Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,868 times

Advertisements

I’m a bit of a OC person when it comes to occasions, and my plan to propose to my girlfriend is certainly going to be a special one. I like to think of myself as a romantic type of man but I always have a hard time in figuring out what women typically like in terms of material things. I need some advice from the ladies out here if I should get a white gold or classic gold ring for my proposal? I’d like to note that my gf and I met through a meet foreign tour in Thailand and I hear that their gold can be a little different than the gold found here in the States. I wanted to surprise her with white gold but classic gold is always a safe option. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 07:10 PM

11,809 posts, read 12,047,935 times
The relevance of where you met and type of gold?

This is not a question anyone else can answer on behalf of your GF. You should know her tastes to know what she'd like.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:42 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,086,286 times
Definitely white gold. It will go well with a diamond, as well as, her skin tone.

Platinum would be the ultimate, but then you want at least a 3 carat quality stone.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,652 posts, read 18,006,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Definitely white gold. It will go well with a diamond, as well as, her skin tone.

Platinum would be the ultimate, but then you want at least a 3 carat quality stone.
Are you kidding? A 3 carat quality stone? We don't have any idea what the OP's budget is.

OP, if you really don't know what she'd like, I'd suggest proposing to her with a cute little glass ring in a box, and a promise to go ring shopping for the ring of her dreams. And discuss a budget, together, before you go shopping. Because to have a long term marriage, you have to work together.

There is a current statistic - the bigger the stone, the quicker the divorce. Couples who can come together and agree on a reasonable ring tend to stay together longer - men who buy the most expensive ring for their future bride tend to have the least long term success.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-05-2018 at 08:38 PM..

Old 03-05-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
The relevance of where you met and type of gold?

This is not a question anyone else can answer on behalf of your GF. You should know her tastes to know what she'd like.
I noted that to emphasize the fact that we met in Thailand. Sorry if that part bothered you. Thought it was an important detail to know. Just wanna get things right. Anyway, I already have a choice in mind but it's always best to hear opinions before deciding on something permanent like a RING. Thanks though.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

that actually sounds lovely. getting a platinum ring would be a unique twist than the usual gold fad most people would choose for wedding rings but I can never be too sure if the she'd prefer that type of ring. She's kind of a traditional type of woman. Thank you though!

Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Are you kidding? A 3 carat quality stone? We don't have any idea what the OP's budget is.

OP, if you really don't know what she'd like, I'd suggest proposing to her with a cute little glass ring in a box, and a promise to go ring shopping for the ring of her dreams. And discuss a budget, together, before you go shopping. Because to have a long term marriage, you have to work together.

There is a current statistic - the bigger the stone, the quicker the divorce. Couples who can come together and agree on a reasonable ring tend to stay together longer - men who buy the most expensive ring for their future bride tend to have the least long term success.
Wow, I just gasped in awe with your reply. THAT SOUNDS JUST PERFECT!
Will definitely do this! This is the answer I've been looking for! Thank you so much!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,406,932 times
Take note of the color of the jewelry she currently wears - gold tone? silver tone? And then go with that.

Personally, I prefer silver tone/white gold jewelry and I prefer it all to match - meaning, I don't like to mix tones.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:47 AM

170 posts, read 121,769 times
Not to be a downer but if someone proposed with a glass ring in a box then made me PICK OUT MY OWN RING I would not be impressed. This seems quite lazy. If my fiancee doesn't know me well enough to do a decent job at picking out a ring, we are probably not ready to get married.

OP, talk to her. Observe. What kinds of things does she wear jewelry-wise? What colors? What gems? What kinds of pieces and settings? Talk to her friends and see if she has stated a preference. What is her coloring like? Does she look better in warm or cool shades? Pay attention! Go to a good jeweler and make an educated purchase with the option to return.

Sheesh.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:08 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,167,996 times
I like classic gold but I don't think its "in" at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings