Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,470 times

Advertisements

What would you say if someone asked to borrow your wedding dress for their wedding?

A friend that I haven't really seen or heard from much since my wedding in June just got engaged. She is getting married to her high school sweetheart, 13 years later. They broke up back then and he always would have married her in a minute if that is what she wanted. As long as I've known her, she has dated guys, moved in too soon, argued with them, gotten violent with each, and then had to scramble to find a place to live. I've seen that play out about four times in the past three years.

The guy is nice, I like him a lot! He would come visit and help the new guy out when she would fly off the handle.

She just announced after two weeks of re-dating, they're engaged. And she wants to know if she can borrow my dress. For a while, prior to my wedding, she stopped answering my texts because my husband is best friends with her cousin that she had a falling out with and so she just ignored me.

I am having these weird feelings about it knowing the situation. I know anyone else can buy my dress - it is for sale at one of the biggest dress distributors in the country. I feel like if a bunch of factors were changed - I wouldn't mind if someone borrowed it. It's just a dress, I guess?

I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 02:00 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Heck, I would have given it to anyone who would put it to good use!

Old 11-11-2015, 02:11 PM

Yeah - I think I am trying to reconcile if this is actually "good use." LOL! Maybe it was listening to all of her crying, "Is THAT what I have to settle for?!"

I dunno! I feel like that is my biggest hang up in being like, "Sure! borrow it!" (that and my own wedding was only like 4 months ago so I still see it is "mine" in a selfish way)

Old 11-11-2015, 02:16 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
(that and my own wedding was only like 4 months ago so I still see it is "mine" in a selfish way)
Not selfish at all... you are still in the honeymoon phase!

Mine got donated on my 35th anniversary. It was silly to hold on to it for that long...

Old 11-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Yes - I guess I wonder if I would feel differently if it were even a couple of more years out from my wedding.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:34 PM

I also don't want to be selfish, either.

My mind is trying to reconcile it. I don't want to be selfish, but I still view it as mine since we haven't had an anniversary yet! LOL! It is the most expensive item of clothing I have ever bought myself.

I think - what if it gets ruined? Drinks spill, dance floors are dirty, nobody takes care of your things like you do. do I want to take that chance?

It also seems like this person is able to contact me to ask me for a favor, but not much lately in the terms of friendship since I do not hate her cousin like she does. I am not on anyone's side!

But on one hand, it is beautiful and lovely and already bustled.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:40 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,809 times
^^^^^Be true to yourself. It sounds like it doesn't feel right to lend your wedding dress ! Period. No need to give any reason.

I don't lend anything out, and I'm still surprised when people ask. I just say, no I don't lend anything out. I'm not going to say more than that.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
I vote no.

Just tell her you've had it cleaned and "preserved," in one of those sealed boxes, so you can't lend it to her.

I think it's pretty ballsy of her to ask. I've really never heard of that, outside of a family member passing one down.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:38 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Sounds like she only contacts when SHE needs to... I'd tell her what Wms said -- I had it preserved... and I think you're perfectly within your rights to do so. If a friend of mine complained about another friend not giving her her wedding dress four months out to use, I know who I'D think badly of, and it wouldn't be you.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:55 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
Personally, I think it would depend on (A) how close I was to that person and (B) that person's financial situation. If buying their own dress would be completely out of reach financially then I would feel a lot more inclined to share than I would if they were just trying to save a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings