Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I would have thought you would prefer much warmer winters than 56F....

to me, my ideal "winter" shouldn't have any daytime highs below 75F.

Btw, if you lived in Vancouver, you could leave your GPS in the car as our lowest recorded temperature is 0F back in 1950
All depends on what I expect to be doing outdoors.

I like doing heavy excersize; things like yard work or high-intensity sports and cool weather can be nice for that.
Temps as low as 56 F/ 13 C to me are just mild enough to miss a "distinct-cold feeling."
I would still hate cloudy days below 50 F/10 C in winter,
so how variable the temps were through winter would affect how high I'd want the averages to be.
I like the sound of 65+ F/18+ C as a winter average, assuming cool-but-pleasant conditions.
As you might have seen in older threads, I find highs below 82 F/28 C annoying for a Caribbean vacation.
Ideally, I don't want any days in the Caribbean below 85 F/30 C, or nights below 72 F/22 C.
Long sleeves needed for thermal-comfort bothers me on a tropical vacation.
Sometimes I might wear long sleeves in the tropics for formal events, and I enjoy feeling mildly-overheated then.

So your idea of a 75 F/24 C winter sounds chilly to me, if it was intended to be a "year-round summer" climate.
Reminds me of the Bahamas in winter; I'm usually never warm without sunshine or long sleeves.
Being Canadian, () I would be satisfied with 56/13 C as the coldest average monthly high; at least there's a high probability of many pleasant winter afternoons.

Yes, I figured I could leave a GPS in a car year-round in Vancouver.
But for where I live, temps below -20 C/-5 F are possible 4 months a year, and an average of 5.2 days with lows below -20 C annually.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 05-09-2010 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:53 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
after driving around today in 90 degree, blazingly sunny weather, i was totally drained after just 1 hour....i would have been able to handle many more hours if the weather wasnt so hot and sunny.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:17 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
after driving around today in 90 degree, blazingly sunny weather, i was totally drained after just 1 hour....i would have been able to handle many more hours if the weather wasnt so hot and sunny.
Driving leaves me drained in general, but on a hot day like that, it's only worse. Stay cool! Looks like summer has set in down in the deep south.

Not to brag, but I'm pretty happy with the forecast of 70 and cloudy most of the day.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 AM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not to brag, but I'm pretty happy with the forecast of 70 and cloudy most of the day.
I'm jealous!

Old 05-27-2010, 12:30 PM

9 posts, read 29,684 times
I love some sun, but I detest the constant blaring.
I moved to Denver about 9 months ago, and the only thing that bothers me more than how much sun we get here is how much bragging people do about the sun.
I am from Michigan/Chicago and I miss that weather so much! I get the oddest look from folks here when they tell me how lucky I am to be in Denver instead of Lansing or Ann Arbor, but I just shrug and let them know that I can't handle how dry and sunny it always is here.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:21 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
My main reason I have a problem with cloudy weather is largely down to the fact that in this country, it is associated with drizzle a lot, and is so continuous. However, we have had long clear spells before, and I enjoyed it.

The other problem with clouds here, are that in summer they tend to prevent temperatures getting into the "warm category" when they otherwise would do. This was the case in August 2008 (dullest since 1912) when permanent overcast with 850hPa temps of 12C led to maxima of 18-20C with 90% humdity and lows of 16C.

It was overcast all day on this day, and the maximum temperature was around 20C. With those 850hPa temps, it could theoretically have reached 30C.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
I like sunny days only when the weather is cold and there is a chilly breeze.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I much prefer cloudy days to sunny. Granted, a bright sunny day when everything is green can look beautiful. But as soon as I step outside whatever beauty there may be vanishes when the heat hits me. Even in the dead of winter I can sweat if I'm in the sun for very long, unless it's pretty darn cold (like 20s or less). But in the summer I DESPISE the sun, and our summers are mostly very sunny. Add to that the fact that there is very, very rarely any sort of breeze here in the summer, and high humidity, and it's just a horrible, miserable 6+ months. It would help some if we had a lot of clouds in the summer, or a frequent breeze. But no!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Last (nearly) 2 weeks has proved to been very cloudy (thankfully ). Up to the 16th, had 136 hrs of sun including 106.9 hrs from the 6th to the 16th. Since then to now, about 28 hours but for my area, I'd deduct about 10 hours as sunshine is recorded at the airport, 10 km south of the CBD and haven't seen that much sun here at home and at my workplace in the city. Loving it heaps

Old 05-28-2010, 09:43 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,898,596 times
I hate clouds and hate any form of cloudy weather for any length of time. I want 4000 hours of sun per year. I don't care for rain either, nothing like having to put your life on hold because of ****e weather outside, not being able to dry your washing, ending up with damp stinking clothes, water leaking into your shoes etc.

Screw clouds and rain, give me sunshine anyday. A crisp, clear winter morning is one of life's joys, as is a hot summer morning when it's 35C at 9am. Cloudy weather is mundane, boring and stupid. it stops the temp extremes of both summer and winter, which is gay, and bleaches the landscape a disgusting nuclear holocaust grey. That is foul. Sunny days always seem to bring a living vibrance, with people out and about, children playing, everyone in a good mood, a busting atmosphere, a colourful world, while overcast nuclear holocaust brings silence and death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather