Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Upwelling?

I've heard from SST's can drop to around 60 F/16 C midsummer around Sebastian Inlet, FL in south-central FL on the Atlantic coast.
Very counter-intuitive to a place with average summer monthly lows of 75+ F/24+ C.
Factoring the humidity, it's apparently common for the air to be blazing hot while the sea is ice-cold.
Wow, I had no idea upwelling could reduce temps by that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Southern hemisphere climates are not necessarily cooler for their relative latitude than northern hemisphere locations. There is less variation between winter and summer temperatures due to the fact that the southern hemisphere has far less continental land-mass than the northern hemisphere. This is a well known fact. Sure many coastal locations in Australia and also much of NZ has far cooler summer maxima than many equivalent places in the NH, this is due to the same reasons. But they also generally have much milder winters. Auckland, NZ has cool summers by anybody's reconing but its winters being mild makes it up for it and it has a mean temperature of 15.1°C. To compare with somewhere in the northern hemisphere the same distance from the equator, Virginia Beach in the USA has far hotter summers but colder winters and its mean temperature is 15.4°C, nearly identical.
Well, the SH has a slightly lower mean temp than the NH. I guess this is due to the large polar landmass (Antarctica) in the SH.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Wow, I had no idea upwelling could reduce temps by that much.
A fisherman and owner of a bait/tackle/convenience store told me that.
Actually said it can drop into the 50's F... 57 F/14 C?

I may have also heard that at a wildlife sanctuary info centre too...

Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
A fisherman and owner of a bait/tackle/convenience store told me that.
Actually said it can drop into the 50's F... 57 F/14 C?

I may have also heard that at a wildlife sanctuary info centre too...
Fascinating. I would assume these low SST are only in isolated areas?

Old 01-06-2011, 05:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
I have to say…you do seem obsessed with jumping on anything that Wavehunter says trying to prove him/her wrong. Also, you also always seem to try to put down our country. You seem to always try to paint the USA has having such a bad climate compared to the Southern Hemisphere.

Here is YOUR comment on page 4:

Yet, we clearly saw a map (early summer map) of a SST of 32 F in the Gulf of Mexico. I know for a fact that SST in the Caribbean are often 32 C around the resorts and through the Bahamas. Looks like you might have been wrong too.
Again, show me the evidence. I don't remember even ONE time I put down the USA's climate. What's with all these accusations all of a sudden? I don't even talk to wavehunter that much.

FYI I never denied it ever gets to 32C in some parts of the Gulf or the Caribbean. All I'm doing is holding wavehunter accountable for his comments (now and in other threads) when he makes statements without any inifo to back them up. You might be his buddy, but he comes in thinking he's such an expert and that he can get away with anything. Wavehunter said something that was wrong and I proved he was wrong. Whether he admits it or not is up to him. Case closed.

Why would I always be trying to put down the USA, I'm going there later this year and have always been rather obessessed with your country (not so much the nation, more the geography/culture). That's the reason I'm even on CD.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Well, the SH has a slightly lower mean temp than the NH. I guess this is due to the large polar landmass (Antarctica) in the SH.
Interesting, I would say so. Take out Antarctica and the SH has no extensive areas of winter cold outside mountainous areas.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM

102 posts, read 146,531 times
The huge tracts of ocean between Antarctica and anywhere else ameliorate any cold associated with it. If the SH had similar landmasses in polar/arctic regions as the NH, the SH's corresponding winters would probably be slightly colder than the NH is now.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
The huge tracts of ocean between Antarctica and anywhere else ameliorate any cold associated with it. If the SH had similar landmasses in polar/arctic regions as the NH, the SH's corresponding winters would probably be slightly colder than the NH is now.
Did you know Siberia is colder than the North Pole?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM

102 posts, read 146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Did you know Siberia is colder than the North Pole?
Yes...... and what I'm saying is if we had NH's landmasses mirrored in the SH, it would be colder than the NH is now, simply because Antarctica is much colder than the Arctic. When you get that antarctic cold penetrating nearby regions, watch out....

Old 01-06-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_dog View Post
Yes...... and what I'm saying is if we had NH's landmasses mirrored in the SH, it would be colder than the NH is now, simply because Antarctica is much colder than the Arctic. When you get that antarctic cold penetrating nearby regions, watch out....
Yes, that would be something. Antarctica also has an average height of over 2,000 metres above sea-level, making it the highest continent on average (little known fact).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather