Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM

258 posts, read 234,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We sent out our "invites" via FB messenger app.

Granted, our wedding was parents/siblings only and meant to be simple ceremony/dinner. Certainly not sending out fancy invites for that. Defeats the purpose of "less fluff" which is what we were trying to do.

If that violates some sort of etiquette protocol....oh well. Our day was perfect in our eyes.

What if someone isn't on facebook??
Does it make them not worthy of your friendship?

I'm not on facebook, by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 02:14 PM

258 posts, read 234,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettygreeneyes View Post
I swear. Etiquette is just out the doors these days. I was so dumbfounded I didn't know how to respond.

Have you been received a text message wedding invite? Did you acknowledge it?

No, I haven't. But I wonder, is the couple hard-up for money? Perhaps they can't afford invites. If they are friends/relatives you care about, it doesn't matter.

Worst I've had is an invite that said children weren't allowed, and also asked for only monetary gifts.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:40 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post

If someone's not on FB, I'd want to give them a high five. I can't stand FB at all.

Our wedding was 17 people. My parents aren't on FB. For that small of a wedding, communication wasn't a big issue. My parents don't have FB, so we called them to ask if day/time would work.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:28 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:

Then you call them or send an e-vite or text... there's lots of ways vs FB.

I think that invitations are charming and old fashioned. And when I get one, I look at it, enter it into my calendar or send regrets and then throw it away.

That's a lot of money tossed into the recycling bin.

Or time. I know someone who hand made her invitations....went into the same place. Lots of money and time, right into the recycle bin.

Give me an e-vite any day.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 PM

166 posts, read 244,348 times
Update
Wedding postponed. Time and date to be announced later.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:00 PM

894 posts, read 586,815 times
Quote:
I swear. Etiquette is just out the doors these days. I was so dumbfounded I didn't know how to respond.

That is so tacky that it's making me laugh.

It also reminds me of another tacky wedding invite: years ago, a co-worker was getting married & put 1 general wedding invitation in the break room for whoever wanted to show up. Ugh! I still can't believe she did that.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:08 PM

894 posts, read 586,815 times
Quote:
No, I haven't. But I wonder, is the couple hard-up for money? Perhaps they can't afford invites. If they are friends/relatives you care about, it doesn't matter.

Worst I've had is an invite that said children weren't allowed, and also asked for only monetary gifts.
I don't see a problem if people's invitations specify "adults only." However, I fully agree that requesting monetary gifts is tacky.

I knew a couple who married when they were somewhere around middle-age and their wedding invitations specified that guests were to only give monetary gifts.

On 1 hand, I understood that since each of them had been single for many years, they didn't need gifts since they already had stuff they needed like toasters, blenders, etc. However, on the other hand, to ask for money in the invitation seemed in poor taste. I can't really explain why.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:11 PM

166 posts, read 244,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckWife518 View Post
That is so tacky that it's making me laugh.

It also reminds me of another tacky wedding invite: years ago, a co-worker was getting married & put 1 general wedding invitation in the break room for whoever wanted to show up. Ugh! I still can't believe she did that.
I've seen that done too. Lol

Old 11-23-2016, 01:08 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times
Quote:

Actually, it seems like a pretty good idea to me. Wish we had thought of it.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
OP, obviously they know you well enough that you had them in your phone contacts list.

I wouldn't call it tacky so much as progressive. RSVP by mail if you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings