Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:37 AM

9,123 posts, read 6,174,802 times

Advertisements

OP: Remember to stay away from anyone who attends the wedding since they may be carriers and infected from the large gathering.

56 COVID-19 cases linked to wedding reception: https://www.fox9.com/news/56-covid-1...tern-minnesota

Ten members of San Francisco wedding infected with COVID-19: https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/ten...remony-report/

147 coronavirus cases and 3 deaths linked to a single indoor wedding: https://bgr.com/2020/09/07/coronavir...-cases-deaths/

Maybe you should send the bride this information about a virtual wedding:
https://www.brides.com/how-to-throw-...edding-4844043

Old 09-16-2020, 08:57 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
OP: Remember to stay away from anyone who attends the wedding since they may be carriers and infected from the large gathering.

56 COVID-19 cases linked to wedding reception: https://www.fox9.com/news/56-covid-1...tern-minnesota

Ten members of San Francisco wedding infected with COVID-19: https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/ten...remony-report/

147 coronavirus cases and 3 deaths linked to a single indoor wedding: https://bgr.com/2020/09/07/coronavir...-cases-deaths/

Maybe you should send the bride this information about a virtual wedding:
https://www.brides.com/how-to-throw-...edding-4844043
Good information. I just don't understand why anyone would take the risk and have a large gathering of any kind.

Old 09-16-2020, 09:00 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Good information. I just don't understand why anyone would take the risk and have a large gathering of any kind.

Ita! A wedding celebration should be fun & happy.....not overshadowed by covid & worrying about friends or older family members getting sick. I would feel horrible.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 4,948 times
Her mom actually ended up messaging me saying they will have masks as “party favors”. So it’s not mandatory which still doesn’t seem safe. I know she invited around 40 people to the bridal shower alone. Also my friend never responded so I’m not sure what to tell her mom now

Old 09-16-2020, 01:21 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,106,671 times
I would not go even if she was fine with people wearing masks. It's just not a good idea to be at an event with so many people IMO. I'm not really sure what kind of people believe the virus isn't real. Not anyone I would want to be friends with honestly. Even if she doesn't believe in the virus, if she believed in your friendship she would respect your decision and you wearing the mask or not wearing it or attending or not attending the mask would not change your friendship. TBD if you are recovering from brain surgery the mask would be a good idea even without covid. I sure would not want you to watch a cold or flu while you are still so fresh from your surgery.

Anonymous posters on the internet have shown more care for your well being than your friend.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormoon850 View Post
Her mom actually ended up messaging me saying they will have masks as “party favors”. So it’s not mandatory which still doesn’t seem safe. I know she invited around 40 people to the bridal shower alone. Also my friend never responded so I’m not sure what to tell her mom now

Oh no... Tell her mom that you are sry but that you're not going to be able to attend because of covid & your surgery. It's not that hard. Have you never had to tell somebody you weren't going to a party or wedding or event before? AND this is in the middle of a pandemic & you just had surgery!!!!!

Old 09-16-2020, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 4,948 times
i did but ive never had anyone be this upset about it i did message her mom and told her that i still dont feel comfortable going and that i hope they understand but i need to focus on my recovery. I was just telling my mom that i hate how scared i am about everything/everyone. Ive always been a people pleaser and i hate upsetting people but i need to start looking out for myself.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
i did but ive never had anyone be this upset about it i did message her mom and told her that i still dont feel comfortable going and that i hope they understand but i need to focus on my recovery. I was just telling my mom that i hate how scared i am about everything/everyone. Ive always been a people pleaser and i hate upsetting people but i need to start looking out for myself.

Awe Sailor...you really do need to start looking out for yourself. Do a search online...you can find forums & all kinds of self help about feeling better about yourself or standing up for yourself. Everything from Cosmo........to Mayo Clinic...forums & articles. IMO take steps to do the work or feel better about yourself....so it's not a problem in the future. Ppl don't respect doormats or follow the crowd types....you have a mind of your own & be proud to show it off! Ofc that's super different from being mean or nasty to ppl. BUT..you are only doing the right thing for yourself & your recovery by not going to that wedding.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:07 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Quote:
Quote:

The very minimal you say to the mother is, "Thanks". She wasn't asking you anything, just telling you. And "Party favors" doesn't mean squat. I'm sure less than 10% of the guests, IF that, will actually wear them then & there at the event.

I don't know how they (the authorities on giving state & county rules) can say, "limit get-togethers to 10 people" because even 2 people isn't good if they don't live in the SAME household, so no one else knows how laxed or stringent each person is with who they come into contact with.

Can't people (not talking about you, OP) get it through their thick heads?! EACH person someone invited to ANY get-together each comes into contact w/ God knows who:

EACH Guest 1, 2, 3, etc. - May still have a job they commute to so they come into contact w/ whoever all those people are. Then, God knows how lax or careful each guest is on their free time (w/ their own friends & fam they come into contact w/).

That's a lot of different germs coming from EACH person, so when 50-100+ are invited, it's a recipe for disaster.

Have you heard of Jillian Michaels? She's this celebrity personal trainer. She got COVID & said how she slipped up & had her hairstylist &/or makeup artist come to her house for ONE HOUR & that's how she caught it. Having a hairstylist, etc. coming to the house doesn't mean squat. Yeah, after they worked w/ their 20+ other clients on their hair too.

Then have you heard of the ASYMPTOMATIC people in which they show zero symptoms, but they're really ill & will transmit COVID to GOd knows who because they "think" they're fine so they're out & about at stores, people's homes, etc.

sailormoon850, you've really got to grow a backbone & get firm. Everyone else are just people too. Have you ever heard the expression, "They put their pants on 1 leg at a time like the rest of us"? That means they're just regular people too, nothing special. Your b friend, her mother & everyone else out there on this earth are no more valuable or powerful than you. They're not the great, big Gods or something. Saying NO shouldn't meant a thing. You have your own mind & opinions, so you stand up for yourself. What are they going to do...slap you, hit you, kick you if you say NO?! Of course not.

Old 09-19-2020, 10:00 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
sailormoon850, watch this on-topic 10-min video that just came out from a licensed clinical pscyhoologist & university professor who specializes in NARCISSISM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9hqOg6S7D0

But just because you've been so-called "best friends for 15 yrs" doesn't mean she's even a "friend". There's a reason she didn't toss you aside all this time...probably because you're a people-pleaser like you say you are, so she knows she's got that loyalty from YOU, her faithful "minion/servant/groupie, part of her dumb posse", or whatever disrespectful term she thinks of you as. But you probably know for a fact that she hasn't been nearly as good a friend to you all these yrs as you've been to her. I'm sure you can think back & there are TONS of times when she wasn't a good friend (flaked out you, didn't bother you about other important things, etc.). Her not contacting you & seeing how you were during & after your brain surgery can't be THE 1st & only time in these 15 yrs. It's her character, her personality. And again, narcs get worse as time goes, not better.

She's NO GOOD. Is being a people-pleaser still worth it when the person thinks so lowly of you treats you like $h--?! With friends like this, it's better off not having friends. This has literally been a WASTED 15 yrs of so-called friendship, which was FAKE to begin w/.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings