator leaders can let it crumble. We did it best! They didn't want it so F off to them then. The former Rhodesia... and look at it now. LOL.
I actually agree with you there. A lot of the former colonies didn't even want independence, but they were given it regardless. Not that I would ever yearn for the 'glory days', when it was seen as okay to plunder the land of far-flung places and slaughter their people..

Old 08-25-2013, 08:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
unhappy not appreciated

Old 08-25-2013, 08:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
If British rule was so great, how come India never had a serious famine since independence but had frequent ones under British rule?

Famine in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-25-2013, 08:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
If British rule was so great, how come India never had a serious famine since independence but had frequent ones under British rule?

Famine in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, I think it was because the Indians knew how to control their monsoonal rainfall patterns. The Brits, being from an island where it rained all year round, didn't know how to handle it. It's like when Americans from the Northeast move to Arizona. They want their green lawns, but that puts a lot of pressure on the water table. Problems like that don't seem to exist in northwest Mexico, where much of the people have been living there for a long time. PLus most of Mexico is either arid, semi-arid, or has a dry season. Northeast US has no such thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather