Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 06:57 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times

Advertisements

I've been invited to a friend's wedding later in the year. It is an outdoor wedding by a lakeside, which is a first for me, so I am not quite sure what appropriate attire to wear. The invite only says "formal or semi-formal attire, no jeans" but in the case of an outdoor wedding, what can constitute as semi-formal? A tuxedo may be too formal for an outdoor beach wedding I understand. I don't want to dress too casually but I also don't want to dress as if I were going to work either. I want to look as if I really did put on effort in dressing impressively so as not to embarrass my friend or any of her other guests. Can anyone help me out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 07:57 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
OK, so you're male. If you're the type who likes to dress up, do formal if you want because obviously the bride & groom know it's outdoors & STILL gave formal attire as a choice. Otherwise, do the other choice (semi). Any very nice 2 or 3-piece suit should be great if you want an in-between look as long as it's not some outrageous pattern nor a color like probably yellow, orange, or pink.

Old 07-15-2021, 08:30 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I've been invited to a friend's wedding later in the year. It is an outdoor wedding by a lakeside, which is a first for me, so I am not quite sure what appropriate attire to wear. The invite only says "formal or semi-formal attire, no jeans" but in the case of an outdoor wedding, what can constitute as semi-formal? A tuxedo may be too formal for an outdoor beach wedding I understand. I don't want to dress too casually but I also don't want to dress as if I were going to work either. I want to look as if I really did put on effort in dressing impressively so as not to embarrass my friend or any of her other guests. Can anyone help me out here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OK, so you're male.

It’s super weird they gave you both formal or semi formal. Since it’s outdoor AND they said no jeans, IMO they might be trying to get ppl to err on the side of formal but don’t really mean “formal formal”. I’ve never seen both on the invitation like that.

Do you have a date or spouse? What is she wearing? If she is going formal...you should too. BUT if you are going by yourself, a semi formal look with tailored trousers & jacket would fit right in. It doesn’t always have to mean a matchy match suit! As a matter of fact, it can look more sleek & fashionable if it’s not...you just have to think polished.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:07 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, sadly I will only be going by myself this time so it is even more important not to look awkward in front of other guests. I guess I will have to be creative and come up with a look that is both respectable and polished but not necessarily formal. What are opinions on neckties? On the one hand, I feel like putting one on makes me feel like I'm going to a work related function and yet on the other, it feels weird to put on a dress shirt and suit jacket and not have one on.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:32 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
We went to a lakeside wedding two summers ago and it was really a mix of attire. The setting was not very formal either. There were khaki pants, dress pants, short and long sleeved shirts, a few ties. There may have been suit jackets but it was a really hot day so other than the bridal party, men weren’t wearing them.

Old 07-17-2021, 09:37 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Depending on the venue and depending on the weather, I can see a sport coat with an open-collared dress shirt and khakis being appropriate. Outdoor, and not on the grounds of a country club or similar takes the formality down a notch.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:17 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Pick up the phone and call your friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings