Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
So, how were the guests invited to the shower I wonder. Did she do phone invitations? Then she could do phone thank yous.

If she mailed out invites, she already has the addresses and is being lazy.
The invitations were mailed. Maybe she should have included a note with the invitation asking each guest to bring a self addressed stamped envelope to the shower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Default tacky and lazy

Since the biggest pain-in-the-a$$ in writing out tons of thank-you cards is addressing the envelopes, this seems like forcing the gift-giving guests to do half the dirty work of sending the thank-you card.

Next they be having guests fill in their own thank you cards (like Mad Libs):
Dear: ______________ thank you so much for the ___________________! I'm certain it will come in handy!
Love, lazy bride/mother to be________________________

Guests can also be asked to bring their own stamps too, while they're at it!

Showers are annoying enough without this kind of crap.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Showers are annoying enough without this kind of crap.
LOL, for once I agree with you. I hate showers. Only once did I ever receive a thank-you card from one, and that was a family member's shower.

Even worse than friend/family showers are co-worker showers. When did this crap start? I have a hard and fast rule...I do not attend or give gifts at any co-worker's shower of any kind, for any reason. No exceptions. It galls me that people whom I work with and do not really speak to on a personal level expect me to buy them a present just because they're getting married (and I'm not invited to the wedding), or some high-up executive is popping out kid #2 and I'm expected to get a gift for someone who not only earns 3-4x what I do, but whose guts I cheerfully loathe?

Uh...no. No gifts for any coworkers for any reason, EVER.

/soapbox

Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
The only way I can get through a bridal or baby shower is: alcohol. The WORST thing is to have a shower with no liquor. That's just plain cruelty.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
Since when does the bride invite people to her bridal shower? Isn't that the maid of honor's job? Plus, with people sending/RSVPing to invitations through wedding websites and FB pages, you don't need to have their mailing address to invite them.
Yup, and at my sister's shower, the maid of honor handed my sister an envelope marked "our little secret", and inside were all the envelopes for the thank-you notes, already addressed.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:00 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Oh, I love baby showers. Love shopping for them (such CUTE things these days), love looking at all the little gifts...

Bridal showers, though, are outdated, purpose-wise. Many brides (not all, though) these days have lived on their own for quite a while (grooms too), and already have a completely outfitted kitchen, bath, etc. Not like decades ago when people really started out with nothing -- then these showers really served a purpose.

Last edited by Blinx; 03-26-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup, and at my sister's shower, the maid of honor handed my sister an envelope marked "our little secret", and inside were all the envelopes for the thank-you notes, already addressed.
That is a lovely idea! While I hope to NEVER be a Matron of Honor again (already served that role three times), I wish I would have thought of this simple, yet thoughtful, "gift" for the bride.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:25 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
So, how were the guests invited to the shower I wonder. Did she do phone invitations? Then she could do phone thank yous.

If she mailed out invites, she already has the addresses and is being lazy.
The phone invitation is as tacky as having to fill out the envelope. Invitations are to be mailed.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
I have been to a couple of showers where envelopes for thank you cards were passed out and each guest was supposed to address one. I hated it. Tacky!!!!!

I hated it even more when one time, my cousin and I were jointly holding a shower for a young woman who was marrying another one of our cousins. I'd met this young woman a couple of times; she was from the south and seemed very sweet and mannerly.

At the last minute, my co-host-cousin couldn't make it, but she left ME with instructions to pass out envelopes for everyone to address. I was mortified! I didn't want to ask people to do that!! I didn't want the guest of honor to feel like I was implying she didn't have sufficient manners to write thank you cards if we didn't get the job started for her. I refused to do it, but someone else was aware of the plan and she passed them out.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times
I always thought this is what the guest book was for. If you attend, you sign the guest book, write a small anecdote if you want and leave your address.

My sister from out of state sent gifts to my children when they were young. I addressed envelopes and had them write their own thank you's. They are the only ones she has ever received from ANYONE.

Why is it simple manners are becoming extinct? No wonder people are so depressed or filled with rage. We are losing our civility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings