Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 11:22 AM

232 posts, read 773,542 times

Advertisements

I am purchasing a house built in the 80's with no hurricane shutters. I thought about bypassing the shutters and going with hurricane windows instead. Would this add a 100% value to my home via my investment? It's my understanding that insurance does not drastically go down as I thought it would - they use to but not so much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:26 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
If I could afford it right now, I would get impact windows.

They have other benefits besides hurricane protection, including sound proofing and security enhancement for the home.

Impact windows can still get damaged in hurricanes, but won't typically shatter. I think that's why the insurance benefit is not as good.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:03 AM

232 posts, read 773,542 times
I am getting CGI windows/slides in a month. Did alot of research and they seem to be good windows and are aggresivly pricing to get into the PGT market.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 9,455 times
Hurricane window investment will eventually pay for themselves after a few years, There will be a discount on your homeowners insurance if you fully protect all of your homes openings including doors that will need to be hurricane approved. This is one investment that will not date your home like a kitchen remodel can. Window upgrades with a transferable warranty is the best way to go.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
We just renovated an "historic" home and did the impact windows. expensive yes, but we couldnt be happier with that decision (particularly vs. some of the other not so good ones). we ended up going with the darker frame and a tint which really helps with the sun. outside of the obvious hurricane protection it is also extremely helpful in preventing breakins. we just had our security system installed and the installer said so many breakins occur through a broken window/slider. very difficult to do with an impact resistant window and when the miscreant sees them (pretty easy to identify) they might just move on given the challenge...

Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
The Wind Resistant Windows are worth it for many of the reasons already mentioned...but if you do invest make sure you buy one's that do not bleed...our home came with the Wind Resistant Windows and during the recent cold spell several of the windows formed condensation and puddled on the window sill...

What I found out is there are different grades of Wind Resistant Windows and you need to do your research before you invest...

Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 AM

134 posts, read 282,680 times
I am surprised that "Florida Hawkeye" would need to ask a question like this. Yes, of course go with the windows, if you can afford them (Shutters are not cheap either.) Besides all the other good advice, shutters can be a nuisance, even good ones...

Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM

Since this topic was first issued I actually did go ahead and get windows. Love them. I actually feel more secure in my home and won't have to fiddle around with shutters the next time a storm comes around.

Best of all they come with a lifetime replacement warranty if they break, scratch, etc. for any reason - including hurricane.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM

110 posts, read 88,809 times
To TriMt7:
Can I ask where you got your windows, what kind they are and what company did the install? I am considering replacing all my windows (house was built in '83). My biggest reason is for noise reduction as I live next to a busy street but, the security factor would be a bonus. Thanks!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCakes572 View Post
To TriMt7:
Can I ask where you got your windows, what kind they are and what company did the install? I am considering replacing all my windows (house was built in '83). My biggest reason is for noise reduction as I live next to a busy street but, the security factor would be a bonus. Thanks!

FHA... they send out a high pressure sales consultant though, which was a major turnoff. I turned them down twice before they finally got down to a price and deal I was comfortable with.

They push their vinyl window product, but the historic board in my neighborhood didn't allow vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach