Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,860 times

Advertisements

Saturday May 10th 2008

I will be hosting a wedding on my property for some friends.
This will be a very "simple" event.
Ceremony and Reception will be held outside.
We are hoping to keep it on the inexpensive side.
We would like to make a lot of the decorations ourselves.

Music is taken care of
Food- Need ideas for some "country style" finger foods. Already plan on cooking some Boston Butts.

I will post pictures of the location for the ceremony in the very near future. It is a "wooded" area.

I am thinking of making flowers out of tissue paper. They will be place on the ground through out the trees. Also need to create some kind of aisle.

This will be just short of your typical "Redneck Wedding" if possible.
There will be NO decorations make of beer cans or animal carcasses !

Any one have any ideas on creating nice decoration from scratch ?

All help will be greatly appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,509 times
Smile Sounds fun...a lot of work...but fun!

tulle is great for weddings. You can bunch it up or make bows...or use it to create an aisle to walk down. Maybe use some sticks in the ground & then tie the tulle then drape it to the next stick. Put tissue paper flowers & tulle riboons on each stick. It comes in small rolls & also big sheets...usually inexpensive at party or craft stores. FavorFrenzy.com: TULLE SPOOLS, 12" X 25YDS TULLE (http://www.favorfrenzy.com/products.asp?cat=242 - broken link)

What about balloons? If you rent a hellium tank & buy the balloons it's usually less expensive.

I'd stick with two colors (that work together) to make it look classy on a budget. Cream and Burgundy...maybe that's too Fall like. Since it's in May ... White & Blue or is that too May pole like. Ok, maybe you need to ask the Bride & Groom what their favorite colors are.

For flower arrangements you can buy vases & baskets very inexpensively at Goodwill stores. You can probably also get glasses to hold votive candles too. Again if they are all different it adds to the charm, but I'd stick with the same color or similar glass or basket color. Also, if you can't find flowers in bulk that are cheap enough then fruit is a fun alternative. It may sound weird...but a basket of oranges is pretty...now you don't want it to look like the Chiquita banana hat...so stick with certain colors and limited fruit...like all green apples & pears...but all one fruit in one container. You can also stick fruit onto foam cones with skewers (cut short so they don't show) to make topiaries. Terra cotta pots are cheap...tie some tule around the pot in a bow.

This sounds fun! Can I come help?! Too bad I'm so far away from the boonies!

Old 03-12-2008, 12:37 PM

Please come !!!!!

It is her 3rd marriage and his 1st.
Colors are going to be Royal Blue and White.

I am thinking, even if I have to drive to Jacksonville, on doing balloon arches and other balloon decorations.

Also, I am thinking of making the aisle out of pine needles on the ground outlines by some sort of paper flowers (Royal Blue and White) or balloons. I am thinking that I want the outline off the ground.

I am going to take pictures of the area and do some drawings and post them.

Please keep the ideas coming !

Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Karla with a K might have some ideas. She's into this sort of thing I think.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
is the wedding/reception in the daytime or evening? you could certainly use centerpieces with candles for late afternoon and evening.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggaBoo2 View Post
tulle is great for weddings. You can bunch it up or make bows...or use it to create an aisle to walk down. Maybe use some sticks in the ground & then tie the tulle then drape it to the next stick. Put tissue paper flowers & tulle riboons on each stick. It comes in small rolls & also big sheets...usually inexpensive at party or craft stores. FavorFrenzy.com: TULLE SPOOLS, 12" X 25YDS TULLE (http://www.favorfrenzy.com/products.asp?cat=242 - broken link)

This sounds fun! Can I come help?! Too bad I'm so far away from the boonies!

This "tulle" is a type of netting ? I like that idea ! Looks like we could get creative easily with that !
Thanks BuggaBoo

Old 03-12-2008, 05:04 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
This "tulle" is a type of netting ? I like that idea ! Looks like we could get creative easily with that !
Thanks BuggaBoo
You're Welcome! It is a type of netting...it's sheer. I think most bridal veils are made with it. Some fabric stores sell it off the bolt. I usually have the small tubes in different colors, I use it as bows/ribbon on gifts.

Is it a standing wedding or are there going to be chairs? The tule is pretty wrapped around the back of the chair with it trailing to the ground. It might be a bit much on all the chairs, but maybe a select few.

Royal Blue & White will be very pretty. A balloon arch in those colors would look great!

Is it an evening wedding? White lights would be nice in some trees or bushes....if you have some Christmas lights & electricity available.

Are you making all the food yourself? Boston Butt makes me want some corn on the cob, rolls and coleslaw, lol...I'm hungry! Did you post a question for the meal suggestions on the food forum? May get some good ideas there.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggaBoo2 View Post
You're Welcome! It is a type of netting...it's sheer. I think most bridal veils are made with it. Some fabric stores sell it off the bolt. I usually have the small tubes in different colors, I use it as bows/ribbon on gifts.

Is it a standing wedding or are there going to be chairs? The tule is pretty wrapped around the back of the chair with it trailing to the ground. It might be a bit much on all the chairs, but maybe a select few.
I do believe that they will have chairs for the ceremony. I have thought about doing something with the tulle on the chairs. (great minds think alike !)
Royal Blue & White will be very pretty. A balloon arch in those colors would look great!

Is it an evening wedding? White lights would be nice in some trees or bushes....if you have some Christmas lights & electricity available.
Yes, between 5 and 6, so far.

Are you making all the food yourself? Boston Butt makes me want some corn on the cob, rolls and coleslaw, lol...I'm hungry! Did you post a question for the meal suggestions on the food forum? May get some good ideas there.
I am not cooking. It seems that I have too much of a city flare when it comes to cooking. I cook weird stuff. (lol too sophisticated for some country folks, I guess) I will probably add to their menu though. I agree with your suggestions. Most of the parties I have been too, not too many people eat. I will post in the recipe forum for some ideas. Thanks !

Old 03-12-2008, 05:50 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
I went to a wedding like this and it was very nice. It was a potluck and they had all the guests bring something to eat. It was June when around here all the wildflowers are growing so they also asked people bring any flowers from their yards or gardens. They had wildflowers all over the place and a huge long table of all kinds of food for the potluck. They ordered their cake from Safeway and it was nice but cheaper than a bakery. They could not afford a photographer so they bought a number of rolls of 35 mm film and the groom picked about 5 or 6 people he knew that were coming that took decent pictures and had 35mm cameras and asked if they'd take pics.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:23 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Don't want to be a partypooper, but if it's an outdoor wedding you might want to think of the possibility of having a tent just in case it decides to rain, always best to be prepared and it would be a good place to set up for the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings