Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

This is the fifth consecutive day of dewpoints 79 and above. To find a comparable stretch, I found one in June '05, only 4 days in a row. In June-July '02, there was a stretch of 17 straight days at 78 and above.

Last year was by far the worst summer on record here. The temperature topped 100 35 times. In Laredo, the temp was over 100 on 79 consecutive days June 10 to August 28. I think it is possible that that could be a US all-time record for any reporting station. Dewpoints topped out at about 77 on those days.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-09-2010 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is the fifth consecutive day of dewpoints 79 and above. To find a comparable stretch, I found one in June '05, only 4 days in a row. In June-July '02, there was a stretch of 17 straight days at 78 and above.

Last year was by far the worst summer on record here. The temperature topped 100 35 times. In Laredo, the temp was over 100 on 79 consecutive days June 10 to August 28. I think it is possible that that could be a US all-time record for any reporting station. Dewpoints topped out at about 77 on those days.
I don't think I've ever experienced a dewpoint that high (79). At least since I started paying attention to dewpoints. Sounds miserable. At least the beaches must be nice.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? While the highest dewpoint measured in both places might be the same, I think the average dewpoint would be mucher higher in the south. From what I remember about summers in the northeast, the dewpoints would seem to stay around the low 60s, and occasionally going into the 70s, but sometimes going into the 50s. Near NYC, the dewpoints would be a bit higher. Usually the night temperatures are the same or at most a few degrees higher than the dewpoint. In parts of the south, the night temperature average in the mid 70s in the summer, so the dewpoint is at least in the low 70s.

Toronto's nights are around the low 60s? in the summer, I think, so its dewpoint is probably a little below 60. This site seemed to show most summer dewpoints in the high 50s, with a couple in the low 60s, not particularly humid, though not really dry either.

History : Weather Underground

I was suprised how hard it was to find summer months with an average high > 80°F.
I was about to say our normal summer range in dewpoints is 40's F to 70's F,
with the bulk of the dewpoints between 55-64 F on typical, partly cloudy days.
What this means is we expect "night-and-day" differences throughout the summer, in terms of "air-thickness/mugginess."

Our trends may be different than American trends for dewpoint vs. overnight low,
since Toronto is much denser in population than most US cities.

From what I remember as a kid,
"normal" summer days seem to range from 72-84 F; 70's F obviously the most common range.
As you can guess from the stats, we usually cool slowly at sunset.
A partly-coudy 78 F day will still probably be 70-73 F by sunset and 63-66 F at midnight.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-09-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I've noticed something similar. I feel fine biking if the dewpoint is in the mid 50s or less and past 60 it gets slightly sticky. When it's hot out (mid 80s) but the dewpoint is low, I feel fine. Though I went for a short ride a couple days ago when the dewpoint was about 70, and I felt ok, though. It's more long rides / walks that bother me. I just learn to get used to a bit of sweat. But the dewpoints here are usually in the low to mid 60s in the summer and often go down to the 50s. Yesterday it was in the low 40s.

Sometimes I like high dewpoints when I'm not moving
I enjoy it when summer feels like summer,
so sweating usually doesn't affect my mood.

I think I'd prefer Victoria, TX's conditions to this:

June 9th, 1:00 pm Dark overcast, drizzly with 100% humidity and 56 F.
High of 63 F turning mostly cloudy... but we're not forecast to warm until 6-7pm.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

High of 63 F turning mostly cloudy... but we're not forecast to warm until 6-7pm.
That weather sounds ideal to me. It's been raining off and on today, with the sun and plenty of heat coming out in between. So we had temperatures in the high 80s to low 90s, and dew points well into the 70s. At one point when I checked this afternoon, the dew point was 78 and the temperature was 91. Since I work in a warehouse with no AC, it was the most miserable I've been so far this year, and this weekend is expected to be even worse. The shirt I was wearing today is probably ruined from all the dirt and salt from my sweat.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:

I think I'd take the gray drizzle, which is exactly what it is in Western Mass, too. Victoria, TX is too hot to do stuff outside.

But compared to the hot and humidity we had last week, this is probably worse. In any case, it's a choice between raining on the outside or on the inside.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I think I'd take the gray drizzle, which is exactly what it is in Western Mass, too.

Victoria, TX is too hot to do stuff outside.

But compared to the hot and humidity we had last week, this is probably worse. In any case, it's a choice between raining on the outside or on the inside.
I find today's weather tolerable, but kinda "blah."

I shall have to check out Victoria TX current forecast.
I've always thought it odd when people make blanket statements "...too hot to do X outdoors..."
because it sounds like someone speaking for everyone.

Since we're talking about dewpoints heat index would be the most relevant variable.
Assuming an abundant supply of cold drinks...
I find American heat indexes up to 105 F satisfactory for any activity, 110 F for any activity but with some caution...
maybe at 115 F is when I might consider avoiding certain heavy excersizes.

The dewpoint of 56 F feels good, but the sky is quite dark.
I'm not cold, but I wasn't expecting summer weather today.
Thermally, it feels like summer but at 5:00 am, all day long.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Victoria, TX
10 Day Weather Forecast for Victoria, TX - weather.com

^^ Only thing I can see that too hot for is "layers."
I wouldn't enjoy an outdoor wedding with formal-wear during the day.

I checked their averages:
hottest daily averages are "only" 94/75 F (34/24 C)
so I suspect there'd be many days with heat indexes under 110 F (43 C) outside of heat waves.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:29 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times
Quote:

Sounds like a typical summer day here in Vancouver...
Actually, the sun has been peaking through the clouds here and it's about 64F out right now.... I find unless we're having a heatwave in the summer (which means clear skies and dry heat), the dewpoint and temperature aren't far from each other most of the year. For example, 50F with a dewpoint of 45F is not uncommon for I'd say about 75% of the year.

I'd also prefer Victoria, TX's conditions to what we normally get here

Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,019,930 times
A dew point between 15-20C with temp range 18-30C would be ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather