Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 03:13 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times

Advertisements

Every time I look at a Wedding Registry it’s usually the honeymoon fund.

The Wedding Registry originally started to help a couple get started with a lot of the basics. Etiquette says that if a couple has everything or doesn’t need anything then there’s not to be a registry. Now the Wedding Registry has kinda morphed in to this honeymoon fund.

I usually give a gift from a traditional registry and have never given cash and the honeymoon fund is the same as cash. I have a distant cousin getting married and wanted to send something from the registry they only have the honeymoon fund so that doesn’t work for me.

My other cousin around the same age recently married and I was pleased to see a wide range of items in modest price range. I could tell they put a lot of thought in to their registry and were aware to not register for anything too expensive.

It’s better to not have a honeymoon fund registry only because you’re telling your guests you only want cash and everyone knows that if they want to give cash that’s always been an option without telling your guests.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:37 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
So you would rather buy them something that they don't particularly want or need over giving them money, which is always useful?

Old 04-13-2023, 06:53 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
So you're not going to give anything? That seems...mean spirited. Or are you planning on not attending?

Old 04-13-2023, 07:02 PM

551 posts, read 343,805 times
^Well there isn’t a wedding registry because they have everything and only have the honeymoon registry.

This is a distance cousin it’s a very small private wedding. Many relatives may or may not receive an invitation because it’s going to be small. I had planned on sending a small gift after the wedding to wish the couple well whether I received an invitation or not.

By the way a guest doesn’t have to bring a gift.

Your post a little dramatic.

Last edited by bellamax2; 04-13-2023 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-14-2023, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamax2 View Post
^Well there isn’t a wedding registry because they have everything and only have the honeymoon registry.

This is a distance cousin it’s a very small private wedding. Many relatives may or may not receive an invitation because it’s going to be small. I had planned on sending a small gift after the wedding to wish the couple well whether I received an invitation or not.

By the way a guest doesn’t have to bring a gift.

Your post a little dramatic.
Its expected,that if you attend a wedding that you bring a gift. But if you're not attending, no harm no foul.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:59 AM

841 posts, read 552,712 times
My husband's best friend recently got married. Second marriage for both of them. The invitation had the code on it to scan to take you directly to the wife's Venmo for a honeymoon fund. My husband went back and forth on giving them anything. They didn't give us anything, but we didn't invite them to our wedding either. (Private with the parents. Didn't even have siblings there.) Something about knowing it was supposed to go for their trip rubbed him the wrong way. With 4 teenage kids now between the two of them, and them always complaining about money, he just didn't want to give them more cruise money. So, I left it up to him, but reminded him that technically we never paid our money into the fantasy football thing last year ($20/each), but I don't think they ever gave out prizes either, because my husband came in 2nd. So, for their wedding, they got a card with the fantasy football money in cash inside plus a $25 gift card to Wal-Mart. I think that was his way of saying use this on your kids. My involvement was getting a card.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:23 PM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Everyone I know always gives cash for weddings.

In the olden days, we would write a check, enclose it in a card, and either mail it beforehand or bring it to the wedding.

Fast forward to today.

People don't use checks. Digital funds transfer, either Venmo, Zelle, or other online vehicle have replaced paper checks.

I don't get the same satisfaction in giving the gift when I just click some keys on the computer as when I actually had to write a check. I loved writing checks for gifts. I felt a connection to the bridal couple. Clicking keys doesn't stir my emotions. But that's the way it is.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-19-2023 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Rude; name calling.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:23 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I don't get the same satisfaction in giving the gift when I just click some keys on the computer as when I actually had to write a check. I loved writing checks for gifts. I felt a connection to the bridal couple. Clicking keys doesn't stir my emotions.

This makes no sense to me. Clicking doesn’t stir your emotions but writing a check does? A wedding gift is not about you….unless you’re the bride or groom.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:28 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Where I grew up in the midwest, giving someone cash (and asking for money) instead of a wedding gift used to be considered tacky. But times have changed. Couples generally live together and have most of the things that they need by the time they get married. So if they want money toward their honeymoon, or to charity, or whatever, and you want to give them something that's not going to end up in the Goodwill box, money it is.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:46 AM

Yeah...I don't have a problem with giving cash gifts.

When I married my second husband, I didn't register for anything. The two of us getting married wasn't about getting stuff. We had stuff.

My future sister- in- law set up a 'wishing well' and we received a fair amount of cash, that we did indeed use toward our honeymoon.

We also received many wedding presents, and I do believe we found a place for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings