Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:02 AM

474 posts, read 384,538 times

Advertisements

What about c0(k rings?

Oft overlooked elements in the progression of young love...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
IMO, I don't see the point of "couple rings". It sounds like a scam invented by an industry to bilk you out of money you don't need to be spending. I'd never even heard of such a thing until this thread. You don't require a physical symbol of a dating commitment that looks like wedding bands but isn't. To each their own though.
Jewelries have been smart enough to create this “need” for a woman to have a ring or a guy to feel less of a man if he doesn’t buy her a ring. So you have men pressured to buy his girl a ring for anything you can imagine really: couple ring, promise ring, engagement ring, wedding ring, anniversary ring, etc. If jewelries wanted to make an extra buck they would start to target women as well to buy their man a ring for all those occasions. Business would maybe increase but then again women usually don’t spend big on men when it comes to gifts especially before marriage. Like you said, the “couple ring” sounds like a scam to get money out of men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
Primer on the "tradition" of engagement rings in the US:
BBC News - De Beers myth: Do people spend a month's salary on a diamond engagement ring?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1422579428
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wedding ring - legit
Engagement ring - marketing scam
Promise ring - ok, if you're in middle school
Couple's ring - wtf?
^^^

Old 09-28-2015, 11:38 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Engagement rings. Pssh. Take that money and stick it in a high-yield bond mutual fund instead, and then I'll know we're compatible.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM

894 posts, read 586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
"Couple rings" like you describe are uncommon, but they sound similar to a tradition among our older generation called "pinning," in which a girl wore a boy's class pin to show she was spoken for. Girls might also wear his jacket or something like that. Your boyfriend is wearing a ring too, which is very unusual, but still sweet.

Regarding your question about engagement rings, no, the man usually doesn't wear one. Historically, the woman was leaving her family, assuming the man's last name, and giving up her prime years of fertility and attractiveness based on a promise from the man that he would take care of her and their future family. An engagement ring was a symbol of his commitment to her because she was giving up more than he was. They're traditional but not everyone uses them; I didn't want one, for example.
I have heard of "pinning" but never heard of couple rings.

I never had a promise ring (although I've heard of them) nor an engagement ring. Due to circumstances, my late husband & current one only gave me wedding rings.

All my serious relationships were in my adult years so I was probably always much too old for pinning, couple rings, & promise rings.

However, an engagement ring would have been nice though. But, it's not that big a deal to me. As long as I have my wedding ring, I'm fine.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
Engagement ring is typical,many women want a big gaudy diamond to show around,it's a bit Blingy.
It's not typical in all of Europe, in Croatia you use to give an apple with coins in it to signify an engagement.

The wedding bands are simple often plain gold rings that both exchange on the wedding day.

Promise rings I'm not sure about I've never heard much about this,I think of it as having to do with Christian teens saving their virginity,or waiting till marriage.

Couples rings I've never heard of either.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:18 PM

894 posts, read 586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post

Promise rings I'm not sure about I've never heard much about this,I think of it as having to do with Christian teens saving their virginity,or waiting till marriage.
The ones for teens to signify them abstaining from sex is more often referred to as Purity rings.

They can get that from a parent, mentor, or significant other while the Promise rings are only exchanged between the 2 people dating as a symbol of committment.

Some people even go as far as to refer to it as their Pre-Engagement ring.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
Engagement Ring: The main diamond (or whatever stone is preferred) ring used to propose marriage with. It is worn right away to signify you are engaged. I have sold women a few "engagement rings" for men. Like a band to wear before they get their wedding band. But it is NOT common at all.
Then when you actually get married you get a band, or you "wedding ring" that you wear with the engagement ring, closest to your heart. The guy will also start wearing his band now. Once you have the engagement ring and the band, it is considered a wedding set as you are now married.

Promise rings: usually only for very young and those going off to military. Simply a promise to remain faithful until an engagement ring is possible.

Couples Jewelry: something we recently started marketing. We do most of them with birthstones, but we really never sell much of them. I think it's the modern twist on girls wearing boys class rings. But we still sell way more class rings than couples jewelry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings