Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times

Advertisements

To preface this question...I am under 30 and have been to probably 20 weddings but have never encountered this...

Cousin is getting married, she lives in a different state, we planned on going to the wedding when we heard she was getting married.

We got a simple "save the date" in Oct. of 2008 with just the "date".

We got the invitation just the other day (the wedding is in 8 weeks).

Well, there is the invitation, the reply card and a printed card with directions.

There is NO mention of a reception - not on the invitation and no separate card either.

Short of asking her...do I assume there is a reception?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Does the location give you any clues?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,716 times
Well, it is in a house of worship where a few years ago there was another family event of theirs.

That house of worship DOES have banquet space...

But I have never NOT seen "reception to follow" or an insert about a reception.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
I would call and ask her or her mother/other family members.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Ok, I guess that doesn't help then.

I'd be loathe to ring the bride and ask, only because she's probably got a lot on her plate right now and might see that as a triviality.

I guess it would depend on how close you are, the kind of relationship you have OR perhaps there might be someone else to ask? Just in passing maybe?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
To preface this question...I am under 30 and have been to probably 20 weddings but have never encountered this...

Cousin is getting married, she lives in a different state, we planned on going to the wedding when we heard she was getting married.

We got a simple "save the date" in Oct. of 2008 with just the "date".

We got the invitation just the other day (the wedding is in 8 weeks).

Well, there is the invitation, the reply card and a printed card with directions.

There is NO mention of a reception - not on the invitation and no separate card either.

Short of asking her...do I assume there is a reception?

Thanks
It doesn't sound like there is, but events like weddings usually require refreshments, even if it's just cake and lemonade on the church patio after the ceremony. Guests = food.

Is it possible that the reception invitation was accidentally left out? I know it must feel awkward to call the bride or her mom and ask, "So is there food or what?" If you don't can't figure out how to do it gracefully, and if you want to go to the wedding, even if only to find out whether this bride has the gall not to feed her wedding guests, RSVP yes but bring some snacks in your purse just in case.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times
I have heard there are people who get married in large churches who invite more people to the ceremony than to the reception...

What time is the wedding? That could give you a clue too- ie mid afternoon could indicate light refreshments on the porch of the church after, but nothing else; evening wedding really means dinner, at least for me. But as the others have said, ask a relative to be sure.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
Sometimes the church has a separate building where the reception takes place. You could call another guest and ask them if they know anything about it.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 AM

128 posts, read 638,903 times
I would assume you're not invited to the reception.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbet View Post
I would assume you're not invited to the reception.
That would be my assumption too and, were that the case and the venue was a long way from my home, I would politely decline but send a gift. Could well be that they're inviting a whole bunch of people to the ceremony but are limiting the reception to a small number. On the other hand, I don't know why anyone should feel that asking is somehow wrong or in bad taste. Ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings