Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times

Advertisements

Uh, quite evidently not - a large swathe of southern England had well in excess of 200mm last month, which is more then most of Northern Ireland, as you can see. NW Scotland is used to copious rainfall - southern England is usually dry. It's like NW Scotland getting 50mm in one month and experiencing wildfires because it's 'so dry', even though that's normal rainfall for here.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,869,262 times
So theres my answer. They can't cope.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 AM

Well, no, they can't cope. The rainfall is unprecedented. There has never been a January wetter than 2014 in southern England, and it isn't going to end anytime soon. The land simply isn't used to this amount of water.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,595,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I'm actually sick of hearing about the flooding in England. Every single morning, we never hear any news except this flooding in England.

No offence but that won't affect us and we have more important things to be concerned with.
I don't quite understand why England floods so much anyway when we recieve more rain and basically never flood. Perhaps it is to do with the coverage.

It just seems like a major exageration. Constant flooding in this Summerset place when the same low pressure systems (stronger actually) and the same rain bands have been going over and over here and we have not been inundated once! Even the floodplains!

Either the land in England is ****e or the media are major exagerators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Check out the Met Office rainfall anomaly maps you imbecilic little boy and you will see why there is so much flooding in 'Summerset'.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data..._1981-2010.gif
And while he's about it, he could learn to spell "Somerset" properly!. Empty vessels ...?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,814,385 times
Quote:
So theres my answer. They can't cope.
The people can cope, the land can't. It's very flat here so the water has nowhere to go. Well over 300mm of rain here since the begininning of January is ridiculous.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:26 AM

13,481 posts, read 9,021,847 times
Quote:
I'm actually sick of hearing about the flooding in England. Every single morning, we never hear any news except this flooding in England.

No offence but that won't affect us and we have more important things to be concerned with.
I don't quite understand why England floods so much anyway when we recieve more rain and basically never flood. Perhaps it is to do with the coverage.

It just seems like a major exageration. Constant flooding in this Summerset place when the same low pressure systems (stronger actually) and the same rain bands have been going over and over here and we have not been inundated once! Even the floodplains!

Either the land in England is ****e or the media are major exagerators.
What, like bombs & stuff going off & rioting because 'my religion is better than yours'...

The sooner they lump N.I back in with the ROI the better, no one in England cares about your grotty bit of the UK either...

Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 AM

The ROI doesn't want them either.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:02 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
Don't know how my work schedule, which is already cutting it close to begin with, is going to allow me enough time to get to class (which I have an exam in today) with these icy/snowy roads. Probably going to stay this way as we're forecast to max out at 29F (-2c). I'll have to ask to leave earlier, which probably won't be an issue.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Don't know how my work schedule, which is already cutting it close to begin with, is going to allow me enough time to get to class (which I have an exam in today) with these icy/snowy roads. Probably going to stay this way as we're forecast to max out at 29F (-2c). I'll have to ask to leave earlier, which probably won't be an issue.
Has your town run out of salt. NJ is experiencing salt shortages :

Road salt shortage hits New Jersey at height of winter storms | NJ.com

Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,428,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Has your town run out of salt. NJ is experiencing salt shortages :

Road salt shortage hits New Jersey at height of winter storms | NJ.com
I don't think we've run out. Highways will be fine, I'm sure, but the local roads have been consistently snowed over this winter after snowfall, which isn't much an issue for me (I even enjoy driving on roads in such conditions ) except for the circumstances, as I'd rather not feel I have to hurry. There is no way to get there except by using local roads, not main ones. Even if we haven't run out of salt, I'm sure we're low on it, so it'll be diverted to the main roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather