Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 02:01 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,305,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
No one wants to cook in these situations.
When it comes to couples with children, it's usually cheaper to prepare a quick meal than to eat out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
That place only has 2 bathrooms. How will that work out with a group all getting dressed for a wedding?
Frugal people, whether by choice or necessity, will figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 10:23 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,983,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My cousins son had a destination wedding in Hawaii. The Bride's family is wealthy, my cousin is on disability Medicaid, has been for years for good reasons. She was invited of course but no one offered to cover her expenses. She did not go of course. Marriage only lasted a few years.
Destination weddings sound fun but if a hardship for family members who really should be there I think they are exclusionary.
I am not surprised that the marriage only lasted a few years. Any bride and groom that do not make arrangements for the groom's mother (the groom's mother!!!!) to attend their wedding are probably too selfish, too immature, or too self-centered (or all three) to have a successful marriage.

Something similar could have happened in my extended family, too. But, the groom took a second job to save up enough money to make sure that his mother and disabled father could attend the wedding. He paid for the majority of their expenses (as otherwise they wouldn't have been able to attend).

Old 11-03-2018, 07:28 AM

4,410 posts, read 3,426,631 times
It’s Charleston, not Fiji. Not a destination wedding per se. There are cheaper hotels all around there due to lots of competition. You don’t have to go to the wedding to visit your Dad — you can see him anytime. And don’t worry about it being inconvenient for the others—that is just you projecting your own feelings about it.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:29 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,238,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
It’s Charleston, not Fiji. Not a destination wedding per se. There are cheaper hotels all around there due to lots of competition. You don’t have to go to the wedding to visit your Dad — you can see him anytime. And don’t worry about it being inconvenient for the others—that is just you projecting your own feelings about it.
No, my brother (father of the groom) has been unhappy about it from the beginning- tried gently to encourage them to have it in Charlotte but this is what she wanted. The groom's brother and SIL live in TX and have a one-year old; his sister and BIL live in Atlanta and also have a one-year old. Both could stay in Charlotte at my brother's house (or his lake house nearby) but you're right, I'm sure they're THRILLED to be staying in whatever place they're booking in Charleston. Dad and my brother and SIL, who live near his Assisted Living place, could have brought him up to Charlotte (a couple of hours away) and stayed with their daughter and SIL in Charlotte but I'm sure my 87-year old Dad is thrilled to be staying in a hotel instead.

Oh, wait a minute- I've talked with him. He's not.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Well, it may not be Fiji, but if the bride, groom and many guests including both sides of the family & friends live in the same city and the bride insists that the wedding be held in a different city then, IMHO, it is a destination wedding. And, in a destination wedding you can't expect that everyone can afford to attend, even if they would be able to afford to attend a wedding in their hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
No, my brother (father of the groom) has been unhappy about it from the beginning- tried gently to encourage them to have it in Charlotte but this is what she wanted. The groom's brother and SIL live in TX and have a one-year old; his sister and BIL live in Atlanta and also have a one-year old. Both could stay in Charlotte at my brother's house (or his lake house nearby) but you're right, I'm sure they're THRILLED to be staying in whatever place they're booking in Charleston. Dad and my brother and SIL, who live near his Assisted Living place, could have brought him up to Charlotte (a couple of hours away) and stayed with their daughter and SIL in Charlotte but I'm sure my 87-year old Dad is thrilled to be staying in a hotel instead.

Oh, wait a minute- I've talked with him. He's not.
Hmmm, the father of the groom is unhappy at the choice of venue and the grandfather of the groom is unhappy at the choice of venue. It is inconvenient for the brother/SIL of the groom. It is inconvenient for the sister/BIL of the groom. It is inconvenient for the other sister/BIL of the groom. It is inconvenient for the aunt and the niece (and her husband) of the groom. Hmmm, there appears to be a pattern.

But, obviously, I do not know all of the details behind the bride's decision of where to hold the wedding.

Old 11-04-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hmmm, there appears to be a pattern.

But, obviously, I do not know all of the details behind the bride's decision of where to hold the wedding.
Thanks- that's pretty much my point! No idea how her family (also in Charlotte) feels; I've never met them.

I do plan to go cheerfully, try and keep an open mind when meeting her, have a good time and NOT complain about the venue to family or other guests.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Well, it may not be Fiji, but if the bride, groom and many guests including both sides of the family & friends live in the same city and the bride insists that the wedding be held in a different city then, IMHO, it is a destination wedding. And, in a destination wedding you can't expect that everyone can afford to attend, even if they would be able to afford to attend a wedding in their hometown.

Hmmm, the father of the groom is unhappy at the choice of venue and the grandfather of the groom is unhappy at the choice of venue. It is inconvenient for the brother/SIL of the groom. It is inconvenient for the sister/BIL of the groom. It is inconvenient for the other sister/BIL of the groom. It is inconvenient for the aunt and the niece (and her husband) of the groom. Hmmm, there appears to be a pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Thanks- that's pretty much my point! No idea how her family (also in Charlotte) feels; I've never met them.

I do plan to go cheerfully, try and keep an open mind when meeting her, have a good time and NOT complain about the venue to family or other guests.
It could be as simple as the bride and/or bride's family does not mind spending a lot of money on hotel rooms for events such as weddings and the groom and his family tend to be more frugal.

Years ago, my husband and I, and our kids, once traveled with one of his siblings (and her family) to an out-of-town event. She said that she would make the hotel reservations at a "reasonably priced hotel" (and we would pay for our own rooms). Well, we usually stayed at places like Motel 6 (probably $25 a night at that time) but figured that maybe they would book something like a Holiday Inn (probably $50 a night at that time) so we budgeted more money than usual for the hotel.

Man, oh Man! We discovered that his sister thought that a $250 a night hotel room was "reasonably priced". That was the last time that we did not check out hotel prices for ourselves and book our own hotel room. BTW, his sister couldn't understand why we were shocked at the prices because that is what she/her husband normally paid for hotel rooms when they traveled.

We certainly learned that our definition of "reasonably priced" and their definition of reasonably priced" were very, very different.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
We certainly learned that our definition of "reasonably priced" and their definition of reasonably priced" were very, very different.
DS went to his cousin's wedding when he was a few years out of college; it was in NYC and both families were very well-off. (Groom's mother was my late ex-husband's sister; we're on very cordial terms but I was fine with not being invited and happy that DS was.) They got a "great rate" for wedding guests at the Carlyle- I think it was about $350/night. Whatever it was, it WAS a good rate for the Carlyle. I told DS we'd pay for one night and he could pay for the second- OR I'd get him 2 nights at the Doubletree Times Square with Hilton points.

He chose the DoubleTree.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM

11,369 posts, read 24,338,315 times
I’m laughing about this. Going to Charleston from Charlotte is not much of a hardship! I’m not sure if you’ve already gone, but you sound like an old scairdy cat making a fuss over this. It’s just not that complicated!

Just read your OP again. Holy mackerel! You called your nephew’s fiancée a bridezilla because she wants something a little more interesting than staying in boring old Charlotte to get married? That’s it?

You have a serious problem. Seek therapy.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I’m laughing about this. Going to Charleston from Charlotte is not much of a hardship! I’m not sure if you’ve already gone, but you sound like an old scaredy cat making a fuss over this. It’s just not that complicated!

<snip>

You have a serious problem. Seek therapy.
Scaredy cat? Last year I found my way to my Airbnb place in Reykjavik at 1 AM after getting in from the airport and being dropped off someplace nearby (thank heaven the SIM card I bought on board worked on my phone). I've wandered through Europe many times on my own. I've landed in Delhi at 1 AM and found that the driver who was SUPPOSED to pick me up and take me to my hotel wasn't there. No SIM card available. I could go on. No, Charleston does not scare me.

I have multiple nieces and nephews, though, as I noted earlier, who have small children, modest budgets and limited vacation days who either live in Charlotte or could stay with family there but are either driving long distances for the day or trying to find decently-priced accommodations.

I've had therapy in the past but haven't needed it since I divorced my first husband in 1997.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings