Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:01 PM

203 posts, read 597,237 times

Advertisements

Being from the northeast, i have to say the supermarkets in south florida are really pathetic. We have publix, winn dixie and albertsons. They remind me of the markets we had in the Philadelphia area in the 1970's. Well i made a nice discovery today in Delray Beach. I went to check out the boys farmers market on military trail and all i can say is thank god. Now i have a place to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and seafood. The place is a little crazy inside and out but it beats the hell out of the crappy big name markets here. My question is, where are the other places around palm beach county that one can go to instead of publix. Aside from whole foods where are the best places to buy fruit, vegetables, seafood and meat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 04:45 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
Being from the northeast, i have to say the supermarkets in south florida are really pathetic. We have publix, winn dixie and albertsons. They remind me of the markets we had in the Philadelphia area in the 1970's. Well i made a nice discovery today in Delray Beach. I went to check out the boys farmers market on military trail and all i can say is thank god. Now i have a place to buy fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and seafood. The place is a little crazy inside and out but it beats the hell out of the crappy big name markets here. My question is, where are the other places around palm beach county that one can go to instead of publix. Aside from whole foods where are the best places to buy fruit, vegetables, seafood and meat?
It's a known fact that Publix is one of the few superb supermarkets in the U.S.A.. It's also a known fact that the supermarkets in the "northeast" are CRAP, compared to Publix.
That is my experience and that is fact, says Consumer Reports.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:43 AM

85 posts, read 272,063 times
Dead head I agree publix is a poor excuse for a supermarket.In the northeast isle after isle is fresh prepared food & salad bars & seafood bars that take up almost the entire produce & veggie section.
this is floriduh,it's probably not allowed,this is the county of NO,maybe you need a special permit or pay someone off.
produce is fresher @ some I STRESS SOME stands on the side of the road.Produce @ publix is often rotten or shortly there after you get it home.
These so called "FRESH MARKETS" whoopi doo wow cool,are no fresher at all.As if there new,everywhere else in the world they have had fresh markets since the beginning of time only in America has it been a new thing & floriduh is alway's johnny come lately.
Whole foods is often out of the price range for what you get, there's one here in the Gardens & I think it's a big to do about nothing.
Since I am located in the Gardens I can only share some places up here that I have found to be closest to fresh as the NE area of the Country.
C&D produce Military trail,before northlake.Foodtown,45th st just west of Military & Whinn Dixie on Broadway & Silver Beach rd,it's ok for a chain store (better than Publix).
Green Acre Farms in Greenacres is closest to you.Jog & 10TH ave .I do believe C&D produce has a south location,closer to you,there prices are down to earth & mostly everything is very fresh.
Being in a constant hot miserable sweaty endless summer I guess the produce wilts & rots fast & left to stand around.
One would think since Florida is a agriculture state we would offer better produce to our residents>>NOT

Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,436 times
I LOVE PUBLIX. I have also found great produce in boynton and boca for the past ten years. Much better and cheaper than our Manhattan choices.

I LOVE PUBLIX!!! I wish nyc had one or two.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:11 AM

203 posts, read 597,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
It's a known fact that Publix is one of the few superb supermarkets in the U.S.A.. It's also a known fact that the supermarkets in the "northeast" are CRAP, compared to Publix.
That is my experience and that is fact, says Consumer Reports.
have you ever been to a wegmans supermarket? I'm sure the answer is no after a comment like that. I've been all around the U.S. and i can't believe how far behind publix is to the rest of the country. I also noticed they have no real competition in south Florida which probably explains a lot.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM

623 posts, read 1,303,436 times
I also love shopping at Walmart for food, The Boys and Target now getting fruits and vegetables.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:22 PM

345 posts, read 1,642,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
YAWN .............. Another north easterner who thinks they know what "the best" looks like.

Whatev

Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 PM

31 posts, read 144,338 times
Rorabecks has great fruits and vegetables. Mario's Italian market is located in the Delray Square Plaza on the corner of Military and Atlantic. The Fresh Market in Wellington has a nice variety of everything. Haven't ventured into any seafood markets but will probably take a look at Gulfstream Seafood in the near future.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 PM

63 posts, read 156,077 times
we go to Western Beef on 441 near Hillsboro - the produce there is pretty good

Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
I used to shop in wegmans all the time u know what Whole Foods in East Boca is better than wegmans and my mom who lives in NJ agrees...I did like shoprite better than Publix....The Boys is AWESOME only place I go for my produce and Bialy's and other things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach