Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,047,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
A friend got married last year. In with the wedding invitation was a little card stating that the bride and groom were registered with a honeymoon registry. In other words, we don't want gifts, we want you to help pay for our honeymoon. The registry contained things like massages, strawberries & champagne, excursions from the resort, specialty dinners, and various dollar amounts to contribute towards their lodging.

I thought including this with the wedding invitation was beyond tacky, but since the bride is a friend, I went along with it and got them one of the lowest price choices. I'm not made of money and would have preferred to get them just a little something like towels or a blender (first marriage for both and they are young), but whatever I got them the champagne.

Last week I got yet another notice of a honeymoon registry. This one came with a "save the date" card (at least it wasn't with the invite). I went to the registry site and the only things on there are really expensive excursions, or the option to just chip in for the cost of the honeymoon lodging/transportation in $25 increments.

How is this any different than flat out asking for cash? Am I the only one who finds this really tacky?

When I was going to get married, we registered for a few things at Target & Kohls, and only told people that if we were asked. We never included that information on any invite or announcement. Would we have preferred cash , sure we would, but I would have never in a million years dreamed of actually asking people for that.
I think it's a bit tacky as well. If i ever get married, I would rather just focus on spending time and pampering my new queen.

Man-gagement rings, cheesiness, Registering all these silly things. They will have groom-zillas next...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,591,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I think it's a bit tacky as well. If i ever get married, I would rather just focus on spending time and pampering my new queen.

Man-gagement rings, cheesiness, Registering all these silly things. They will have groom-zillas next...
LOL!

I contemplated having the honeymoon registry when I was married years ago. The only reason being that we honestly didn't really need anything that would be on a typical wedding registry. We had all the pots, pans, towels, bedsheets, etc. we would ever need. In the end we ended up picking out stuff we liked but didn't need from Target.

It is a bit tacky, but you don't have to get them anything off the registry if you don't want to.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,171,522 times
I've never heard of a honeymoon registry. IMO, I do think it's a bit tacky because I don't think it's right to ask people to help pay for the honeymoon. If a couple wants to go somewhere pricey for their honeymoon, that's their business. A bridal registry is different because they're asking for items to start their home and lives together. Then again, I don't even know about that anymore since a lot of couples are already living together and have what they need. I've seen bridal registries with personal items, which I thought were tacky. I guess times have changed, huh?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,093,605 times
In general I think it's tacky to ask for a gift. People are treating weddings as an opportunity to shake down their friends and family for swag. Sure, people are going to want to give the couple something to start their lives together, but the couple shouldn't be making any demands.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
I find it very tacky to ask for anything. Whether or not it is standard practice to give gifts at a wedding does not mean you should EXPECT it or tell people what you want.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM

61,102 posts, read 85,880,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In general I think it's tacky to ask for a gift. People are treating weddings as an opportunity to shake down their friends and family for swag. Sure, people are going to want to give the couple something to start their lives together, but the couple shouldn't be making any demands.

^^^ This! It just show no class.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,354,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Right--and I meant people get egotistical about the gifts they give--with an attitude like, You'll get what I give you and you'll like it! LOL

This is also very true! While it ought to be about the couple, we do make things like this personal.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,231,444 times
never heard of it...but, I think it's a cool idea. It's a suggestion, not a must.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:58 PM

607 posts, read 1,212,448 times
I don't mind honeymoon registries but I do agree with you that it was really tacky to include registry information with the wedding invitation. I thought it was customary for ppl attending the wedding to ask where the couple is registered if they plan to give buy a gift or for the couple to include it on their wedding website...but maybe that's not the case anymore?

I sorta like honeymoon registries. Couples who live together before getting married and couples past their late 20s often already have most of the household stuff they need. A honeymoon registry helps make people feel like their giving the couple something more than just a check.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,354,167 times
Also...I will most likely be marrying again at 44, my fiance is 54. We already have everything. Still, I see folks still register. At our age. Yep. Really declasse and very rude. There are people we know who are just starting out in life. Why would I ask them to get us anything??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings