U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 10:51 AM

2,761 posts, read 4,625,158 times

Advertisements

I am an usher for a friends wedding.
My friend just invited me to the brides wedding shower. He will be there. He also invited a few other close friends to the wedding shower.

What is the protocol here? Gift? No Gift?

I have one week notice, as the shower is next weekend.

I've never done this before.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 AM

35,103 posts, read 46,726,993 times
There generally is a shower gift given if you attend the shower and at the very least a nice card with money or a gift card inside.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM

26,381 posts, read 29,099,084 times
Traditionally the shower is to "shower" the couple with gifts to start their lives together. They're probably registered someplace like Target or Macy's or Bed Bath and Beyond, and you could buy them a gift of the registry, or you could give them cash or a gift card.

Sometimes for showers I like to do more "fun" gifts, like a tray with an acrylic pitcher, margarita glasses, and a bottle of good margarita mix, or a big flowerpot with gardening gloves, a trowel, and a few packets of seeds. That sort of thing.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:31 AM

10,903 posts, read 10,336,851 times
I like fleetie's ideas. Since there will be guys at the bride's shower, and technically gifts are for the couple, I'd suggest a nice bbq tool set, assuming they have a bbq of course.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:19 PM

3,474 posts, read 5,711,692 times
Definitely a gift, but smaller than what you'd do for a wedding gift. Traditionally, shower gifts were pretty minor -- a set of kitchen towels or BBQ tools or whatnot. Lately, in some places, the bar has been raised, and some people give pretty expensive gifts for showers. I typically still go small on shower gifts.

Tell us more about the couple. Do they already live together? Have fully furnished households? What are their hobbies?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM

2,761 posts, read 4,625,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Definitely a gift, but smaller than what you'd do for a wedding gift. Traditionally, shower gifts were pretty minor -- a set of kitchen towels or BBQ tools or whatnot. Lately, in some places, the bar has been raised, and some people give pretty expensive gifts for showers. I typically still go small on shower gifts.

Tell us more about the couple. Do they already live together? Have fully furnished households? What are their hobbies?
He is 33 and she is 28 or 29 I think.
They both lived alone before they met, and have moved in together already.
They live in her house. I have been there only a couple times, but her home is fully furnished, with pool and hot tub. This isn't a young couple that needs lots of stuff to start off. They already have a lot of nice stuff.

I disn't get a registry list, as it was an informal 'text message' invite this AM. Maybe he doean't expect anything? I donno. I could blindly buy a gift, but maybe a gift card is best scenerio here?

Some poster here including this one mention some good ideas, but she throws BBQ's every summer, so I assume she has that kinda stuff already.
I will ask him if there is a gift registry to start with, and go from there.

Any other ideas are welcome though.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,392,450 times
How about a very nice bottle of wine and decorative corkscrew or a set of etched monogrammed wine glasses...you might check with the groom again and make sure this isn't a "theme" shower. Grooms occasionally forget the details

Fleetiebelle is on the money with her suggestions. One thing several of my friends did - I love roses...they each bought me an heirloom rose bush for my garden. We've moved since then, the bushes have come along. We're also huge football fans - we got a monogrammed stadium blanket, which was out of the ordinary and pretty cool. It's short notice for monogramming, I guess...you can always go with a gift card to a big box store like Lowe's or Home Depot - we all need light bulbs at some point in time even if we don't need a circular saw

Old 05-31-2013, 09:13 AM

3,474 posts, read 5,711,692 times
For couples in that situation, I prefer to give "experiences." Tickets to a local sporting event (minor league or semi-pro stuff is especially fun and wallet friendly for a shower gift). If they might like a play or musical or ballet, single tickets to said. A gift card to a restaurant that does takeout picnics. If they BBQ, a gift card to a local butcher or meat house that does nice meat. Stuff like that, appropriate to their likes.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 PM

6,079 posts, read 6,474,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
For couples in that situation, I prefer to give "experiences." Tickets to a local sporting event (minor league or semi-pro stuff is especially fun and wallet friendly for a shower gift). If they might like a play or musical or ballet, single tickets to said. A gift card to a restaurant that does takeout picnics. If they BBQ, a gift card to a local butcher or meat house that does nice meat. Stuff like that, appropriate to their likes.

^I was thinking the same thing. Since they already have everything, an "experience" gift is a good idea. Before I read that, I was also going to suggest what I bolded.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 PM

24,851 posts, read 33,572,664 times
Gift. Check department stores and bed, bath and beyond for gift registries. They don't just hand those out with invitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings