Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 PM

560 posts, read 452,874 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was invited to my first wedding in June. I need to get a dress and this was one I was looking at, but my friend said it’s too white. It’s a catholic wedding so I will have to buy something to cover my arms and it’s suppose to be formal. Do you think the dress is too white? Or informal? Hopefully the image shows up! Any suggestions on dress ideas for a formal summer wedding?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 PM

11,794 posts, read 12,027,255 times
I think it's a nice dress. Just get a wrap/pashmina/shawl that picks up one of the colours in the dress. Do I see tan, or grey or violet there?

Old 04-19-2018, 03:52 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
Catholicism does not require that you cover your arms.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I think it's a nice dress. Just get a wrap/pashmina/shawl that picks up one of the colours in the dress. Do I see tan, or grey or violet there?
Yep. It has purple/grey/tan and I believe some of the grey gets to be black. Someone said because the base of the dress was white that it’s a no. I thought it had enough color/print to be okay.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Catholicism does not require that you cover your arms.
I thought your bare shoulders had to be covered up or so I was told. My mistake then.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:42 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
I thought your bare shoulders had to be covered up or so I was told. My mistake then.
No, not at all. Catholicism dictates nothing about attire. Feel free to rock that sleeveless dress!

Old 04-19-2018, 08:43 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Your shoulders don't have to be covered up, but for a wedding in a church it's often good form to have a pashmina or cardigan on hand anyway. At my niece's wedding I was sitting behind one of her friends thinking, "that's what you wore to a daytime wedding at a Catholic church?" (For the record, the young lady in question was wearing a strapless black dress with sheer midriff panels.)

That's also a good question--what time of day is the ceremony? Evening weddings are often more formal than daytime services.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Your shoulders don't have to be covered up, but for a wedding in a church it's often good form to have a pashmina or cardigan on hand anyway. At my niece's wedding I was sitting behind one of her friends thinking, "that's what you wore to a daytime wedding at a Catholic church?" (For the record, the young lady in question was wearing a strapless black dress with sheer midriff panels.)

That's also a good question--what time of day is the ceremony? Evening weddings are often more formal than daytime services.
It is in a church. It starts around 2 and then the reception for the wedding is in the evening at a fancy new hotel. The invite says formal. I just want to make sure I look appropriate for the wedding.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:18 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
I think that's a very pretty dress, and definitely not too white to wear to a wedding.

However, I would not call that a formal dress, if there is really a formal dress code for the wedding. This is a good description of the various wedding dress codes

https://www.brides.com/story/wedding...code-explained

As far as needing a cover up for church. I'm not Catholic but my understanding is that it's a unwritten rule to not have bare shoulders in church - so anything strappy, or strapless, spaghetti straps, etc., you may want to have some sort of jacket or wrap for your arms and shoulders. And honestly, I think it's good to have anyway, in case they have the A/C blasting and you get cold - that could happen at the reception too, where there is no problem with bare shoulders and arms.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think that's a very pretty dress, and definitely not too white to wear to a wedding.

However, I would not call that a formal dress, if there is really a formal dress code for the wedding. This is a good description of the various wedding dress codes

https://www.brides.com/story/wedding...code-explained

As far as needing a cover up for church. I'm not Catholic but my understanding is that it's a unwritten rule to not have bare shoulders in church - so anything strappy, or strapless, spaghetti straps, etc., you may want to have some sort of jacket or wrap for your arms and shoulders. And honestly, I think it's good to have anyway, in case they have the A/C blasting and you get cold - that could happen at the reception too, where there is no problem with bare shoulders and arms.
Thank you. I’ve never been to a wedding. I don’t really wear dresses or go to event where formal dresses are needed. I am having a hard time finding something that is “formal” and that I like it fits well without needing to be altered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings