Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 02:13 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times

Advertisements

Hmm...My youngest uncle’s probably ranks right up there...Held on the rooftop of an Embassy Suites, the Groomsmen came out 5 minutes late, my grandmother was vastly overdressed with a ridiculous gown with a train, my brother was dressed in a pair of ripped trousers and a tattered shirt like he was attending a John Denver concert, and to top it all off, my uncle only found out his new found wife was shooting heroin up on the night of the wedding when she was on the verge of dying some weeks later and she actually did end up passing away from an OD about a year later.

Just an overall weird and terrible situation all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Hmm...My youngest uncle’s probably ranks right up there...Held on the rooftop of an Embassy Suites, the Groomsmen came out 5 minutes late, my grandmother was vastly overdressed with a ridiculous gown with a train, my brother was dressed in a pair of ripped trousers and a tattered shirt like he was attending a John Denver concert, and to top it all off, my uncle only found out his new found wife was shooting heroin up on the night of the wedding when she was on the verge of dying some weeks later and she actually did end up passing away from an OD about a year later.

Just an overall weird and terrible situation all around.

I knew a family, who's only child died of a heroin overdose on his wedding night.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:02 PM

And you all thought I was bad for making guests buy their own mixed drinks...

Here's a bridezilla beyond the pale...

This Bride Canceled Her Wedding After Guests Refused to Pay Her $1,500 Attendance Fee

Susan" is causing quite the debate online after posting a bizarre Facebook rant about her now-canceled wedding. Yup, the couple called off the wedding just days before their I dos, after their guests refused to pay the $1,500 attendance fee Susan was demanding in order to pay for her CAD $60,000 ($46,020 USD) dream wedding.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And you all thought I was bad for making guests buy their own mixed drinks...

Here's a bridezilla beyond the pale...

This Bride Canceled Her Wedding After Guests Refused to Pay Her $1,500 Attendance Fee

Susan" is causing quite the debate online after posting a bizarre Facebook rant about her now-canceled wedding. Yup, the couple called off the wedding just days before their I dos, after their guests refused to pay the $1,500 attendance fee Susan was demanding in order to pay for her CAD $60,000 ($46,020 USD) dream wedding.
Wow, I can not even imagine anyone asking/demanding that their wedding guests pay any type of attendance fee, let alone a $1,500 attendance fee. Man, oh man!

Old 08-28-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, I can not even imagine anyone asking/demanding that their wedding guests pay any type of attendance fee, let alone a $1,500 attendance fee. Man, oh man!

Not even for the party of the century? ;-)

Old 08-28-2018, 11:50 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
All of them.

I can't stand what passes for a wedding these days.

The stupid crap that is made up by the photographer with the "first look" and the million horrible photos- the ring shot, the dress/shoes and invite still life, the groomsmen doing something silly. Seen one you seen them all.

The bad food and music.

The ugly strapless dresses that all look alike.

The venue that the bride and groom have 99% likely never been to except to plan the wedding and therefore has no meaning to them.

All the money that is thrown away that could be spent planning for the future.

The "guest activities" they plan for you.

All of it is just ridiculous.

The real purpose of ugly strapless dresses that all look alike: show the audience what she looks like with a white towel on after a shower.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM

I had one attendant. I let her pick her own dress. I had one stipulation. Had to be floor length. She picked a halter style, kind of a tropical print, except in shades of cream, brown and black, and it had some sparkles on it.

She looked awesome.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:27 PM

OH...and I got married in a restaurant, on a barge, on the Mississippi. It was the first and only wedding they ever did. We picked it because we'd eaten there a couple of times, and sometimes I think I must've been a mermaid in another life, because I'm just...drawn to bodies of water. LOL

Our photographer got some great shots of us with the sun setting behind us.

And we picked all our own music, for the wedding and the reception. My matron of honor's husband made sure the tunes got played in a timely way.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Two come to mind. Both cousins, one on each side of the family.

Mom’s niece’s wedding in an Alabama church, reception in the church event hall. Bible thumping minister. Tuna salad sandwiches for dinner, no alcohol, not even sparkling juice for a toast, just some 2 liters on a table. Excruciating.

Dad’s niece’s wedding in Wisconsin even worse. Small church wedding lasted 2 hours, reception in one of those old barns converted into an event space. I will say the barn was a nice venue, but no dinner, just dessert. So all the wedding guests had to go out to eat on their own between the wedding and reception or eat cupcakes for dinner. No music, just classical crap in the background. No alcohol. Over by 9.

What made the second one so particularly egregious was that the bride’s mother, who my uncle had divorced years earlier, is a millionaire due to substantial inheritances. But she was so stingy she wouldn’t even give her own daughter a decent wedding. She planned everything.

The Alabama aunt and uncle are dirt poor, so that at least somewhat explains the bleakness of that wedding.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
The real purpose of ugly strapless dresses that all look alike: show the audience what she looks like with a white towel on after a shower.
You must buy some fancy towels if you think a bath towel and a wedding dress look similiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings