Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I prefer to think it dated back to a time when there was less tackiness.

This particular situation screams gift grab.
This more so yes .. But even so, just getting invite should not obligate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This more so yes .. But even so, just getting invite should not obligate you.
Hell's Bells!

Go to Freudian Slip in Invitation.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:14 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't know where you are, but I could drive just over an hour to a ski resort that also has facilities for events like weddings. Doesn't seem odd to me. If it is far away from you, and no RSVP card, maybe you aren't expected to go. If it is an announcement, it should have been sent after the wedding.
I was going to say--I've been to several weddings at resort areas that do offer skiing among other things, but the ceremonies were in a beautiful lodge setting with views of the mountains. Nobody got married in an inaccessible location or expected guests to perform athletic feats.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:18 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Wow. That's a new one on me but I don't keep up on trends.

It's been a few years since I delved into wedding etiquette but aren't announcements (as opposed to invitations) the thing if you don't expect people to come?
Maybe an invitation is used to make the guests feel more pressured to send a gift?

Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Perhaps you are on the B-list.

She's on the "you're not invited because we're telling you a month before and the invited guests were told three months ago so they could actually come, no RSVP because this is just an announcement so you can send a gift" LIST.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:34 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Wow. That's a new one on me but I don't keep up on trends.

It's been a few years since I delved into wedding etiquette but aren't announcements (as opposed to invitations) the thing if you don't expect people to come?

There's no RSVP. The plan apparently is for everyone to have dinner afterwards in the hotel dining room. They might not need an exact headcount for that, so the lack of an RSVP could make sense. I'm trying not to read too much into this whole thing.
Announcements are also sent after the wedding occurs.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,285 times
The announcement should really be sent out after the wedding.

I think a second wedding it needs to state (Please no gifts) so tacky to think people should be sending gifts.

I can't believe one post saying they know someone that married the same person three times and they registered for gifts each time ?! They should be embarrassed. Really lacking fundamental manners.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:43 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times
I'd just send a congratulations card and try not to read too much into it.

Perhaps the lodge was only non rec-hall type of venue available at a reasonable price on short notice. Like another poster said, they may really want a small intimate gathering but feel obligated to invite extended family to avoid hurting feelings and by making it a destination wedding, they could invite all of the family but pretty much ensure that most don't attend.

Either way it's their rodeo. Go or not go, it's up to you.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Maybe she is pregnant and trying to beat the clock ;-). I wouldn't think it was too weird, I just wouldn't go. I knew a couple who got married in secret from the brides family, got gifts from the grooms side. Had a big elaborate wedding a year later (the brides family paid for it still not knowing they were already married) and reasked the grooms family for gifts, and expected them so they could help keep the secret. I was on the grooms side. I didn't go. I wasn't interested in going to an event where I had to lie to a bunch of people. So that to me was super tacky, this...meh. I wouldn't worry about it. They likely don't expect a big turn out. And it's true, you might be on the b list of lots of people RSVPed no. Or they felt obligated to invite you but didn't expect you to come.

Did it have gift registry info on it?

Old 12-06-2015, 02:20 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
.........at a ski resort.

I don't get it. AFAIK, the bride and groom aren't avid skiers. What's the bride going to walk down the aisle in, apres-ski booties?..........
I am going to guess that they chose the ski resort so that they would have beautiful background in their wedding photos. Wedding ceremony is most likely going to be in the lodge, not out in the howling wind and snow.

Where I live, ski resort isn't even a destination wedding. Ski resort is right up the road. So, how far away is this ski resort?

Send a card that says congratulations. You don't have to go if you don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings