Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2020, 09:04 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,098 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...ding-dress.amp
BERKLEY, Mich. - As concerns over the coronavirus continue to extend across the planet, so have ancillary businesses that rely on global trade that moves with it.
---
Who would get a dress from China?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 06:12 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Check the labels of the clothing that is in your closet right now and you'll find that many of your newer items of clothing were manufactured in China--even those articles from upmarket brands. Wedding dresses are no different than other garments when it comes to county of origin--especially if the dress is purchased from a larger chain bridal store. (Not everyone can afford a high-end label for their big day.) Often, only the final alterations are made here in the U.S.

Even if a bride chooses to purchase a dress made by a local seamstress, there's a good chance that the textiles used to make the gown were manufactured in China.

China is a textile manufacturing behemoth, so it stands to reason that this viral outbreak would cause disruptions in the supply chain.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-17-2020 at 06:22 AM..

Old 02-18-2020, 12:06 PM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Check the labels of the clothing that is in your closet right now and you'll find that many of your newer items of clothing were manufactured in China--even those articles from upmarket brands. Wedding dresses are no different than other garments when it comes to county of origin--especially if the dress is purchased from a larger chain bridal store. (Not everyone can afford a high-end label for their big day.) Often, only the final alterations are made here in the U.S.

Even if a bride chooses to purchase a dress made by a local seamstress, there's a good chance that the textiles used to make the gown were manufactured in China.

China is a textile manufacturing behemoth, so it stands to reason that this viral outbreak would cause disruptions in the supply chain.
Now I'm curious. lol Not that it matters at this point but I'm going to try to remember to pull my dress from storage and check the label.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:11 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Check the labels of the clothing that is in your closet right now and you'll find that many of your newer items of clothing were manufactured in China .

Asia, sure, but I'm not sure about China. China has been too expensive to manufacture clothing in for quite some time. Quite a bit made in Cambodia, Vietnam, etc though.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:46 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Asia, sure, but I'm not sure about China. China has been too expensive to manufacture clothing in for quite some time. Quite a bit made in Cambodia, Vietnam, etc though.
Out of curiosity and to be certain, I just checked my own closet for reference:

While many of the newer items were made in countries other than China (including quite a few that were made here in the United States), a great deal of them were manufactured in China (mostly slightly upmarket brands such as Banana Republic, White House/Black Market, Martin and Osa, and Ann Taylor).

My most recent purchase from WHBM (made last December) was also manufactured in China. Perhaps there is still a significant enough profit margin for these higher-end(ish) companies to continue their existing manufacturing relationships with certain Chinese factories?

My own wedding dress from 2008 was made here of mostly U.S.-made materials.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 02-18-2020 at 07:54 PM..

Old 02-19-2020, 09:56 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I am in the process of buying fabric to create my own dress, and while I got most of it from a US based fabric website, the prices on their lace were unacceptable to me. So I was looking around, and of course there are a number of Etsy listings that looked appealing...but more often than not, I'd click on them, and they are coming from China. A couple of them even said to expect long delays (a month or more before orders would even be processed) because their whole operation had been put on hold due to the coronavirus outbreak.

I find it interesting that I've read articles saying that this is more like a cold or flu than anything, and only really dangerous to the very young, very old, or immune-compromised... Yet a lot of Chinese businesses are clearly stopped dead in their tracks at the moment because of it. Commerce does not come to a screeching halt over a sniffle.

It would be interesting to know how long this virus can survive outside of a living host, if it can travel on goods, or sealed in bubble wrap bubbles as some have (jokingly?) memed about... ?

Old 02-19-2020, 11:58 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I find it interesting that I've read articles saying that this is more like a cold or flu than anything, and only really dangerous to the very young, very old, or immune-compromised... Yet a lot of Chinese businesses are clearly stopped dead in their tracks at the moment because of it. Commerce does not come to a screeching halt over a sniffle.

It would be interesting to know how long this virus can survive outside of a living host, if it can travel on goods, or sealed in bubble wrap bubbles as some have (jokingly?) memed about... ?

I have seen lots of reports about it at work.....& it's a respiratory virus. So some of the memes & stuff going around is just panic BUT....also because there isn't enough known yet about how long it can survive on fabrics....like a wedding dress... or hard surfaces. Respiratory viruses are transmitted by airborne droplets tho....coughing....sneezing.....& breathing it in. That's why we say wash your hands after touching surfaces that might be contaminated with any virus....or why we wear masks in the medical field to avoid contamination. A N D most viruses can't survive beyond several hrs on surfaces anyways...but people will feel lots better when more is known for sure about THIS respiratory virus......

Old 02-26-2020, 02:15 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I have seen lots of reports about it at work.....& it's a respiratory virus. So some of the memes & stuff going around is just panic BUT....also because there isn't enough known yet about how long it can survive on fabrics....like a wedding dress... or hard surfaces. Respiratory viruses are transmitted by airborne droplets tho....coughing....sneezing.....& breathing it in. That's why we say wash your hands after touching surfaces that might be contaminated with any virus....or why we wear masks in the medical field to avoid contamination. A N D most viruses can't survive beyond several hrs on surfaces anyways...but people will feel lots better when more is known for sure about THIS respiratory virus......
I believe I've read the virus will last a good week or so on surfaces. They're talking about it in one of the threads in current events

Old 02-26-2020, 02:31 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I believe I've read the virus will last a good week or so on surfaces. They're talking about it in one of the threads in current events

Mhm...the new study was just announced several days ago. I think it has to be over 85 degrees to survive for like up to 9 days....but you would still have to touch the surface & then touch your mouth or nose..........edit: without washing your hands....

Last edited by TashaPosh; 02-26-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings