Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 AM

42 posts, read 39,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Looking really good. Did you buy meat only to create broth? How cheap is meat in Melbourne?
Those ribs and steaks are for eatin' bro! I got NFI how to create stew from meats. I grilled one rack tonight on the barbie with some dry rub, brown sugar, beef stock, liquid smoke and Jack Daniels, after 3 hours on low indirect heat still not as soft as I hoped, but tasty nonetheless. That dry rub gave it a beautiful flavour. I lathered on the BBQ sauce after they were done, but that made it too sweet. Next time, it's dry rub, a light coating of BBQ sauce and a quick sear on full tilt to cake in the sauce and to reduce sweetness while adding flavour. The ribs were damn spicy though.

T-bone costs about $16-18/kg on average (can be anywhere from $12 to over $25 depending on where you shop)
Those 2 t-bones cost me $12.80 total at the local meat emporium.

The bigass thing with the handle is $22/kg at my local butcher, although where I bought it from it was $29/kg so sort of screwed myself there

The ribs were $19/kg from the place I bought them from. Might be cheaper elsewhere but never bothered to check. Expensive when you consider that most of the weight is just bone

The wings were 4.99/kg, the supermarket used to have 2kg bags for $5.89 but they got rid of them. Stupid supermarket ripoff artists, and they keep blabbing the "helping you save more everyday" line and they have this poxy 1920's themed jingle as their "theme" tune as a douchebag attempt to make you believe you are saving. Herp de derp everytime I go there something has risen in price by 50c - $1 and/or thety stealthily get rid of the cheaper alternative. Latest casualty ... a bottle of Tabasco sauce has gone up 40c for no reason. Hope they ****ing get aids. They are so full of **** it is cascading out their eyes.

Dunno if this is considered cheap or expensive, but for comparison I earn $20 per hour at my basic department store job.

Last edited by Overcast Cold; 01-05-2014 at 05:01 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 06:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
You'd be right at home in the southeastern United States it would seem Overcast cold seems like your replicating the BBQ cuisine of that region with the ribs and marinades.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast Cold View Post
Those ribs and steaks are for eatin' bro! I got NFI how to create stew from meats. I grilled one rack tonight on the barbie with some dry rub, brown sugar, beef stock, liquid smoke and Jack Daniels, after 3 hours on low indirect heat still not as soft as I hoped, but tasty nonetheless. That dry rub gave it a beautiful flavour. I lathered on the BBQ sauce after they were done, but that made it too sweet. Next time, it's dry rub, a light coating of BBQ sauce and a quick sear on full tilt to cake in the sauce and to reduce sweetness while adding flavour. The ribs were damn spicy though.

T-bone costs about $16-18/kg on average (can be anywhere from $12 to over $25 depending on where you shop)
Those 2 t-bones cost me $12.80 total at the local meat emporium.

The bigass thing with the handle is $22/kg at my local butcher, although where I bought it from it was $29/kg so sort of screwed myself there

The ribs were $19/kg from the place I bought them from. Might be cheaper elsewhere but never bothered to check. Expensive when you consider that most of the weight is just bone

The wings were 4.99/kg, the supermarket used to have 2kg bags for $5.89 but they got rid of them. Stupid supermarket ripoff artists, and they keep blabbing the "helping you save more everyday" line and they have this poxy 1920's themed jingle as their "theme" tune as a douchebag attempt to make you believe you are saving. Herp de derp everytime I go there something has risen in price by 50c - $1 and/or thety stealthily get rid of the cheaper alternative. Latest casualty ... a bottle of Tabasco sauce has gone up 40c for no reason. Hope they ****ing get aids. They are so full of **** it is cascading out their eyes.

Dunno if this is considered cheap or expensive, but for comparison I earn $20 per hour at my basic department store job.
When did you make the marinade? By which I mean how long before you put them on the grill? With 3h on indirect heating all meat should be tender and smooth. I'm no barbeque master, but I've learned that everything thicker than steaks should drench in marinade at least 12 hours before cooking, preferrably 20 hours.

I don't know how much ribs cost here, but good steaks can easily be 20€/kg (30 AUD). Some cheap pig chuck bits cost usually some 13 AUD on discount. Some Norwegian cod or some other crap fish can be less than 8 AUD. Chicken wings with bone should go for 4.50 AUD.

I think meat is a bit less there than here overall. And salaries higher. As a department store slave you'll probably make like 16-17$ an hour here. Feels like I'm in a 3rd world country.

Tabasco sauce costs around 4.30$ a bottle here. An expensive nectar of gods.

But anyway, the department store business is so screwed up here, so no wonder our food prices are ridiculously high.

Last edited by Ariete; 01-05-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 04:51 PM

42 posts, read 39,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
When did you make the marinade? By which I mean how long before you put them on the grill? With 3h on indirect heating all meat should be tender and smooth. I'm no barbeque master, but I've learned that everything thicker than steaks should drench in marinade at least 12 hours before cooking, preferrably 20 hours.

I don't know how much ribs cost here, but good steaks can easily be 20€/kg (30 AUD). Some cheap pig chuck bits cost usually some 13 AUD on discount. Some Norwegian cod or some other crap fish can be less than 8 AUD. Chicken wings with bone should go for 4.50 AUD.

I think meat is a bit less there than here overall. And salaries higher. As a department store slave you'll probably make like 16-17$ an hour here. Feels like I'm in a 3rd world country.

Tabasco sauce costs around 4.30$ a bottle here. An expensive nectar of gods.

But anyway, the department store business is so screwed up here, so no wonder our food prices are ridiculously high.
I think the heat was too much , even though it was on low. I'l try using a burner that's further away from the ribs on the lowest setting and just leave it for a good 3-4 hours. I didn't marinate the ribs, the recipes I found doesn't suggest you need to. I think it was just too much heat. The stock/water in the baking pan the ribs were sitting over burnt so that's a clue.

I got a T-bone that's been sitting in a whisky marinate since yesterday and a rib eye that's lathered up in steak sauce and marinating in oil, can't wait to chuck these on the grill with some caramalised onions

Here the small bottle of Tabasco is $4.30 (used to be $3.76 last week)

Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Have school tomorrow. Can't sleep one ounce. Sleeping pattern is up the left.

Really hate school. Don't think its kicked in that this is my last year and I don't know how I will cope. It will be amazing not having to do pointless homeworks or listen to ***** teachers. Aw the life.

Can't wait. Only 164 days

Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Have school tomorrow. Can't sleep one ounce. Sleeping pattern is up the left.

Really hate school. Don't think its kicked in that this is my last year and I don't know how I will cope. It will be amazing not having to do pointless homeworks or listen to ***** teachers. Aw the life.

Can't wait. Only 164 days
I just graduated college. It's great. I work all day and do whatever the hell I want outside of work. No homework hanging over my head.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Don't think i'll know whats hit me.

Its so irritating and annoying being in that dump. Sick of revising pointless crap that I will forget once the exam is over. So draining

Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I just graduated college. It's great. I work all day and do whatever the hell I want outside of work. No homework hanging over my head.
I'm kind of dreading the end of college because I'll have to worry about moving and finding a new job. Needs to happen though, I can't stand Kentucky much longer.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
I miss my uni days sometimes. Working for a living is actually hard.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
I'm kind of dreading the end of college because I'll have to worry about moving and finding a new job. Needs to happen though, I can't stand Kentucky much longer.
Yeah me too. I have a job now, but it's certainly not meant to be a career. Hoping to stay in New Jersey mostly for personal reasons.

I was tired of having to do homework, study for exams, and pay for textbooks. My student loan payments begin in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather