Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 12:15 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Please note....if you have an accident, a Tungsten ring cannot be cut off at the hospital like gold, silver, or platinum. Something else then gets cut.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know many, many people who have had to have a ring cut off. Esp. with you saying you are very active, you may want to re-think this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 01:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know many, many people who have had to have a ring cut off. Esp. with you saying you are very active, you may want to re-think this.
I did a lot of research prior to getting a tungsten ring and was told that tungsten rings can be fractured into pieces by vise-grip pliers, so you CAN get it off in cases of emergency. I was also told my a friend who is an ER doctor that they have the equipment to get them off in emergencies.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:45 PM

95 posts, read 110,188 times
I have a couple of new questions about color.
1. Should the band be white or yellow? What is more common in the States, in the UK, in the Continental Europe?
2. Should the husband's color match the wife's one?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecru View Post
I have a couple of new questions about color.
1. Should the band be white or yellow? What is more common in the States, in the UK, in the Continental Europe?
2. Should the husband's color match the wife's one?
1. Depends on what your future spouse wants.
2. Again, depends. Do you want them to match? It's nice if they do, but mine are platinum and my husbands are titanium. They look similar, but they don't exactly match in color.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:39 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I personally don't care to wear the ring part AND the band part that the ring (w/ the main stone) fits into so that there are 2-3 bands around the finger. I want a 1-band ring & that's it. Do MOST jewelers have that kind of thing when I start to look for rings? (I'm female)

Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I personally don't care to wear the ring part AND the band part that the ring (w/ the main stone) fits into so that there are 2-3 bands around the finger. I want a 1-band ring & that's it. Do MOST jewelers have that kind of thing when I start to look for rings? (I'm female)
Sounds like what you're looking for may be known as an Anniversary Ring (if I'm remembering the name correctly). Here are 2 examples:

The first is what my wife found when I told her I Refused to buy any of the crap we saw in local stores. My wife wears the 2nd as her only/everyday ring. As someone in the medical field where gloves are common, she knew she didn't want a normal stone setting as they snag like crazy. She also wanted something different, unique... so we had the jeweler who made the first, make us the 2nd.

Knowing what we do now, decades on, we wouldn't have bought a new ring but would have bought a vintage/used ring. More hunting/searching, but Much lower cost and so unique that no one else will ever have something even close to similar.

The downside is that it's not a surprise (though it could be if the guy used a placeholder ring till you both found the exact right one).

Anyway, is this sorta what you were thinking about?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:34 PM

^ I appreciate you taking the time to post & post pics, but if what I'm describing looks like those, hmm, I don't really like them...no offense. I kinda quickly looked at a store or two in the mall so far, so no hard searching yet. I'll know when I see it that it's "the one".

I love modern, never cared for the old styles or antiques, so I'll have to search high & low for what's really out there. I also will probably be going to Hawaii in a year, so I'm not opposed to seeing what kinds of jewelry stores they have over there too. I'd love to see what kind of wedding rings Japan has, but I don't know if I want to wait till 2020 when I plan to go for the Olympics. Hmmm.

I kinda like much more along the lines of these which are more substantial than a skinny little band, but still just 1 piece & it's more modern-looking:

https://www.simongjewelry.com/wp-con..._main_1000.jpg

https://www.simongjewelry.com/produc...gagement-ring/

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-11-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
^ I appreciate you taking the time to post & post pics, but if what I'm describing looks like those, hmm, I don't really like them...no offense. I kinda quickly looked at a store or two in the mall so far, so no hard searching yet. I'll know when I see it that it's "the one".

I love modern, never cared for the old styles or antiques, so I'll have to search high & low for what's really out there. I also will probably be going to Hawaii in a year, so I'm not opposed to seeing what kinds of jewelry stores they have over there too. I'd love to see what kind of wedding rings Japan has, but I don't know if I want to wait till 2020 when I plan to go for the Olympics. Hmmm.

I kinda like much more along the lines of these which are more substantial than a skinny little band, but still just 1 piece & it's more modern-looking:

What you like is really the same as the ones he posted, just a different take on that style. Wider band, not so thin as most engagement ring bands, can be worn alone without a separate wedding band.

He's posted some that have a vintage look with filigree. You want something with cleaner angles. It's still rather a vintage look and not particularly modern, but modern ones do exist with wider bands. They tend to have less diamonds scattered all over them and more metal with a larger stone and perhaps some smaller ones, but not all those "blingy" diamonds like the ones you posted.

This one is truly a "modern" ring: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/61/44...f3f24f54b0.jpg

Here's another: https://christopherduquet.com/wp-con...collection.jpg

Old 01-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What you like is really the same as the ones he posted, just a different take on that style. Wider band, not so thin as most engagement ring bands, can be worn alone without a separate wedding band.

He's posted some that have a vintage look with filigree. You want something with cleaner angles. It's still rather a vintage look and not particularly modern, but modern ones do exist with wider bands. They tend to have less diamonds scattered all over them and more metal with a larger stone and perhaps some smaller ones, but not all those "blingy" diamonds like the ones you posted.

This one is truly a "modern" ring: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/61/44...f3f24f54b0.jpg

Here's another: https://christopherduquet.com/wp-con...collection.jpg
Thanks! I like those & have seen them when browsing websites as well. I especially like the 2nd tri-circular one, but it looks like one of those cheap, fashion rings (although I know that style can be made w/ real diamonds too), so I'd like something w/ the same modern-ness, but that looks richer, like someone laid down about $4k - $6K for it.

The 1st one, I'd like a bit more than just 1 stone, so it's nice, but more embellishment.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:

I'll describe my wedding set that I used to have...until I lost it.

My engagement ring was an emerald cut diamond, with a trillion on each side. Then I found a ring guard that had round diamonds around the top, and around the bottom.

I had the engagement ring soldered to the ring guard, thus making one ring. I loved it, and it was kind of a one of a kind ring.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it's probably important that all the rings be the same metal. Mine were yellow gold. The engagement ring was 18 carat, but the ring guard was 10 carat. Not that anyone could tell by looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings