Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:14 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I'd stick with the tried and true--some champagne, glasses, sparkling water for non-drinkers, some fine chocolates and perhaps some nuts or something similar. Lush towels, fine linens, and cozy bathrobes would be a bonus if not provided currently.

Keep it classy, OP.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:24 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
I'm glad I asked.

I wasn't expecting that people might be upset by fuzzy handcuffs included in a gift basket, especially if they were brand new. People are really uptight these days.

Like I said, the folks we're catering to are more alternative lifestyle bohemians rather than middle American white bread. It would have cracked us up to find something silly sexy in our gift basket.

What do I know? We won't even assume marriages are even consummated, the way some folks act.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
I don't think anyone was upset or uptight.

I think people were giving you honest answers from a business standpoint.

You asked after all. If you only wanted positive responses it's good to mention that ahead of time.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't think anyone was upset or uptight.

I think people were giving you honest answers from a business standpoint.

You asked after all. If you only wanted positive responses it's good to mention that ahead of time.
No, it's fine. I'm just surprised.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Like I said, the folks we're catering to are more alternative lifestyle bohemians rather than middle American white bread. It would have cracked us up to find something silly sexy in our gift basket.
1) How do you know you're ONLY going to get "alternative lifestyle bohemians"? I mean ... is that guaranteed? If he's going to operate a business, he will advertise, and he won't always know the sexual proclivities of his clientele.

2) I live in the Mid-South, or what many cast off as "middle America," but I'm far from white bread or a prude. I just prefer to choose my own sex accessories and don't expect that kind of thing to be hinted at or suggested by the owner of a business I'm dealing with. There are hotels that specifically advertise erotic features, so it would be a little strange to see something unexpected at a place that didn't even hint at it.

IDK he could try it and see what kind of feedback he gets, but you've already done one sample size and been surprised by the results. It's the kind of risk business owners deal with every day.

If it's not something that's necessary to the business model, though, why take a chance on negative reviews that could tarnish an otherwise stellar experience?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
1) How do you know you're ONLY going to get "alternative lifestyle bohemians"? I mean ... is that guaranteed? If he's going to operate a business, he will advertise, and he won't always know the sexual proclivities of his clientele.

2) I live in the Mid-South, or what many cast off as "middle America," but I'm far from white bread or a prude. I just prefer to choose my own sex accessories and don't expect that kind of thing to be hinted at or suggested by the owner of a business I'm dealing with. There are hotels that specifically advertise erotic features, so it would be a little strange to see something unexpected at a place that didn't even hint at it.

IDK he could try it and see what kind of feedback he gets, but you've already done one sample size and been surprised by the results. It's the kind of risk business owners deal with every day.

If it's not something that's necessary to the business model, though, why take a chance on negative reviews that could tarnish an otherwise stellar experience?
This is why I asked. It was my idea, LOL. I have the greatest respect for your opinion and know you, of all of the respondents, "got" it.

But yeah, I was expecting several great and amusing ideas.

Since it's not necessary, then we don't need to do anything more.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:05 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Sorry, but even anything mildly kinky or sexy would kind of gross me out. I would wonder if they were used previously. I'm also fairly certain that the newly married couple is quite able to provide anything like that themselves if they wish.

I'd stick with the tried and true--some champagne, glasses, sparkling water for non-drinkers, some fine chocolates and perhaps some nuts or something similar. Lush towels, fine linens, and cozy bathrobes would be a bonus if not provided currently.
I agree. I would not expect sex toys, unless it had been advertised, it makes it seem sleazy, no matter how good the intent.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:26 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Totally agree with all of this, and it's why I suggested only going with it if you're specifically catering to that crowd.

If you do decide to provide handcuffs, make sure you also provide a bed that'll accomodate them.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:59 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I'm glad I asked.

I wasn't expecting that people might be upset by fuzzy handcuffs included in a gift basket, especially if they were brand new. People are really uptight these days.

What do I know? We won't even assume marriages are even consummated, the way some folks act.

You asked. People answered.

You can always do whatever you want, and all the rest of us fuddy duddies can jump in the lake if that's what you want.

Maybe all your alternative-lifestyle and bohemian friends will think it's an awesome idea. Try it and see.

But maybe not get so defensive and insulting when you ask for advice, and then you get it.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
But maybe not get so defensive and insulting when you ask for advice, and then you get it.
Yep. And I'd add that "lovely country house" is fairly dissonant with "fuzzy handcuffs," and most of us replied accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings