Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 02:17 AM

332 posts, read 294,356 times

Advertisements

Poor guy, marrying the girl of his dreams, hopefully he knows this side of her. Also odd to me that she wants to borrow the dress. I'm not big on weddings and don't care for dresses but if I had to do all of that, I would want a dress that's my own, not from someone else's closet unless it was my mom. Even if I was on a tight budget, I wouldn't borrow lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 PM

282 posts, read 235,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
Poor guy, marrying the girl of his dreams, hopefully he knows this side of her. Also odd to me that she wants to borrow the dress. I'm not big on weddings and don't care for dresses but if I had to do all of that, I would want a dress that's my own, not from someone else's closet unless it was my mom. Even if I was on a tight budget, I wouldn't borrow lol.
Isn't anyone else bothered that two weeks into dating and they're engaged?
Sounds like he's just going to be the cleanup man in her life after she's had her fun with all these other guys. If not more in the future.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,336,943 times
I am glad you were able to decide against it without having to hurt her feelings with the answer of no. I know exactly how you feel.

I still need to get mine preserved and if someone like that wanted to borrow it, it just would not happen. If my daughter may want to use it later down the line that could also happen.

I was so worried about my dress getting dirty (before the wedding) on the day of the wedding, but once the day came I honestly did not even care. I was walking through the dirt here and there and every where. Through the grass, just all over the place!

I did not give it a second thought until I was taking it off and through to myself, whow, that is really dirty!

It was my day and I wouldn't have changed a thing. For me to dirty the dress up is one thing, it is expected, but for someone else to do that it is not.....

Old 12-24-2015, 06:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,486,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
What would you say if someone asked to borrow your wedding dress for their wedding?

A friend that I haven't really seen or heard from much since my wedding in June just got engaged. She is getting married to her high school sweetheart, 13 years later. They broke up back then and he always would have married her in a minute if that is what she wanted. As long as I've known her, she has dated guys, moved in too soon, argued with them, gotten violent with each, and then had to scramble to find a place to live. I've seen that play out about four times in the past three years.

The guy is nice, I like him a lot! He would come visit and help the new guy out when she would fly off the handle.

She just announced after two weeks of re-dating, they're engaged. And she wants to know if she can borrow my dress. For a while, prior to my wedding, she stopped answering my texts because my husband is best friends with her cousin that she had a falling out with and so she just ignored me.

I am having these weird feelings about it knowing the situation. I know anyone else can buy my dress - it is for sale at one of the biggest dress distributors in the country. I feel like if a bunch of factors were changed - I wouldn't mind if someone borrowed it. It's just a dress, I guess?

I don't know.

Unless you plan on wearing it again I don't see the harm in letting her borrow it

Old 12-31-2015, 09:37 PM

37,120 posts, read 42,178,043 times
I complimented a bride (childhood friend) on her dress at her wedding and she told me I could borrow it when I got married. Well 2 years later I got engaged and hadn't talked to her since but I asked her anyway and she said sure. She had already lent it to someone else in the meantime and she complemented me at on the dress at my wedding That dress more than fulfilled it's wedding destiny, I'll say that much.

I'm at a point in my life where borrowing things you only need to use once just seems more natural and logical than spending money. I mean if you stop to think about it who would really pay $$$ for a costume to wear to a party for a couple hours if they knew someone who had one they could borrow? That's really what a wedding dress comes down to so if the style is right why not?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:09 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,029,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I complimented a bride (childhood friend) on her dress at her wedding and she told me I could borrow it when I got married. Well 2 years later I got engaged and hadn't talked to her since but I asked her anyway and she said sure. She had already lent it to someone else in the meantime and she complemented me at on the dress at my wedding That dress more than fulfilled it's wedding destiny, I'll say that much.

I'm at a point in my life where borrowing things you only need to use once just seems more natural and logical than spending money. I mean if you stop to think about it who would really pay $$$ for a costume to wear to a party for a couple hours if they knew someone who had one they could borrow? That's really what a wedding dress comes down to so if the style is right why not?
Smart! Love the way you think.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:09 PM
MEM

123 posts, read 405,564 times
I used mine to make my daughter's christening gown. So it can be put to use in the future! Or depending on the dress you could have something else made with it to save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings