Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 08:43 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times

Advertisements

We have been invited to a nephews post wedding party. This is my husbands brothers son. We stay in touch with the brothers' ex wife (Mom to the groom) but not the brother. The couple married on a ski hill in Colorado without family.
We haven't seen them in years.

They have planned a casual party in a local high school gymnasium (dress very casual, buffet, cash bar).
We want to go as we love our ex S-I-L.
They have requested no gifts but they want money to fund their honeymoon.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much to give? I know this is a crazy question and there is no right answer but I am just flummoxed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:18 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
That is a difficult question. But, I bet that if you really thought about it you would come up with an answer. You and hubby may think $XY is too little and $XXYY is too much, so you go with the amount in the middle.

IMHO, it also depends on your finances. If you are a retired couple living on SS it would be more difficult to give a larger amount than if you were both working with good incomes. IMHO, I always ignore what type of wedding celebration is held in deciding the amount of money to give. Some (maybe even most) people do give less money if the bride & groom have a backyard BBQ (or cake reception in a church/school hall) and more money if it is a sit down dinner in an expensive venue. I always look at my relationship to the wedding couple to decide the gift.

I have read many different responses to questions like this on CD. Appropriate monetary gifts vary so much depending on where you live in the country and the expectations of your social group. I remember one poster on CD saying that when she and her fiancé were invited to a wedding they always gave a $400 or $500 gift. She stated that the guests that attended their upcoming wedding had better give them "appropriate amounts of cash". Sheesh! My husband and I had just attended my/our nephew's wedding and I believe that we gave them $100. There is no way in heck that $400/$500 would be appropriate (in our situation/salary in the Midwest).

Please just give the amount that you feel comfortable giving. Whether that is $25, $50, $100, $200 or whatever amount I am sure that the wedding couple will greatly appreciate it.

Good luck.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-14-2018 at 07:27 AM..

Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
So basically they're not hosting a party, they're having a fundraiser -- cash bar and a request for money. Sorry, where I come from, that's tacky. I wouldn't give very much.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
We have been invited to a nephews post wedding party. This is my husbands brothers son. We stay in touch with the brothers' ex wife (Mom to the groom) but not the brother. The couple married on a ski hill in Colorado without family.

They have planned a casual party in a local high school gymnasium (dress very casual, buffet, cash bar).

Can anyone give me an idea of how much to give? I know this is a crazy question and there is no right answer but I am just flummoxed!
Give what you can easily afford , you dont socialize with them so I wouldnt go overboard.. it would be different if close family , I think too much is expected now from some couples being married and the ones who ask for money instead of a gift are downright rude..

Old 08-15-2018, 05:31 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Thank you guys for the feedback.....it is pretty much how I feel, I really like this nephew. The party may be a fund raiser for their honeymoon is this common now? Clearly, I am not in touch with this new normal.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:48 PM

1,201 posts, read 804,128 times
Quote:

That is so completely tacky I wouldn’t give anything!

Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Quote:
Thank you guys for the feedback.....it is pretty much how I feel, I really like this nephew. The party may be a fund raiser for their honeymoon is this common now? Clearly, I am not in touch with this new normal.
Just because a lot of people do it, that still doesn't make it right. Greed and living beyond your means is never cool.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
I just received a wedding invitation in the mail today. It mentions on their wedding website (not the invitation) that two weeks after the wedding they are moving into a small, furnished one bedroom apartment in (name of city in foreign country 9,000 miles away) for their jobs.

However, even in their situation they still have a wedding registry for physical gifts at all price points and no hints to give monetary gifts (except for the mention of where they will be living after the wedding). I had already planned on giving them a monetary gift but it is nice that they kept everything classy.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:07 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Just because a lot of people do it, that still doesn't make it right. Greed and living beyond your means is never cool.
certainly isnt. expecting others to pay for a honeymoon.. get a grip... I might not even go.. if invited haha.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:14 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:

Well...they ARE providing food. And are set-ups (soda) being provided? To ME it sounds like they're throwing a party. Like they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings