Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:03 AM

23 posts, read 32,680 times

Advertisements

I have not seen this issue before. I had 4 best girlfriends of many years. One of them came to my bridal shower, but none of them came to my wedding. All of their husbands showed up though. They knew about my wedding date for 8 months. When I saw them after the wedding, they never mentioned a single thing about my wedding, or why they decided not to come. Just acted like I never got married, and my husband just appeared out of thin air.

My wedding was local, about 10 miles from where we lived. My girlfriends and I were not on bad terms, that I was aware of. I was the Maid of Honor at one of their weddings, I made another girlfriends wedding dress, and 2 of those friends had been friends since Jr. High School. I had only one bridesmaid, who was my cousin.

I knew my husband for 3 years and we all got together all the time with my best girlfriends and their husbands, so he was not a stranger.

When I asked them why they did not come, 1 said she got into an argument with her husband, 1 said nothing, 1 said she could not get time off of work as a waitress, and one said she decided to go out of town at the last minute. Like I said, all their husbands did come to my wedding. Nobody ever mentioned anything negative and as far as I knew, nobody was mad at me, or they did not act like they were.

I am not real happy with them, and I do not understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 10:08 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Wow. Do they disapprove of your husband? Did they expect to be part of the bridal party? Are they jealous?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM

As far as I knew they did not disapprove of my husband as they included him in all our dinners and parties before the wedding and never said anything to me about that. And they knew I was only going to have one maid of honor as we were all somewhat poor. As for the jealousy thing, I do wonder about that.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:59 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
I am sorry this is happening to you.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 AM

Thanks Photobuff42.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 884,760 times
Interesting.....move on. Find new friends.
Mae

Old 03-26-2017, 04:08 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand1958 View Post
As for the jealousy thing, I do wonder about that.
What do you think they are jealous of?

Had they RSVP'd yes? When they didn't show up, did you ask their husbands the reason? What did they say?

Old 03-26-2017, 04:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Wow. Do they disapprove of your husband? Did they expect to be part of the bridal party? Are they jealous?
Wow. That sucks. The above are all thing I was thinking as well.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What do you think they are jealous of?

Had they RSVP'd yes? When they didn't show up, did you ask their husbands the reason? What did they say?
I can not imagine what they could be jealous of. They all have better jobs, more money, nicer homes. I did ask two husbands where their wives were. One said that was a good question, but did not give me a real answer. The other one said she was supposed to be coming. And I really didn't ask the other two as I had about 35 other guests, mostly family, that were hanging out with me doing wedding stuff like dancing with me and making toasts.

Their husbands were all happy for me and everything. I actually knew 2 of my girlfriends husbands before they married my girlfriends--which is how I met them.

My girlfriends never did send an RSVP, but did say they would be there. We were pretty close (or so I thought) and we talked several times a week, did girl night and did all kinds of girl stuff together.

My mother made food like potato salad, ham, cheese, salad, so I really didn't need an RSVP for the food thing.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:37 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I find it very odd their husbands went and they didn't. I would find new friends. I am so sorry they did this to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings