Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
That is my opinion!
You can judge if you like.
My family members tried to control wedding and Op need to her foot down.
You're BARELY dating, you're 19, are in nothing resembling a serious, long-term relationship, and you're complaining that family members are hypothetically trying to control your hypothetical wedding? Really?

On the topic of the OP, there isn't any reason for adult children to get their noses out of joint that a parent's low-key, later-in-life nuptials earlier in the year will in any way impact the attention they get lavished upon them for their wedding to take place later. Throwing some kind of fit over your dad and stepmom's earlier vow exchange overshadowing your wedding seems more than a little drama-seeking and over-the-top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You're BARELY dating, you're 19, are in nothing resembling a serious, long-term relationship, and you're complaining that family members are hypothetically trying to control your hypothetical wedding? Really?

Can't make this stuff up.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Does anyone think it is weird that Op's future stepson planned his wedding within months of his father's wedding?
the stepson didn't know, the OP said, they didn't share their plans with anyone, so I'm assuming he didn't know, or maybe I'm wrong?

Old 08-31-2015, 12:42 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
[quote=TabulaRasa;41030257]You're BARELY dating, you're 19, are in nothing resembling a serious, long-term relationship, and you're complaining that family members are hypothetically trying to control your hypothetical wedding? Really?

On the topic of the OP, there isn't any reason for adult children to get their noses out of joint that a parent's low-key, later-in-life nuptials earlier in the year will in any way impact the attention they get lavished upon them for their wedding to take place later. Throwing some kind of fit over your dad and stepmom's earlier vow exchange overshadowing your wedding seems more than a little drama-seeking and over-the-top.[/quote
I probably should my word better .
It seems like there more people were involved with this story.
I turned 20 a few weeks ago.
I am capable of having long term relationships but not now.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the stepson didn't know, the OP said, they didn't share their plans with anyone, so I'm assuming he didn't know, or maybe I'm wrong?
I think that was the deal. This thread is quite confusing.

I do believe I would have, upon hearing my son was planning a summer wedding, simply state "congratulations, son! We had not shared the date just yet but we're planning a very small wedding in April, ourselves!"

End of story. End of problem.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:06 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

I do believe I would have, upon hearing my son was planning a summer wedding, simply state "congratulations, son! We had not shared the date just yet but we're planning a very small wedding in April, ourselves!"

Yeah, to be upset over something that was completely avoidable had the OP shared their happy news with the soon-to-be stepson in the first place.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

yes, me to, however, the OP sounds very young...and like they are afraid to hurt feelings...
I wouldn't change my plans either....

I believe people get lost in reading all the posts...and forget what the OP wrote...I know I do...lol

Old 08-31-2015, 01:12 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, me to, however, the OP sounds very young...and like they are afraid to hurt feelings...
I wouldn't change my plans either....

I believe people get lost in reading all the posts...and forget what the OP wrote...I know I do...lol
I think it was more the OP's future husband's feelings of not wanting to feel like he has one-upped his son. I think that if the son and futher D-I-L would find out, they'd just say "congratulations!"

I think it was the OP's future husband thinking too heavily into something that wasn't there.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I think it was more the OP's future husband's feelings of not wanting to feel like he has one-upped his son. I think that if the son and futher D-I-L would find out, they'd just say "congratulations!"

I think it was the OP's future husband thinking too heavily into something that wasn't there.
Which instantly made me think this was going to devolve into "the OP's fiance is looking for a way to bail on this wedding."

Thankfully, that was not the case.

He just got blindsided by his son planning a wedding so close to his, sounds like.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post

yes, it was, but the op could also insert her feelings openly and honestly to her future husband, this is a couple's deal....yanno? they need to sit down and discuss this, just b/c he says so, doesn't make it right, there are two people in on this deal...right?

I agree with you...though....absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings