Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,228,567 times

Advertisements

My wedding is coming up quick! Next month!!! I got an itemized list of costs from our venue including the food and all of that, and then we have all of the other expenses.

I decided I would like to postpone our honeymoon for a year and my fiance is ok with that.

He is carrying the load of all of the costs and I just don't want all of the wedding costs and then honeymoon costs on top of that over his head all at once.

We are going to take a trip to the mountains and stay in a cabin for 4 days or so doing things we love to do.....including zip lining!

I have been doing a bunch of wedding stuff and in the process added a new family member, my Obie dog.

Things are coming right along for us!!! My dress is in for alterations and I have a fitting in a week and we go from there. She told me not to lose anymore weight and to eat dessert......I cannot say that will happen!

Anyone else decide to postpone their honeymoon? My first marriage I didn't have one at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:28 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,992,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

We are going to take a trip to the mountains and stay in a cabin for 4 days or so doing things we love to do.....including zip lining!
Is this the trip you are postponing for a year?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,714,155 times
We did!

We paid for our wedding costs ourselves and decided to have a first anniversary trip instead!

Old 09-04-2015, 11:11 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,128,436 times
We didn't have a honeymoon. Just stayed 2 extra nights at the B&B where we got married and relaxed, went wine-tasting, etc. We've had several trips over the last few months since we got married.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Is this the trip you are postponing for a year?
No. This is just a little getaway we are having just after the wedding. We will honeymoon next year.

He has the time off and we want to do something, and that is perfect for us.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
We did!

We paid for our wedding costs ourselves and decided to have a first anniversary trip instead!
Yep, that's what we are doing too. It wasn't his idea, but he is covering everything except for the little things here and there that I have bought. I just saw all of the cost and then what he has already put in and I feel like it isn't necessary to spend sooooo much money all at once.

I think it has taken that stressed look off both our faces, lolol. I am actually excited about it because it gives us more time to plan a great trip! He has been blah blah about what to do, letting me decide and not wanting to put any thought into it. Now we can work on it together some more.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
We didn't have a honeymoon. Just stayed 2 extra nights at the B&B where we got married and relaxed, went wine-tasting, etc. We've had several trips over the last few months since we got married.
That sounds nice. I am really going to enjoy what we are doing because I love being in the mountains and outdoors, and my favorite time of year to take pictures is the fall!

Old 09-05-2015, 06:36 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,992,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
No. This is just a little getaway we are having just after the wedding. We will honeymoon next year.

He has the time off and we want to do something, and that is perfect for us.
A "honeymoon" does not have to be an extravagant trip to a foreign country. It is time spent after your wedding where you and your new husband relax and spend time together. So, you aren't postponing your honeymoon; you are going on one.

What you are postponing is an expensive vacation.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 24,966,016 times
Quote:
A "honeymoon" does not have to be an extravagant trip to a foreign country. It is time spent after your wedding where you and your new husband relax and spend time together. So, you aren't postponing your honeymoon; you are going on one.

I agree. What you described (cabin in the mountains, etc). was twice as long as my honeymoon (to a nearby big city, where we spent two nights in a budget but OK downtown hotel, saw one play, ate one meal at nicer restaurant (we packed a cooler full of food and had a few picnics in a nearby park), went to the art museum and spent lots of quality time together). We have been married for close to 40 years so it obvious "worked". It is surprising how often we reminisce about things that we did on our honeymoon.

Please start to call and consider your trip to the mountains as your actual honeymoon (which it is) and I bet that it will seem better and better and start to make you happier and happier.

BTW, we couldn't afford a big "honeymoon type" trip until many years later when I inherited some money and took my hubby and our 11 and 15 year old children on a cruise to the Hawaiian Islands.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:

What we are going to be doing (a cabin in the mountains) is something we enjoy doing and would normally do.

Neither of us need or want extravagant nor do we want to go to a foreign country. What we WOULD like to do is something neither of us have done together before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings