Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:18 PM

28 posts, read 59,463 times

Advertisements

What can you all tell me about the neighborhood the heights of jupiter? I know there was a shooting in there recently. Was this an isolated incident or is the area going downhill do you think? The houses seem reasonably priced in there w/ good school zones. We may be moving here eventually (here for the summer now) and am looking around a bit. I really like Egret Landing but it's a little pricey in there for us. We were hoping for more of the 250k -300k range. but I am having a difficult time w/that in Jupiter for a 4 bedroom or 3 bedroom w/ an office. Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Some areas of the Heights are better than others, and I think you can tell when you drive through.

To me, the heights has always been a good family area with good community spirit. At Christmas they have the most amazing neighborhood displays and participation.

But, if the Heights aren't for you, there ARE other areas in Jupiter. I'll run an MLS search later tonight and see if I can suggest other areas.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:46 PM

106 posts, read 563,548 times
I lived in the Heights a year ago. I found it family friendly and safe. I have many friends that still live there and like it very much. We purchased something in Egret Landing and we like it here too. It's a little stuffy but very family friendly. Hope that helps.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have read (and heard) a few bad things about Jupiter Elementary but have no first hand knowledge. I would prefer to get a place that wasn't zoned there. LisaLisa does your child go to Jerry Thomas? Do you like it? What do you mean by stuffy about Egret Landing?. I really like it but not sure if it's in our price range. We may move here early next year but would need to rent first till we sell our house. I would like to rent where we would potentially buy so my 7 year old won't have to change schools.

Old 07-15-2010, 05:21 AM

Tris, The Heights is a very friendly neighborhood. Lots of block parties and people just hanging out in front of the house. We liked that, we are very social. Egret Landing is family friendly as well but there aren't many people just "hanging". The caliber of people in here is a little more "uppity" and they act as such. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful in Egret and we love a lot of things about it. We have a 4/3 with a den/office and we paid $355. There are several one story homes available in here for around 400K. The homes here are larger than the Heights and the lots are MUCH larger. That is just one reason we chose Egret. I have 2 boys. Ages 4 and 1. My 4 year old attends Temple Beth Am and he start Pre-K in the Fall. I too have read good and Bad about Jupiter Elem but was wondering if I am being overzealous. We love the beach and can't shake the feeling of wanting to live even closer
Jerry Thomas is also another reason we chose Egret. It's an A rated school with a nice mixture of ethnicity. I too would not want to move my child once they get established in a new school not to mention moving from another town. May I ask where you currently live?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Hi Lisa, We currently live in Gainesville, Florida. It is a 4 hour drive north of here. My husband is here doing an internship at an engineering firm for the summer and the kids and I have been here about a month. I have an almost 7 year old boy and twin girls that are 17 months. My husband will graduate in December and Jupiter is one place we are looking at to possibly move if he gets a job here. This is a second career for him we are in our late thirties and have owned our house for 15 years and don't think we will have trouble selling it as the houses go fast in our neighborhood. If we do move here I am interested in putting the girls in Temple Beth AM as well for preschool. We aren't Jewish, but i know it has a good reputation. Can I ask you how much it costs? I couldn't find that info on the website. Also, do you know if there is a waiting list? I like the fact that Egret has the larger lots. We can't stand the zero lot lines as we are used to a big yard. I work from home so we need a house w/ an office or a 4 bedroom. Do you know if the houses in Egret sell fast as a general rule. I always worry we will buy and then he will get transferred and we would have trouble selling. I want to buy in a good area that we won't have trouble selling if we have to. Also, does your HOA fee include the pool, cable etc.? I have read different things but it seems pretty cheap to include all of that. Thanks so much for all of the info. - Tris

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM

The Association fees are $325 Quarter. It includes use of the community pool and basic cable. As for Temple Beth Am...I don't think there is a waiting list. It is considered one of the BEST schools in Jupiter and my son absolutely loves it and it's worth every penny. It is expensive, His tuition for Monday through Friday from 9-2 last year was $500 per month. I can't recall for this year because he is getting the VPK voucher. The houses in Egret tend to sell pretty quickly. Our house is currently on the market (about 2 weeks) and I have had approx 8-9 showings. The realtor specializes in Egret and sells tons of houses in here and she thinks it will take approx 3 months to sell. We shall see
If you want a house with a yard you wont find much of that in the Heights. To find something affordable and with some leg room is tough. Jupiter Farms is not for me but a lot of people like it. Large lots with plenty of space and affordable too. You may want to also check out The shores. It's not cookie cutter and it is also in very good school districts. I really hope this helps. I know how difficult it is to make decisions on where to raise your family and get the lifestyle you are looking for. I would be happy to give you my number and we can chat. My younger son is 19 months...Who knows...maybe he would love to hang with twin girls

Old 07-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Lisa, you can email me your number if you want at Trijess3@aol.com. The kids and I are actually going back home on Saturday but will be back for 4 days or so the first week in August I think. Thanks so much for all the info, you helped a lot. I do have one more question. What do you pay for homeowners insurance? I know I need to consider that before we move as I know it's much higher here since it's so close to the water. Thanks so much, -Tris

Old 07-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Sure, Our Homeowners policy is $1700 per year. I will e-mail you my number. If you have any questions feel free to call. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:02 AM

98 posts, read 167,291 times
Default Egrets Landing

Is there still a Bond that gets paid with the taxes? We will be looking at Egrets Landing and Evergrene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach