Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 12:59 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times

Advertisements

Thanks to the pandemic...stress...& uncertainty, we've canceled our Dec 31st wedding venue to do plan B. We will still get married on the same date by my groom's judge friend....it has personal & sentimental reasons attached....AND we are going to start planning a home indoor & outdoor reception in the late spring. So...lots of stuff to think about because we kinda have to start all over....from flowers & music to decor & food, because a lot of it was being provided or coordinated by the venue.

So.....since it won't be a big party where everybody sits down & eats at the same time now, it will be a buffet. Come & go...like an afternoon or early evening "open house" style reception where ppl flow between inside & outside. If you were going to a reception like this....what kind of foods would you expect? Should it be more like appetizer & finger foods...AND wedding cake ofc? Usually at parties that are like this....it's totally normal....BUT they weren't wedding receptions AND...it's a super big change from the dinner we were planning before.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2020, 02:16 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
If people are not going to have a place to sit, then you should stick with foods which do not require eating utensils.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If people are not going to have a place to sit, then you should stick with foods which do not require eating utensils.

There will be lots of temporary chairs added to our normal seating ofc...outdoor & indoor.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
There will be lots of temporary chairs added to our normal seating ofc...outdoor & indoor.
... but the point is that if there are no tables, you shouldn't serve food that requires being cut with a fork and knife.

Try doing it on your lap this weekend.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... but the point is that if there are no tables, you shouldn't serve food that requires being cut with a fork and knife.

thank you....ofc......that's why I asked in my O.P. what kinds of finger foods or appetizers we should have...what are ppl's favorites.

edit: AND ...there will be seating & tables......but ofc like any party like this, some ppl may decide to stand....or have to.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:04 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
I'm not sure what finger foods to recommend, but I would suggest, if possible, to rent some of those high round bar tables that people can stand at, or at least to set a drink or plate down, even if there aren't chairs.

It's uncomfortable to be at any fancy event in nice clothes, standing for a period of time, trying to balance a drink, plate of food and with two hands full, not even be able to feed myself the food, without spilling.

Old 07-24-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I'm not sure what finger foods to recommend, but I would suggest, if possible, to rent some of those high round bar tables that people can stand at, or at least to set a drink or plate down, even if there aren't chairs.

It's uncomfortable to be at any fancy event in nice clothes, standing for a period of time, trying to balance a drink, plate of food and with two hands full, not even be able to feed myself the food, without spilling.

Ofc..........we'll be adding tables & chairs. On our decks we will be able to fit probably 2 or possibly 3 long reception tables & chairs. Since ppl won't sit for long.....& they will come & go or move around after they eat, that could cover lots of ppl. AND...I am thinking a couple more smaller rounder tables out in the yard & chairs ofc. Kinda spread it out......BUT some ppl like to stand too. There will also be the kitchen table & the dining room table inside.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
What types of food to serve will vary by geographic region. Your caterer will be the best source of info on those specific choices.

Old 07-25-2020, 08:20 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Also, people may be squeamish about a serve-yourself buffet situation. You'll want to be mindful about shared serving utensils and the potential of people touching food.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Also, people may be squeamish about a serve-yourself buffet situation. You'll want to be mindful about shared serving utensils and the potential of people touching food.

It will be adults only AND catered so that attendants will be present to keep it constantly clean. It won't be like a buffet in a restaurant.....it's a private party. AND....it won't be until late spring or early summer. We are still getting married Dec. 31st tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings