Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you are, but I could drive just over an hour to a ski resort that also has facilities for events like weddings. Doesn't seem odd to me. If it is far away from you, and no RSVP card, maybe you aren't expected to go. If it is an announcement, it should have been sent after the wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 09:34 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Got a card in the mail today that I thought was for Christmas. No, it's a wedding invitation. For January 9, at a ski resort.

I don't get it. AFAIK, the bride and groom aren't avid skiers. What's the bride going to walk down the aisle in, apres-ski booties? Both the MOB and the GMOB have mobility issues, so yeah, let's drag them to a high altitude location with lots of ice and snow.

We won't be going. I realize weddings are all about the bride but this isn't her first. The family pulled out all the stops on that one (10 years ago) and we took a week off from work to attend...and ended up being treated like redheaded stepchildren, so no. Especially since we'll see them all at Christmas, a mere 15 days earlier!

I realize that no one makes plans while considering what the guests might have to go through to get there and we won't be missed. But this seems exceptionally tone-deaf when they could have gotten married at Christmas.

I wish them all the happiness in the world, naturally, while simultaneously wondering what the heck they're thinking.
Why do womem think because they were invited to a wedding they have to go or send a gift? You are not entitled to do either! F em I say!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:45 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
If this is the first marriage for one of them then give a gift at Christmas get together as that's all the invite was for anyway. People have become very tasteless over the decades.My brother in law was married three times to same woman and they had a gift registry each time!!! Embarrassing. Usually don't pay attention to people's screen names but did see yours and love it.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:00 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Anyone who wants a destination wedding should not be planning on a large attendance.

Or at least have sense enough to send out invites sooner than this.

Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:11 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Got a card in the mail today that I thought was for Christmas. No, it's a wedding invitation. For January 9, at a ski resort.

I don't get it. AFAIK, the bride and groom aren't avid skiers. What's the bride going to walk down the aisle in, apres-ski booties? Both the MOB and the GMOB have mobility issues, so yeah, let's drag them to a high altitude location with lots of ice and snow.

We won't be going. I realize weddings are all about the bride but this isn't her first. The family pulled out all the stops on that one (10 years ago) and we took a week off from work to attend...and ended up being treated like redheaded stepchildren, so no. Especially since we'll see them all at Christmas, a mere 15 days earlier!

I realize that no one makes plans while considering what the guests might have to go through to get there and we won't be missed. But this seems exceptionally tone-deaf when they could have gotten married at Christmas.

I wish them all the happiness in the world, naturally, while simultaneously wondering what the heck they're thinking.

They don't want you there anyway.

Nobody sends out wedding invites a month before a wedding, and that's just when the wedding is local, the norm is 3 to 4 months advance notice, never mind at an out of town location.

If they really wanted you there you would have received this invite at the latest in October.

They want a gift, not you to attend.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:17 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Wow. That's a new one on me but I don't keep up on trends.

It's been a few years since I delved into wedding etiquette but aren't announcements (as opposed to invitations) the thing if you don't expect people to come?

There's no RSVP. The plan apparently is for everyone to have dinner afterwards in the hotel dining room. They might not need an exact headcount for that, so the lack of an RSVP could make sense. I'm trying not to read too much into this whole thing.

Wrong, the hotel kitchen staff would need a headcount. Your comment makes no sense. How do you plan for dinner when you have no idea how many are coming? Even buffet style requires a headcount.

The invites must have gone out much sooner to those who are actually invited and who did RSVP.

Your not invited. They're announcing they're getting married and sent you an announcement not an invite, hoping for a gift.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why do womem think because they were invited to a wedding they have to go or send a gift? You are not entitled to do either! F em I say!
Traditionally, a wedding invitation meant you sent a gift whether you attended or not.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Wow. That's a new one on me but I don't keep up on trends.

It's been a few years since I delved into wedding etiquette but aren't announcements (as opposed to invitations) the thing if you don't expect people to come?

There's no RSVP. The plan apparently is for everyone to have dinner afterwards in the hotel dining room. They might not need an exact headcount for that, so the lack of an RSVP could make sense. I'm trying not to read too much into this whole thing.
Perhaps you are on the B-list.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Traditionally, a wedding invitation meant you sent a gift whether you attended or not.
Exactly. Women's rule. Lol

Old 12-06-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Exactly. Women's rule. Lol
I prefer to think it dated back to a time when there was less tackiness.

This particular situation screams gift grab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings