Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times

Advertisements

Im in Las Vegas now and its 95 degrees here. A dry 95 feels a lot better then the humid 95 back in Orlando

Dry heat rocks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 12:23 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Yeah, that "swimming in hot water" feeling is what I hate so much about summer! If it's humid enough, I actually start feeling sick.
Me, too. It has been extremely humid here in NW Indiana for several days, and it's oppressive. Terribly uncomfortable for me.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
"Sweatshirt weather" doesn't give me the same warmth in my insides that warmer weather. I'd rather not feel cool air against me. But for physical activity, sweatshirt weather is definitely nicer. I've felt good hiking up a mountain when it's in the 40s out and glad I didn't have to deal with any sweat.

But I can never understand why stores in the summer set their A/C to "sweatshirt weather" temperatures. I'm in shorts, a T-shirt and sandals not a sweatshirt! And then I start shivering. I'd like to go to each store and ask if they can turn the heat on. I did that Friday.
Trains here almost always have the A/C off during the summers and the reverse during winters which is ridiculous but there you are.

I remember when I was holidaying in Brisbane (Queensland) with a mate a few years ago, we got on the bus and it was terribly humid at the time of around 8am, the A/C was not on so I ended up asking the driver to turn the A/C on as we were dripping sweat everywhere - even my mate had very visible drips falling off the back of his head - and the bus driver did much to our relief.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Trains here almost always have the A/C off during the summers and the reverse during winters which is ridiculous but there you are.

I remember when I was holidaying in Brisbane (Queensland) with a mate a few years ago, we got on the bus and it was terribly humid at the time of around 8am, the A/C was not on so I ended up asking the driver to turn the A/C on as we were dripping sweat everywhere - even my mate had very visible drips falling off the back of his head - and the bus driver did much to our relief.
It doesn't seem to take coach busses much to get uncomfortably hot. Last May while I was traveling from New Jersey to Boston it was in the 70s most of the time, yet we still needed to have the air turned on in the bus. Although the bus was almost full, it was still surprising how quickly it became uncomfortable.

Also remember having to take a short bus ride while at a golf tournament and even early in the morning it felt excessively hot and humid.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:58 PM

197 posts, read 752,120 times
I get nosebleeds in dry heat, but not in humid heat.

iuki

Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 PM

211 posts, read 544,568 times
well, I have lived in both and dry heat is easier to get yourself cool with ac, but Im in Ohio right now
and the humidity is just awful, everything in the house gets damp from it and ac dosent work well when
the humidity is high, but I have to say that my skin and hair reallly benefit from the humidity.
I guess there are trade offs on just about everything.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 AM

254 posts, read 414,936 times
I prefer the humidity. Yes, you get very sticky and sweaty very fast, and yes, sometimes it can make it feel hotter than it is.
But since making the move from Florida to New Mexico, I have acquired a whole slew of problems from dry heat that I never encountered living in in a humid climate.
Dry heat has caused me to have extremely dry skin, slight eczema on my arms, dandruff, dry, scratchy sinuses and frequent blood in my nose.
Plus, higher altitude means you're closer to the sun and it is WAY easier to get a sunburn here than in Florida. We're talking 15-20 minutes, verses 3-5 hours lying on the beach in FL.
And, regardless, I still sweat here.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
I prefer the humidity. Yes, you get very sticky and sweaty very fast, and yes, sometimes it can make it feel hotter than it is.
But since making the move from Florida to New Mexico, I have acquired a whole slew of problems from dry heat that I never encountered living in in a humid climate.
Dry heat has caused me to have extremely dry skin, slight eczema on my arms, dandruff, dry, scratchy sinuses and frequent blood in my nose.
Plus, higher altitude means you're closer to the sun and it is WAY easier to get a sunburn here than in Florida. We're talking 15-20 minutes, verses 3-5 hours lying on the beach in FL.
I would probably get burnt to a crisp on a beach in Florida after half an hour!

I've only been in a dry climate (Colorado) during the winter and the only "problem" I had was being constantly thirsty. I'm sure I would acquire other problems had I been in a dry climate long term.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennel View Post
well, I have lived in both and dry heat is easier to get yourself cool with ac, but Im in Ohio right now
and the humidity is just awful, everything in the house gets damp from it and ac dosent work well when
the humidity is high, but I have to say that my skin and hair reallly benefit from the humidity.
I guess there are trade offs on just about everything.
I guess the AC has to "work harder" in a humid climate, partly because in addition to cooling off the house, it dries out the air.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
Some of things you mention would be my concerns with dry heat over humid heat. Overall I'd just prefer to live somewhere that is moderately humid, but simply doesn't get very warm. (Like rarely over 80!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather