Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 02:23 AM

468 posts, read 480,323 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Please forgive this Chinese-American girl due to she don't know much about 'western' culture when it come to the difference between 'wedding ring', 'engagement ring', 'promise ring' and 'couple rings', etc...

okay, pardon me but in my Chinese culture 'engagement ring" is not something common, it more of a 'western thing and Chinese later adapt it.
From what I know "engagement ring" is usually the guy buy for the girl to wear. He "officially" propose, and give her the 'engagement ring" as a promise to married her.

Usually this "engagement ring" type would have a diamond/crystal or some sort of rock on it. The girls love it, and show their engagement ring to her family and friends, BUT I only see the girl wear it. Does the guy buy himself an 'Engagement ring" and wear it too?
It is like a 'pair' of engagement ring that BOTH wear it, or just one engagement ring for the girl to wear only? I'm kindda confuse.

"promise ring" is for the younger generation type, like high school/college, early twenties type of people. It is similar to 'engagement ring' where the guy buy it for the girl to wear. He showing a promise to her, and an engagement ring would come next.

As for "wedding rings", this I know, so no need explaination on that. Whether it Chinese or American culture, wedding rings is all the same meaning.

The "couple rings". My BF have NOT 'officially" propose to me yet. But he bought a pair of matching rings for us. I guess it called "couple band rings" according to the western culture right? Someone say it like a mutual commitment type of rings right?

But how are 'couple rings' suppose to look like to others western culture couples? Anyone here wear couples band rings before? which hand/finger suppose to wear it on? Or is my BF a freak?
Are 'couple rings' just plain gold band like the 'wedding' band? He just got us the plain band type with No design, No rock on it, just simple plain matching band.
It the thoughts that count and I appreciate him for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:46 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,387,045 times
oh ishe, you are just too adorable

we know about you and your bf

i will just tell you to be good to your bf and follow his lead

if he bought some rings and calls em couple/promise rings just go with that...its the thought behnd it that counts

so dont think too hard about it. men buying gifts like jewelry even basic stuff is a big deal.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
"Couple rings" like you describe are uncommon, but they sound similar to a tradition among our older generation called "pinning," in which a girl wore a boy's class pin to show she was spoken for. Girls might also wear his jacket or something like that. Your boyfriend is wearing a ring too, which is very unusual, but still sweet.

Regarding your question about engagement rings, no, the man usually doesn't wear one. Historically, the woman was leaving her family, assuming the man's last name, and giving up her prime years of fertility and attractiveness based on a promise from the man that he would take care of her and their future family. An engagement ring was a symbol of his commitment to her because she was giving up more than he was. They're traditional but not everyone uses them; I didn't want one, for example.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:18 AM

468 posts, read 480,323 times
Thank you 'JustJulia' for explaining,

Last time I took my boyfriend to Chinatown in Los Angeles , to let him eat my culture Chinese authentic food here in Chinatown.
Then we passed by a jewelry store, we came in to take a look. He prefer 'silver', but I told him No silver, my Chinese culture prefer GOLD, lol
I said since we both poor anyways, so go with whatever the CHEAPEST price there, lol

Gold in Chinatown jewelry store is cheap anyways. Much cheaper than in the American jelwery store.
Then he brough the "couple rings" for us to wear. It the cheap simple band rings, with no design, no rock, no nothing, just simply gold.
I bet he bought the 'gold' because of me, or else he would have choose the 'silver' that he likes.

He wear the ring too, so do I. Someone say it called "couple rings" for couples that in relationship, for mutual committment. Well it call 'couple rings" right? So BOTH got to wear it.
It just the simple band ring, nothing fancy like engagement ring.
Simple band ring like older generation people wear as wedding rings.

Last edited by ishe; 01-29-2015 at 07:36 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 AM

2,400 posts, read 3,626,121 times
Ive been seeing people wear these really thin gold bands on their wedding finger and theyve never been married. I just figured it was a sign theyre in a serious relationship. So Ive learned something about couple rings as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:20 AM

8,915 posts, read 7,660,464 times
Meh...I don't really believe there is too much significance in rings when it comes to relationships. I don't care to have one, and don't really care too much for material items in general.

From what I can tell...it seems to symbolize nothing more than the fact that you two are together and that's it, don't look so far into it. Nothing major.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:18 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,733,870 times
I think they're all the same.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
If your boyfriend initiated you both wearing rings to note your commitment, cool. It doesn't matter if there is a traditional precedent set for it, a special name for it, or not. It's just something he wanted to do in solidarity.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 AM

6,534 posts, read 7,250,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishe View Post
Does the guy buy himself an 'Engagement ring" and wear it too?
It is like a 'pair' of engagement ring that BOTH wear it, or just one engagement ring for the girl to wear only? I'm kindda confuse.
Promise rings, engagement rings, etc. involves the man buying them for a woman. It's rare for a woman to also buy a man that kind of ring or propose. Like you said, this is western culture.

Quote:
It the thoughts that count and I appreciate him for it
Agree. I can care less if my girl spend all kinds of money on my ring or if she didn't spend anything at all. The ring won't define if my relationship will be good or bad. For us, its just a symbol .

Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 AM

32,478 posts, read 47,405,393 times
ishe, I don't know about "couple's rings", but it sounds to me that it indicates that your are going steady.

When I was younger, a couple would decide to go steady and that meant that they would not date anyone else. The girl wore the boy's class ring, so that everyone would know that they were going steady and were a committed couple.

The boy couldn't usually wear the girl's class ring because it would be too small for him, but sometimes he would wear it on a chain around his neck.

It was not engaged, or pre-engaged. It was just a commitment to not date anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings