Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 AM

24 posts, read 78,980 times

Advertisements

[quote=73-79 ford fan;14506142]Ouch, a 75 degree dew point would be extreme discomfort for me. I do like the severe storms that high dew points help fuel but thats about it. The areas near the gulf coast would be a brutal place to live at least to me.[/quote

I live in Pensacola and last week we had a dewpoint of 83 degrees in the middle of the afternoon with temps close to 95. Most of the time the dewpoint is between 72-78 degrees which after living in Seattle for most of my life feels absolutely horrible. Any amount of time spent outside in these temps leaves me feeling sick. I'm in excellent physical shape and drink tons of water and it never makes a damn bit of difference. I have have never got used to it after 5 years of living here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM

24 posts, read 78,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Today sounds pretty sticky there.

I find it bizarre how there isn't much difference between Toronto's muggiest annual dewpoints and major cities in the extreme southern US.

Memphis only reached a dewpoint 77 F last year?
So did Toronto, and we had a cooler-than-average summer; never passed 89 F ambient.
Our annual maximum dewpoint for 2009 probably occured at 84-85 F under hazy skies, RH% also somewhere in the 80's.

If 80 F dewpoints are the upper limit of the USA, I'm quite confused.
I believe Toronto always gets dewpoints above 70 F every summer.
I thought South Texas, South Louisiana and South Florida could get dewpoints 10 F higher than us.
I'm sorry but Toronto is not even close to the southeast gulf coast when it comes to temp and dewpoint values. Our average lows here in Pensacola are close to Toronto's average highs. Our dew points are regularly in the 70-80+ degree range with daytime temps above 90 a constant with daily t-storms every afternoon. I've spent a great deal of time in Toronto and the hottest summer days there would be considered cool ones for here.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Pensacola, Florida, sounds like my wet dream. In more ways than one

Old 06-18-2010, 10:14 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic View Post
I'm sorry but Toronto is not even close to the southeast gulf coast when it comes to temp and dewpoint values. Our average lows here in Pensacola are close to Toronto's average highs. Our dew points are regularly in the 70-80+ degree range with daytime temps above 90 a constant with daily t-storms every afternoon.

I've spent a great deal of time in Toronto and the hottest summer days there would be considered cool ones for here.
I was not comparing our "average" summer dewpoints.
I'm talking about our maximum (like one or two days) annual dewpoints.

Why it matters is because I always pay attention to our hottest, muggiest days... because I like it.
Even our absolute maximum; I look forward to Toronto's absolute maximum temps and dewpoints.
(others may stay indoors in A/C, so they don't really know what our hottest weather feels like )

Besides, we always get a few dewpoints at 72+ F several times a summer, which is actually as muggy or muggier than many parts of the Upper/Middle Southeastern US.

Sometimes we get cooler summers, and sometimes people exaggerate.
Compared with our regular summer weather,
to us there isn't much difference between 86 F and a 72 F dewpoint and 92 F with a 80 F dewpoint; still very sweaty.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Pensacola, Florida, sounds like my wet dream. In more ways than one
Eeeww... Pensacola is ground zero for that BP oil slick.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Eeeww... Pensacola is ground zero for that BP oil slick.
Well I don't go to the beach anyway, and the climate is mint. Therefore, I get randy over its daily thunderstorms with heat and humidity.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well I don't go to the beach anyway, and the climate is mint. Therefore, I get randy over its daily thunderstorms with heat and humidity.
You might chunder when you see Pensacola's record lows for winter though.

All of the Florida Panhandle is in USDA Zone 8a or 8b
which means average coldest winter low is 10-15 F (8a) or 15-19 F (8b)... somewhere between -13 C and -8 C.

For averages, Pensacola basically Brisbane;
roughly same annual avg high and low and % chance of sunshine.
But just as much as the summers are hotter, the winters are equally colder (and far more variable) than Brisbane.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-18-2010 at 12:49 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 03:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:

which means average coldest winter low is 10-15 F (8a) or 15-19 F (8b)... somewhere between -13 C and -8 C.

But just as much as the summers are hotter, the winters are equally colder (and far more variable) than Brisbane.
The winter average of Pensacola is only a few degrees warmer at most than Melbourne, with more very cold days. Though it's probably sunnier.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Meh, they have much hotter and stormier summers than Melbourne and their average winter temps ae certainly no colder. What's a few -5's here and there gonna do? I'm sure they also record much warmer extreme highs in winter than Melbourne aswell. There are places just out of Melbourne that get record a few subzero temps per winter anyway.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Meh, they have much hotter and stormier summers than Melbourne and their average winter temps ae certainly no colder. What's a few -5's here and there gonna do? I'm sure they also record much warmer extreme highs in winter than Melbourne aswell.

There are places just out of Melbourne that get record a few subzero temps per winter anyway.
Remember that day in Miami last winter with a high of 5 C/42 F?
Somewhere like Pensacola probably had a high of -5 C the same day.
According to The Weather Channel, Pensacola's record low is 5 F (-15 C)
while places like New Orleans and Houston have only been down to 12 F (-12 C)
Myself, I'd prefer at least USDA zone 9a. (-7 to -4 C coldest avg annual lows)

A few sub-zero Fahrenheit temps (< -17 C) just outside of Melbourne? That sounds like Toronto.
No thanks, I'd rather be somewhere 50+ C in the shade. Marlbe Bar? Oodnadatta? Cloncurry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather