Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The inflated appraisals don't help matters either. They almost always come back at a value higher than what someone pays for a ring, but the reality is if they went to sell the ring, they probably would only get a fraction of the original value.

When I had my wife's ring appraised, I knew it would come back inflated, and sure as hell came back at a value 4X of what I paid. All that really means is I pay a higher premium on my home insurance for a ring I probably couldn't sell for half of what I paid.

BUT, despite my distaste for the industry, I do love the ring I got for my wife, and the compliments she gets on it. I guess ultimately that's all the matters. I even find myself taking it to be cleaned for her as I really did love the look of it.

For myself...$99 black tungsten carbide ring from online retailer. Even bought 2 in case I lose/break one. I really do like the style/look of the ring. It's monetary value is not important.
Appraisals aren't inflated. They are meant for insurance purposes. The appraisal on my ring is for retail, what it would cost me to replace my ring with an exact replica.

Jewelry costs are inflated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 09:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Appraisals aren't inflated. They are meant for insurance purposes. The appraisal on my ring is for retail, what it would cost me to replace my ring with an exact replica.

Jewelry costs are inflated.
Yup. I got my valuation back the other day (insurance company wanted an update, as mine was 7 years old) and it's 1900 higher than it was when I got it, but that's only about 10% of the overall price, so I think that retail prices have gone up about 10% since 2010.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
I have several inherited diamond rings. But my favorite isn't a diamond at all. It is a gem, stone, whatever called moissanite. It looks like a diamond, much better than cubic zirconia in my opinion. No one can tell the difference. It can be bought at a fraction of the cost of a diamond.

Here's the trick.....go to a high quality jeweler (not a mall, chain jewlery store). Go to a jewelry store with a stellar reputation that has been in business for years.

Order the mossanite stone from them and have this jewelry store set in an expensive platinum or 18k gold setting. You will still save thousands of dollars.

That said, I've been married 36 years and have never understood the expensive engagement ring tradition. Why not put that money to pay down other debts or save for a house? In the end, I always just wear my plain gold band.

Also, I recently read an article in the WSJ (I think) that diamonds are depreciating in value, the diamond engagement ring isn't as popular as it once was. Don't know if that is true or not.

Here's a link to a mossanite site. Do not order rings off of these sites. This is just to give you an idea. Remember, high quality setting and stellar jewelry store.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/news/...te-vs-diamond/

Old 05-12-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
I have several inherited diamond rings. But my favorite isn't a diamond at all. It is a gem, stone, whatever called moissanite. It looks like a diamond, much better than cubic zirconia in my opinion. No one can tell the difference. It can be bought at a fraction of the cost of a diamond.

Here's the trick.....go to a high quality jeweler (not a mall, chain jewlery store). Go to a jewelry store with a stellar reputation that has been in business for years.

Order the mossanite stone from them and have this jewelry store set in an expensive platinum or 18k gold setting. You will still save thousands of dollars.

That said, I've been married 36 years and have never understood the expensive engagement ring tradition. Why not put that money to pay down other debts or save for a house? In the end, I always just wear my plain gold band.

Also, I recently read an article in the WSJ (I think) that diamonds are depreciating in value, the diamond engagement ring isn't as popular as it once was. Don't know if that is true or not.

Here's a link to a mossanite site. Do not order rings off of these sites. This is just to give you an idea. Remember, high quality setting and stellar jewelry store.

https://www.brilliantearth.com/news/...te-vs-diamond/
Most people can't tell the difference. I can. Saying that...the ring I posted, my favorite band that I wear all the time?

Amora gems. Cost was a factor when I chose them because the design required pears and pears were really expensive at the time. Amora gems are higher color moissanites. Moissanites are in the H-J color range and Amora's are in the D-F.

My complaints with moissanites is they seem to film very easily, then it's sparkle diminishes a lot. I deep clean that ring weekly, by heating up a small bowl of water with dishwashing liquid like Dawn in the microwave, and then soaking it for 10 minutes. After a soak, I use an old toothbrush to scrub it, and rinse.

I trust my jeweler and he says that moissanites are life long stones, unlike cubic zirconias which will frost after a few years.

I'm with you on spending tons of money on an engagement ring. But, the fashion right now is large stones. Back when we got engaged, a half carat was very common. In fact my diamond isn't quite 3/4 carat...and to me, it's huge!

Old 05-13-2017, 07:37 AM

993 posts, read 766,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Most people can't tell the difference. I can. Saying that...the ring I posted, my favorite band that I wear all the time?

Amora gems. Cost was a factor when I chose them because the design required pears and pears were really expensive at the time. Amora gems are higher color moissanites. Moissanites are in the H-J color range and Amora's are in the D-F.

My complaints with moissanites is they seem to film very easily, then it's sparkle diminishes a lot. I deep clean that ring weekly, by heating up a small bowl of water with dishwashing liquid like Dawn in the microwave, and then soaking it for 10 minutes. After a soak, I use an old toothbrush to scrub it, and rinse.

I trust my jeweler and he says that moissanites are life long stones, unlike cubic zirconias which will frost after a few years.

I'm with you on spending tons of money on an engagement ring. But, the fashion right now is large stones. Back when we got engaged, a half carat was very common. In fact my diamond isn't quite 3/4 carat...and to me, it's huge!
I've never heard of Amora gems and I'll keep it in mind. My moissanite ring is large....An oval, 1 carat I think with small pears horizontally. While I like it, I rarely wear it because I don't like large rings I discovered

I really like your band. I have several old diamonds from 1930s brooches, earrings, etc. I've been thinking about having a band made with those. But I love the design of yours and maybe I'll look into amora gems. Design a smal band of amora that I can wear comfortably with my plain gold wedding band.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:47 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks a lot so far guys! I seem to like the ones called the HALO style rings.

No, unfortunately, my fiance' or I don't "know any guys", ha!

I have no problem going to Costco or Sam's...as long as it's good quality for a good price.

BIG QUESTION: I personally don't care for the, I guess, typical engagement ring-part that has the one diamond stone & then the other part the woman wears when they get married...the other band, in which the engagement ring part fits into. I just don't care for wearing 2 or 3 "bands" forever. I want my ring to have the nice diamond, of course", but only ONE band, but with more embellishment diamonds than just a simple metal band & one, big stone.

Stores have that, right? What kind of ring is that called that I want? All I see are either what's called "engagement rings" w/ the one, big stone and then the "wedding ring or band", which is the other band to wear WITH the engagement ring.

Thanks a lot for this info!
I do not recommend halo style rings. First of all, everyone has one, and most ladies want something that stands out and looks unique. But more importantly, those tiny little diamonds have the nasty habit of falling out, again, and again, and again. They are just too tiny to remain secure. This is especially true if you have to size your ring down. I had that problem when I ordered it and got my ring sized from the stock 7 to a 4 1/2. After 4 of the diamonds popped out, I ordered a traditional prong set ring and had no more problems.

When I divorced and remarried, I wanted something really special to commemorate finding the right person. Personally I think diamonds are overpriced and overrated, so I got a custom natural white sapphire solitaire with a patented rose cut from Etsy, then had an independent jeweler put it in a cathedral setting here at home. I got a matching channel set diamond band, but only because it was on sale, then had them soldered together. It's very unique, more economical than all diamonds, and I have gotten many compliments on it.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:04 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
OP back. Thanks again guys.

It's going to be a job just to find the independently-owned jewelry stores in my area! Thinking off the top of my head, I never noticed any when I'm out & about. They're all chains.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
OP back. Thanks again guys.

It's going to be a job just to find the independently-owned jewelry stores in my area! Thinking off the top of my head, I never noticed any when I'm out & about. They're all chains.

You're near Redlands? Van Craeynest is there. They used to be in SF, and their work is gorgeous. And well done. Not cheap. This ring will last a lifetime.

Van Craeynest

Last edited by Tallysmom; 05-13-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I never had a reason to go to Redlands, but looking up the directions on mapquest, it seems to be about 30 min, so good! Thanks!

I'm more in the Ontario, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga areas.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I never had a reason to go to Redlands, but looking up the directions on mapquest, it seems to be about 30 min, so good! Thanks!

I'm more in the Ontario, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga areas.
It's easy to google jewelers...the new way you let your fingers do the walking. Just looking at the websites of these places you can see who makes jewelry and who only sells it. Then just read reviews. The negatives read well...the expectations of the reviewer may be off.

Just read one for a pizza place, where the woman went on and on about the person who made the pizza touched her face!! How gross and disgusting....and at the end of the rant said, well she did wash her hands right after so it didn't really matter....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings