Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 06:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
well, that's pretty much the definition of planning a wedding, regardless of the age of the bride.

I think most people feel that a more mature bride is generally going to be more flexible in terms of things like bridesmaid dresses but the reality remains that it's still the bride's decision on how they want the wedding to be.
I feel the same way. I married in my late 30s and got tired of people expecting me to do my wedding differently, simply based on my age. Some people thought I shouldn't have a wedding at all; or that I shouldn't register or wear a white gown, or do this or do that. There's no rule that says traditional wedding etiquette is just for people in their 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 03:57 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
Is being a bridesmaid about standing up and honoring your friend or about looking pretty in a stylish dress?

I can't imagine being friends with someone enough that I would agree to stand up with them at their wedding and not understand that this is their special day and they get to decide how things will be.

The fact that the dress doesn't fit is something else entirely. Obviously, you need to get another size. The only reason I could see the bride having to change her chosen dress is if it does not come in the OP's size.

This probably seems harsher than I intend it to be. It just surprises me that someone would put looking stylish over their dear friend's wedding day dreams.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:50 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Is being a bridesmaid about standing up and honoring your friend or about looking pretty in a stylish dress?

I can't imagine being friends with someone enough that I would agree to stand up with them at their wedding and not understand that this is their special day and they get to decide how things will be.

The fact that the dress doesn't fit is something else entirely. Obviously, you need to get another size. The only reason I could see the bride having to change her chosen dress is if it does not come in the OP's size.

This probably seems harsher than I intend it to be. It just surprises me that someone would put looking stylish over their dear friend's wedding day dreams.
A dress that's so mis-sized it can't zip up is a bit more than un-stylish.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:44 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:

Why can't a bridesmaid look nice at the same time as honouring her friend? Why would a bride's dream be to buy an ugly and ill-fitting dress for her friend without asking her measurements or having her try on the dress? It's kind of unbelievable.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:27 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Why can't a bridesmaid look nice at the same time as honouring her friend? Why would a bride's dream be to buy an ugly and ill-fitting dress for her friend without asking her measurements or having her try on the dress? It's kind of unbelievable.
Ill-fitting is of course inappropriate.

But ugly is subjective. Presumably the bride who chose the dress does not consider it ugly even if the OP does.

Unfortunately, the OP has not returned since she started the thread to clarify anything.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:55 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I separated the ill-fitting issue out of the other comments. Of course a bride shouldn't expect her friend to FIT in whatever dress she buys and sends her. That's ridiculous.

But like emm74 said, ugly is subjective. If the bride truly loves this dress and wants it next to her in pictures of the day she will remember forever, then why would a close friend insult her by saying, "No way I'm wearing that hideous thing!"

(Yes, I realize the OP did not actually say that. I hope. You get the point.)

Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
You're both grown women. I'm really surprised the 2 of you didn't shop together to find a dress you both liked. Do one of you live out of town, and so you couldn't shop together? Or is she just arbitrary that way?
Or better yet, have the dress MADE so it will fit the OP exactly. I was a bridesmaid when my brother got married, and all the dresses were made to order, not bought.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:45 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Bring a change of clothes, and change immediately after the ceremony.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-27-2017, 03:14 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I feel the same way. I married in my late 30s and got tired of people expecting me to do my wedding differently, simply based on my age. Some people thought I shouldn't have a wedding at all; or that I shouldn't register or wear a white gown, or do this or do that. There's no rule that says traditional wedding etiquette is just for people in their 20s.
That is amazing that people reacted that way to your marriage in your late 30s. I hope you ignored all those judgmental people. They are out of touch with the reality of weddings today.

Practically every wedding I have been to recently had both the bride and groom in their 30s and these were first marriages. It is very common these days for people to finish their educations and get a good start in their careers before marriage.

OP, you should not have to wear a dress that does not fit or even zip up. Tell the bride the dress cannot be altered or remade within the time frame, choose others and send photos. If she insists on the first dress, firmly tell her it is impossible for you but perhaps someone else she knows that size can be the matron of honor if that particular dress is so important to her.

I draw the line at being bullied into a very uncomfortable situation by a bride whether it is "her" day or not (actually I find that whole concept of the Princess Bridezilla kind of nauseating - my way or off with their heads!).

Old 01-02-2018, 12:10 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:

There's a big difference between not looking stylish and looking ridiculous. Which a too small dress will do.

And to those who say it will be obvious that the bride picked the dress. Sure but bridesmaids are responsible for making sure they order the right size. So if the dress is obviously too small and reconfigured it makes the OP look foolish
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings