Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times

Advertisements

This is going to be torture.......wish i never said yes to the invite.....

and the wedding ceremony is at 2 PM...lasts an hour....then the reception doesn't start until 6 PM..leaving guests in limbo for 3 hours..then a 5 1/2 hour reception......ridiculous.....beyond rude....ugh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Where is it? Maybe there is some cool thing to see or visit while waiting? I'm with you though - I like the continuity of one following the other quickly. Then, if the reception lasts longer, it's hopefully because everyone was having a good time. Sorry you have to figure out plans - maybe just show up to the reception? I know this isn't really normal, but then, they didn't leave you a lot of options.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:42 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Yeah, where is this? In Wisconsin it was tradition for the wedding party to do a pub crawl between the wedding and reception...

Old 10-03-2018, 11:14 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

and the wedding ceremony is at 2 PM...lasts an hour....then the reception doesn't start until 6 PM..leaving guests in limbo for 3 hours..then a 5 1/2 hour reception......ridiculous.....beyond rude....ugh....
I've been to weddings where we had to wait an hour for the reception to begin while the wedding party had post-wedding photos taken. But we were able to go to the venue and enjoy appetizers and drinks while waiting.

IMO, waiting three hours is a bit ridiculous. Can I go home and change into comfy clothes? If "home" is not close by, what am I supposed to do for three hours? Can't eat or I won't be hungry for dinner. Can't drink or I'll be unconscious.

But since you did RSVP, you should definitely attend part of the reception-to watch the traditional rituals and to eat dinner. However, you don't have to stay until the end.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:15 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,470,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

TORTURE I tell you!

That schedule is not at all unusual. Nobody is forcing you to go to the reception you know. Or the wedding for that matter.

And BTW, I was invited to a 10 am bar mitzvah that lasted 2 hours (I'm not Jewish and don't know Hebrew), followed by a lunch, then a dinner and dance from 7-11 pm that night.

I went to the ceremony and lunch -- because the ceremony was the whole point of the event -- and skipped the dinner dance.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I've been to weddings where we had to wait an hour for the reception to begin while the wedding party had post-wedding photos taken. But we were able to go to the venue and enjoy appetizers and drinks while waiting.

IMO, waiting three hours is a bit ridiculous. Can I go home and change into comfy clothes? If "home" is not close by, what am I supposed to do for three hours? Can't eat or I won't be hungry for dinner. Can't drink or I'll be unconscious.

But since you did RSVP, you should definitely attend part of the reception-to watch the traditional rituals and to eat dinner. However, you don't have to stay until the end.
Makes me glad I'm out of the "going to weddings" age. Now just my kids.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
In some cultures, wedding festivities last for days. Improve your attitude, and you might end up having fun. Think about what kind of day 95% of people on the planet will be having, then see if you should actually be complaining about a wedding and reception.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:11 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
I haven't been to a wedding in ages. Do people list an end time on the invitations now?

I don't think you're obligated to attend the entire thing. But yeah, I don't like the long interval between ceremony and reception. It doesn't exactly "leave you in limbo" but you do have to find something else to do unless you live near the venue.

It might be fun, but if you've already decided it's "torture," it will be.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:38 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,121 times
Obv I use the word " torture" half kidding
But yeah the three hour delay is just poor planning whatever. I'll deal.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
We attended a family member's wedding a couple of weeks ago, with a similar lag between the ceremony and the reception. It was not the choice of the bride and groom, their church will not officiate a wedding that begins past 2:00 pm, and the reception venue wasn't available until 6. The vast majority of the guests either lived locally or were from out of town and had hotel rooms, so we all just relaxed for a couple of hours in between. I can see how it would be annoying if those options weren't available. In that case, I'd be tempted to skip the ceremony and just go to the reception, a practice I usually frown on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings