Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 01:54 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But wouldn’t that take more effort to take diamonds to a jeweler who actually makes jewelry? When you find one that does that? And have them work with you to design something? Rather than walk into a jewelry store and pick out ring stock number 4628A-QZ?

I am a jewelry hound. And I looked for a few years to find a jeweler who actually did something other than put batteries in watches and sell stock stuff in their store. There’s a lot of “jewelers” who are just guys who sell jewelry...
She asked about passing down the stones from her ring and my opinion is that it is a nice gesture. I know of quite a few people who did that and were able to find jewelers to help design new pieces, with effort as you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 07:38 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
She asked about passing down the stones from her ring and my opinion is that it is a nice gesture. I know of quite a few people who did that and were able to find jewelers to help design new pieces, with effort as you mentioned.
My fault. This was a response to Tasha.

As someone who works in handcraft I always find it far more amazing that something that I made by hand specifically for a person with love and intent that took hours of creation means far far less than going into a store and buying something off the shelf. I get a little testy about that.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:58 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,569,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But wouldn’t that take more effort to take diamonds to a jeweler who actually makes jewelry? When you find one that does that? And have them work with you to design something? Rather than walk into a jewelry store and pick out ring stock number 4628A-QZ?

If you go to a high quality jeweler tho, you can select your diamond & your setting...AND do anything custom...to make sure you get what you want. IMO..stock numbers & overpriced low quality are reasons to stay away from malls & department stores. Many diamonds aren’t certified by the GIA...that little card is super important.^^

Picking the diamond is what takes the effort tho....AND a solitaire with a prong setting is still the most popular setting for an engagement ring...because you want a setting that shows off the “sparkle” in how it’s cut & light reflects.

So...there are limited ways to repurpose an engagement ring into an engagement ring IMO & still have it look like an engagement ring...because of the popularity of solitaires. Tho the O.P. said “stones”...so maybe she is giving her wedding ring too or she didn’t have a bigger solitaire for her engagement ring.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:30 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,556,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
If you go to a high quality jeweler tho, you can select your diamond & your setting...AND do anything custom...to make sure you get what you want. IMO..stock numbers & overpriced low quality are reasons to stay away from malls & department stores. Many diamonds aren’t certified by the GIA...that little card is super important.^^

Picking the diamond is what takes the effort tho....AND a solitaire with a prong setting is still the most popular setting for an engagement ring...because you want a setting that shows off the “sparkle” in how it’s cut & light reflects.

So...there are limited ways to repurpose an engagement ring into an engagement ring IMO & still have it look like an engagement ring...because of the popularity of solitaires. Tho the O.P. said “stones”...so maybe she is giving her wedding ring too or she didn’t have a bigger solitaire for her engagement ring.
Perhaps the O.P. had/has an engagement ring like mine, which was/is a nicely sized round-cut stone (blue sapphire rather than a diamond in my case) with channel set diamonds in the platinum band. A friend's mother's engagement ring consisted of a larger stone surrounded by smaller diamonds in a halo pattern. My mother's, mother-in-law's, and both grandmother's rings consisted of a small (by today's standards) stone surrounded by smaller diamonds to make it appear to be larger.

Not everyone wanted or could afford to buy a larger solitaire--especially back in the days when people starting out had a heck of a lot less money to drop on a piece of jewelry and a young bride's expectations surrounding engagements and weddings were generally not what they are today.

At any rate, an engagement ring is still an engagement ring even if it doesn't look like one to the casual observer. Several of my good friends had rings like mine in that the featured stones weren't diamonds (one wanted an aquamarine, another had an opal, and the other had an inherited emerald), yet those rings most certainly were engagement rings because of what they symbolized to both the wearer and the giver of the ring.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:28 AM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Default Update...

Hi there, OP here. How many pages has this thread got now? Lol!! Maybe time for a mod to close, but if Tasha is having too much fun arguing her point again and again, who am I to deprive her of a good time.

So nothing too dramatic to report, I offered the ring to my son, explaining a few options, and letting him know that it's entirely up to him and his girl and he could do whatever he wanted.
He thanked me and said he would consider it. Right now he's really focused on finishing his degree, but also seems close to making that "big decision".

P.S. funny little tidbit I forgot to mention... the main stone in the ring isn't even the original. The first one was smaller and fell out one day. I had inherited chunk of moolah from a relative and replaced it with the current, larger stone. So really, the main stone itself is from "Uncle Bob"! Lol!! (Everybody's got an uncle Bob right?)

Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,556,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi there, OP here. How many pages has this thread got now? Lol!! Maybe time for a mod to close, but if Tasha is having too much fun arguing her point again and again, who am I to deprive her of a good time.

So nothing too dramatic to report, I offered the ring to my son, explaining a few options, and letting him know that it's entirely up to him and his girl and he could do whatever he wanted.
He thanked me and said he would consider it. Right now he's really focused on finishing his degree, but also seems close to making that "big decision".

P.S. funny little tidbit I forgot to mention... the main stone in the ring isn't even the original. The first one was smaller and fell out one day. I had inherited chunk of moolah from a relative and replaced it with the current, larger stone. So really, the main stone itself is from "Uncle Bob"! Lol!! (Everybody's got an uncle Bob right?)
Thanks for the update! (The postscript was fantastic, lol!)

Old 03-22-2021, 11:36 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,569,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post

At any rate, an engagement ring is still an engagement ring even if it doesn't look like one to the casual observer. Several of my good friends had rings like mine in that the featured stones weren't diamonds (one wanted an aquamarine, another had an opal, and the other had an inherited emerald), yet those rings most certainly were engagement rings because of what they symbolized to both the wearer and the giver of the ring.

Ofc it’s still an engagement ring...Ita it’s what it symbolizes to the wearer & giver. I just assumed that the O.P. meant she would be giving her future daughter in law diamonds when she said passing “stones” for the ring.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:07 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,708,359 times
Quote:

Thanks for the update!

Some folks DO like to argue. LOL! Glad you were able to talk to your son about the ring, it's a very nice gesture.

Good Old Uncle Bob!

Old 03-24-2021, 09:05 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:

I only have 2 pages, I have mine set to show 40 posts per page.

I'm sure your son appreciates you offering. You never know what brides today will want with a ring. Some don't even want a ring.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM

19,374 posts, read 15,217,290 times
Quote:

Lol

This is off topic, but every time I see your thread title, it always reminds me of kidney stones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings