Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

At what point in your relationship did you decide you will be getting engaged?
When did the ring appear after this decision?
Did you both have an input on what kind of ring you will get?
Did you consider you will both own the cost of the ring, if you needed to take out a loan?
Did you talk about how much you will spend for the ring and whether it will have to be a diamond?
Did you shop for it together?
What was the surprise element when the proposal was finally made?
What was the length of time before the wedding took place?
Did you ever have to get/give the ring back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 02:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Did you consider you will both own the cost of the ring, if you needed to take out a loan?
Did you talk about how much you will spend for the ring and whether it will have to be a diamond?
We did not *get engaged* we just got married.
Yes.
No.
Yes but paid cash *we did not feel the need to take out a loan for wedding rings*
No.
No.
No actual proposal, I told Mr. CSD to show up at specified time/place/date or die.
3 months.
No.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 PM

83 posts, read 114,100 times
Mine is not the traditional situation.

We got engaged 9 years after we initially started dating (there was a three year period in the time frame that we were not together though), we had talked about it for about 2 years before actually getting engaged.

He knew that I didn't want a traditional diamond ring and that I liked the idea of a claddagh ring as an engagement and wedding ring. He picked out the ring without my knowledge.

My ring was not expensive enough to worry about cost and ownership, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred dollars.

He knew that I did not care about cost and would rather be frugal. He actually cared more about spending on a nice ring than I did.

We never looked at rings together.

I knew it was potentially coming because he asked for my ring size and he said he was going to be married to me within the year. The actual proposal was a surprise and very sweet.

Wedding within 3 months of the proposal.

I don't anticipate ever splitting up, but if we did, my ring isn't really valuable enough to make an issue of returning it.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
The ring anxiety starts to be now completely out of proportion...

Discussed here ad nauseum. Why don't you check the previous threads?

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ngagement.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ng-factor.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...ere-begin.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...prominent.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-marriage.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...cost-ring.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...-much-did.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...ink-about.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...ding-ring.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ment-ring.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...-clueless.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...ment-ring.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...p-upgrade.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...questions.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...ing-whats.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ise-rings.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/weddi...t-diamond.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ment-ring.html

+ few dozens more.....

Last edited by elnina; 05-18-2017 at 03:27 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 03:14 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 247crw View Post
Mine is not the traditional situation.

We got engaged 9 years after we initially started dating (there was a three year period in the time frame that we were not together though), we had talked about it for about 2 years before actually getting engaged.

He knew that I didn't want a traditional diamond ring and that I liked the idea of a claddagh ring as an engagement and wedding ring. He picked out the ring without my knowledge.

My ring was not expensive enough to worry about cost and ownership, it couldn't have been more than a couple hundred dollars.

He knew that I did not care about cost and would rather be frugal. He actually cared more about spending on a nice ring than I did.

We never looked at rings together.

I knew it was potentially coming because he asked for my ring size and he said he was going to be married to me within the year. The actual proposal was a surprise and very sweet.

Wedding within 3 months of the proposal.

I don't anticipate ever splitting up, but if we did, my ring isn't really valuable enough to make an issue of returning it.
Very sweet. thank you for sharing.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
We were together for about four months when we both came to the realization that we were looking toward a serious future together. Which isn't the same thing as deciding you will be getting engaged, necessarily. We talked a lot about getting married, but never really a time frame. Things solidified for both of us at this point, because I had a serious health scare, and pulled him aside in the parking lot of the hospital and told him that I didn't want him to feel tied to me if the news was bad; that I didn't expect somebody to sign on for bedside vigils, etc. with somebody he'd just started dating a few months earlier, and that if he wasn't up for it, I understood. The next day, I came home to flowers, and a card that said, "I'm up for this. Life without you in it is unimagineable for me." I would say that was the "Not just a casual relationship" turning point for him, and it def. was for me.

Quote:
We got engaged about five months later.

Quote:
He knew my tastes. But I had no interest in picking out a ring, or necessarily even getting one. It wasn't a must-have. I did not go with him and select a ring. He purchased it without my knowledge. It's thoughtful (very) and beautiful, but it wasn't required. He chose to do it.

Quote:
There was no way anybody was taking out a loan for a piece of commemorative jewelry. Simply not necessary.

Quote:
Not at all. He knew I didn't care one way or another about a ring. We are both practical, frugal people, and a costly ring was not a priority at all. Diamond or no diamond didn't matter. He ended up choosing a three-stone setting flanked by four channel set chips on either side. It's fairly low-profile, because I was working with children at the time, and didn't want to scratch them with jewelry. I thought that was thoughtful. It's a beautiful ring. I didn't expect it, though.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
I had just moved from my apartment to his house. We had been unpacking for a couple of days, and on the third night, he was like, "Let's take a break and go to [my favorite cafe]." It was where we had our first date. He did it there. It wasn't a surprise that we got engaged, as we'd discussed getting married and knew we were moving that way. It was a surprise that it happened that night, in that place, in that way. I didn't know when getting ready to go get coffee that there was going to be a proposal, but it wasn't out of nowhere, either. He had given my family the head's up it was happening. Not "asking for permission" (we were 36 and 40), but a courtesy call.

Quote:
We got engaged in August and our wedding was in January. So, five months.

Quote:
No.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:

We had been dating about 6 to 9 months I think, when he proposed. A good friend of his had died, and it made him think about how life is short, didn't want to waste time, etc.

Yes. we talked about what I wanted, and actually, used my old engagement ring, but upgraded and changed the center stone.

No. He basically, paid for the center stone, and having it reset and resized.

Yes. We talked about what he thought was a reasonable price was, and I was not disappointed.

We got married a little bit more than a year after we got engaged.

We're still married, and my ring got upgraded again. LOL

Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Funny how despite the advancement of equality in today's society, most women still expect men to get down on one knee, extract the black velvet box from their pocket with perfect precision, and to experience that magical Cinderella moment.... lol

Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Funny how despite the advancement of equality in today's society, most women still expect men to get down on one knee, extract the black velvet box from their pocket with perfect precision, and to experience that magical Cinderella moment.... lol
Makes you shake your head and wonder about some of the things written here huh?

Good to see you elnina.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:13 PM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, men expect us to go down on our knees for them all the time, so he can as well do it once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings