Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 07:29 PM

23,978 posts, read 10,323,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
When my wife and I "got engaged" she had no money and no debt. I had no money and debt. We felt it would not be a good decision to go into debt for a "ring". We did have custom wedding rings made. So years later AI bought her an expensive, lovely "cocktail ring". It meant more to her then any engagement ring would have. The marriage lasted over 35 years before she passed.
Thank you for sharing!

I have a hard time with rings. There are a couple of those in the box. Some have never seen daylight. A set of custom made wedding bands is in there as well. SO's totally torn up. Mine brand new.

The monster tennis bracelet he put around Twostep's neck who promptly went to tour the yard is my go to piece when I need him and he cannot be there. Surgeries, travels, work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 07:40 PM

3,499 posts, read 1,707,677 times
Diamonds aren't as valuable as they once were because there is no shortage of them any longer, research it. If you do buy one, don't get less than a carat because I tried to sell mine a few months ago and the jeweler told me he wasn't interested because it was smaller than a carat (.87) and most jewelers want a carat or more. If I knew that when I bought it several years ago I could have easily bought a carat. My advice is don't spend $7,000 on a ring, use the money for your house.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:12 AM

5,457 posts, read 3,336,800 times
My engagement ring was a sapphire surrounded by opals. I loved it even though it wasn't a diamond and it wasn't expensive.

Upgrading to large diamond later probably won't happen. A lot of plans go awry as your financial situation fluctuates. Best laid plans can go out the window.

Start your wedded life easy. Don't rush to buy a house. Rent a place for at least a year before you decide to buy one. Look around the MLS now and then. Make sure to buy the house as if there were only one person working and the mortgage is only 30% if your net income. Expenses and shortages are going to increase dramatically for quite a while. Take the year's time to amass a 3 month rainy day fund in case you lose your job. Financial and work pressures and caring for a new baby plus lack of sleep is a lot of stress in your newlywed life and relationship.

Old 10-29-2022, 11:56 PM

10,142 posts, read 6,585,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
My engagement ring was a sapphire surrounded by opals. I loved it even though it wasn't a diamond and it wasn't expensive.

Upgrading to large diamond later probably won't happen. A lot of plans go awry as your financial situation fluctuates. Best laid plans can go out the window.

Start your wedded life easy. Don't rush to buy a house. Rent a place for at least a year before you decide to buy one. Look around the MLS now and then. Make sure to buy the house as if there were only one person working and the mortgage is only 30% if your net income. Expenses and shortages are going to increase dramatically for quite a while. Take the year's time to amass a 3 month rainy day fund in case you lose your job. Financial and work pressures and caring for a new baby plus lack of sleep is a lot of stress in your newlywed life and relationship.
Too bad the OP didn't "rush out and buy that $350k house." By now, it might be $1 million + depending upon which galaxy the OP hangs his hat. (Or, if he's even still alive.)

Anyway, sound advice as always.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:14 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,992,311 times
I personally couldn't marry someone who placed such a large importance on the ring. Of course, I want it nice and something she likes but it is after all a symbol of something much more important.

As for the house, we rushed to buy a house at the advice of a friend who sells properties. She also provided wonderful advice on great locations for a family; even though we weren't sure we were going to be in the house for more than 5 years. I bought it 6 months out of college and 2 years prior to our wedding date. If I had not done so, we would probably still be renting today. Housing prices skyrocketed. We are still living and raising a family in the home we bought 20 years ago. It is worth several times the price; more than we could afford today. The house will be paid for 8 years ahead of schedule.

Of course, it greatly depends on your locale and housing market. In our case, it was one of the best financial decisions we ever made together.

Old 11-04-2022, 02:35 PM

12,652 posts, read 14,783,052 times
Sure why not & who's to say otherwise?! The MAIN thing is, the couple found each other, are content together, & look forward to enjoy every moment of their married lives, etc. The ring is a symbol...an important symbol, but, still just a material item.

Old 11-17-2022, 07:58 AM

2,917 posts, read 1,492,617 times
Don't fall for the marketing crap, just buy something that you could afford within your paycheck's allowance.

I hate the whole marketing imprinted into people that you must buy a diamond pure gold ring for engage and wedding. It doesn't matter, marriage should be about celebration of your partnership and not let marketing tell you that you need to spend every dime or borrow to get something pricy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings